At What Age Do Kids Start Taking Showers? Is 3 1/2 Normal??

My step son will be 4 in March and he tells my husband and I that he "takes showers at mommy's house not baths." She moved into her boyfriend's house around August so he has been taking showers since then (but from what we know they are supervised bc he says mommy takes them with him.) I thought that was a little young but I also usually disagree with almost everything his mom does. So I just wanted to see what other people did and if this is normal or not.

He doesn't seem to mind the fact that he showers over at her house but he definitely LOVES taking a bath at our house.

I took showers with my Mother and Step-Dad (all together) from very young till I can remember. I am female. My 2 yr daughter showers with me or dad, but she also loves baths.

Side note: "but I also usually disagree with almost everything his mom does" makes me think you need counseling, perhaps solitarily or joint with husband and ex. My parents were divorced when I was 6mos old and they have fought and belittled each other my whole life. It has made me nothing but miserable. Even when they "hide" it. I can tell. I hope you are not making a bad situation worse for this little boy.

My son is a little over 3 and he has taken showers with ever since he could stand up. He also enjoys baths with his brother on occasion (it takes a while for my bathroom to recover when they do though :-). I wouldn't worry too much about this one.

My daughter will be 3 in April. She has been taking a shower for about 4 months already. She loves it.

My son is 2 and he would rather take a shower than a bath. Not trying to be rude but as long as she's not hurting your step son then it really doesn't matter if you disagree or not. Thanks!

I too have a step child and she likes to take both baths and showers.. At our house if we are in a hurry we usualy take showers. It saves on water and time. However, baths at night time is a great way to spend quality time with you child. I wouldn't worry to much on the his age as long as he is supervised.

My younger son was around 3 or maybe a bit younger when he got his first shower. He definitely prefers a bath, but sometimes we do a shower when we are in a hurry. When he was younger he would shower with me, but now that he is 5 I wash him through the door but don't get in with him.

I have four year old twin boys...one prefers the shower and one a bath. On most days because of speed, they do showers with me standing outside of the shower washing their hair and body for them. They've been doing this for a couple of years so I think it's perfectly normal. Honestly, I prefer them to shower, I feel like they are getting cleaner....when they stand up out of the bath, I just can't help feeling like their bodies are covered in soap and shampoo from the bath water. But the shower leaves me feeling like all that is pretty much rinsed off so the shower is definitely my preference...

No right or wrong age , my son has loved showers since about age 2...it's actually a good thing that he doesn't mind having water running down over his head and face , some kids freak out at that.

There's no right or wrong age I think! My daughter has been showering with me on occasion since she was 18 months or so. Usually she wants to take a bath because she likes to play with her bath toys, but sometimes she prefers a shower (and still plays with her bath toys, they just don't float in the shower! lol) Whatever he prefers is fine I'm sure!

1 / 3