At What Age Did Your Child First Have a Sleepover

At what age did your child first have a sleepover

Thanks for all of the answers. The advice was that the age for a sleepover depends on your child's temperament and emotional readiness. most people recommended after age 5 for sleepovers with non family members and the average seemed to be around 8 years old. The other key piece of advice was to make sure that you know the parenting style of the other parents well.

Do cousins count?
In that case, they were having sleepovers very, very young.
Both of my children, a girl and a boy, had sleepovers with friends either at my house or at the friend's house in kindergarten. I knew the parents well and we lived close by just in case one of the kids changed their minds and wanted to be home or something. We never had any problems, but it depends on the kids. My daughter had friends that we didn't invite to stay the night because they were either unruly or were crying 10 minutes after their parents left even for a birthday party. It depends on when the kids are ready for it.

Really young. 3 or 4? My kids have had sleepovers practically every weekend their whole lives. Do whatever you are comfortable with.

I must be a "bad mom" because my dd has slept over friends' houses since she was maybe about 2 years old. She does fine. We don't have bio family nearby so our friends are our family. Of course, it was with people we know well and trust.

BTW, probably 99% of people who are child molesters are family members and are not on any Megan's list.

I think it was around 9. They had fun, and I was very clear on them getting some decent sleep so they weren't so wiped out the next day.

My six year old daughter just had a sleepover a few months ago for a girl in her first grade's class. There was a total of 7 girls and I think they all did well except for one. It is really up to your daughter and if she can handle it. My 6 year old has an older sister whoe is 8(third grade) and has gotten to do it before so she was so excited to be able to do it herself. Ask your daughter and see if there is any hesitency in her voice. All else fails have her go and tell the parents to call you before they all go to bed and you can come and pick her up if she still wants to come home.

I have two daughters (5 and 8) and they both have spent the night with (mom-selected) friends since they were 5 years old. Of course, I was very close friends with their friend's parents. Whenever my girls felt like they were ready and they wanted to stay with their friends, they were allowed. They also knew to follow the other house rules, especially on bedtimes. I also let them stay before they were invited to slumber parties because slumber parties can be overwhelming with lots of girlfriends.

Do cousins count?

For sleepovers with freinds, maturity of both children need to be considered. My 8 yr old son can sleep over places or have a child here, but he cannot have the kid behind us here(who is 6 months younger)because that child is emotionally not ready or mature enough.

Know the parents and their parenting style WELL before you have sleepovers.

My oldest daughter had her first sleepover party when she was turning 8 and we had a bunch of girls overnight. It was OK, but I remember one girl got homesick and cried and we had to call her parents in the middle of the night.

Other than a birthday party, I think my girls were more like 10 years old before they did sleepovers. Generally I was more willing to have kids come over my house, rather than allow my kids to go to other's homes. The only way I let them sleep elsewhere is if I know the family well.

I think it is up to you and how well you think your child can handle it. It is also important to find out how the other child does with sleeping over and if its the first time, make sure to have good contact info for the parents so you can reach them if the child needs them.

Val

We've been approached for sleepovers but haven't had any, unless family/cousins count (I'm not sure they do). We also have spent the night as a family at a friend's family home. Not sure that counts either.

After hearing that sleepovers should begin around age 3 or 4, I asked my favorite veteran mom for guidance and her answer was "NO NO NO NO NO. Not until she's NINE."

I'm happy for my kid to spend the night with family. After all, ;) I know those people pretty well. And we enjoy the overnights with friends in our home or theirs. But I don't think either of those are considered typical sleepovers.

I can't exactly pinpoint why, but, I agree that all non-family sleepovers can definitely wait until age nine.

The choice is definitely yours. If you feel comfortable with the sleepover host, your child probably does, too. And if you don't feel comfortable, whether with the host or with the idea of leaving your child in someone else's care overnight, don't be pressured into it. It's your decision, mama!

1 / 3