At What Age Can You Tell What Your Child's Dominant Hand Will Be?

My son is 24 months old and eats only with his left hand, draws only with his right and sucks on his right thumb alot. My husband is ambidextrous and Im right handed. When will his dominant hand be more obvious?

I would say if there is a dominance it is likely to show very early. If not then you will see around kindergarten. Believe it or not I knew my daughter would be a lefty when she was an infant. As all baby's kick their feet, she was always more dominant with the left foot, it always hit harder and made a louder sound. I watched as she grew and I was right, she is a lefty!

Most definitely! Or at least I think so. And it's so funny you ask this because me and my 11 year old were sitting with my daughter who is 15 months and he said "Mom do you think Mikayla will be right or left handed???" My daughter sometimes uses her left hand but most of the time it's her right...like for drawing and eating. And right now as I'm typing she is holding her sippy cup with her left hand lol!!! I'm pretty sure my daughter will be right handed just like me & her father and I'm sure it should be obvious by now what your sons dominant hand will be! : )

I wasnt sure until my youngest son was 4! (my oldest was one and my middle child two or so) toddlers and preschoolers will use both hands a lot but start to favor one eventually.

I think not until at least K...when they really start writing a lot.

In can change, and if she does all the things you say with both hands it might just take her that long, if not a lil' longer to completely be sure.

~My oldest son is a lefty...but really he only writes and eats with his left....everything else like batting in baseball, bowling, playing guitar he uses his right....then my youngest son is a righty but really only for eating and writing but everything else, batting, shooting arrows, bowling, snowboarding he is a lefty....some kids can be really hard to tell...don't push or suggest a hand, just let them figure it out for themselves.

My son would reach for toys at 5 months with his left hand. When he was a year we noticed the he would throw things with his left hand. he ended up being left handed.

I think it's around kindergarten age, although with my daughter (who is 3), she's used her right hand for just about everything since day 1 - it's what she automatically uses for drawing, feeding herself, etc.

It's obvious now. He's ambidextrous but he favors his right hand.

Our oldest son started using his left hand pretty much as soon as he could start grabbing and reaching for things. He's now 4 1/2 and still using his left hand for everything.

1 / 3