At What Age Should a Child Be Able to Dress Themselves?

Hi there! So I have a 3 1/2 year old son with SPD and with that has horrible motor planning issues. Some things that he should be doing are obvious to me, like he shoud be able to climb a small ladder at the playground, but some things I am never sure if it is his age or his motor planning problems. So what age did your kids dress themselves? We have been working on putting pants and underwear on all by himself and with A LOT of practice he is definitely getting better and can do it by himself with some direction in about 2 minutes, so that is good. We havent even attempted at trying to put a shirt on yet, the thought makes me cringe! LOL! Any input would be great! Thanks so much Mamas!

My kids go through phases. At 6 and 4, we go through stretches of time where they do a great job on their own, then it switches up and I have to pick out everything from their underwear on out.

Then again, I'm 37 and my mother still thinks I don't know how to dress myself properly. Maybe it's genetic. :)

My baby is 4 and has been able to dress herself since probably 2.5. Although some days that kid acts like she can't even put socks on!

My daughter was getting herself dressed (sometimes backward or inside out) at 2 years old, but my son had no desire to dress himself until he was 3 or more. He could, but he had no desire to. My son is now 5 and still gets stuck in a shirt occasionally... come to think of it so have I = )

I think your son sounds actually pretty on track to me.

My oldest is 23, he still has problems. :p

My younger son has a fair few issues, aside from the stupid button fly jeans his dad bought him, he has been able to dress himself since around six and a half.

Don't worry.
Don't feel in a rush about it.
He is a boy and also has SPD etc.
Just practice.
It will come.
He will be fine.

My son is 4, he can dress himself, but still, boys can be later in "fine" motor skills.

Differentiate between 'gross' motor and 'fine' motor skills.
Most kids are better at one than the other.

At that age, I still helped my daughter. My son too.
No biggie.

Just practice.

Just make sure you tell him the 'tag' goes on the back.
So they know which side is front and which is back.

And, per this age and toileting... just practice with him about 'how' to pull up and down his pants/underwear.
Use clothing with ELASTIC waistbands.
Much easier.... and more manageable for young children.

Your son is young.
I wouldn't fret over it per him dressing himself or not fully, yet.

I would say by age four at the latest.

My kids learned and practiced in stages.

For example, I would orient the short properly and pull it over his head -- and then tell him "put your arms in". A next step might be laying in out on the bed so he could pull it over his head and do the arms...

Off is usually easier than on, so you might want ot encourage that. "Take your pants off, so we can put your jammies on."

ugh....i hate this battle. my son is 4 and has been able to do it since probably 3 or 3 1/2...now whether he wants to is another matter. it used to drive me batty because i figure, he CAN do it, he NEEDS to do it. but then i figured, he knows how, i taught him, that's my job. just because he CAN do something, does that mean he necessarily HAS to? so i do help him if we are rushed or he's being a booger. plus.....he's my little bug...if he's going from point A to point B he will find fifty flowers to sniff in between lol. so a lot of times i do help him. then there are rough mornings when he stayed up too late fighting sleep, or doesn't feel great, and then it's just better if i help. but yes, he is completely capable of doing it. just depends on how badly he wants to :)

1 / 3