At What Age Can They Burp on Their Own?

First time momma here to a beautiful 1 month old boy, who happens to be gassy. At what age, I wonder, can infants burp on their own? Also, can anyone recommend a good site for developmental milestones?

Thanks,

A great book (I think they also have a website) is called Secrets of the baby Whisperer by Tracy Hoag. I give it as a gift to all my friends who have newborns!

L.,
Congrats on your new little one! He will need burped for quite some time, but as a fellow "boy mom" I can assure you that once he STARTS burping on his own, he will not stop! LOL

Check out www.aap.org.

Mine is nine months and can burp on his own but if I hear juices jiggling in his little tummy I still help him out, I would say they can start around 6-7 months or so. One of my favorite sites is babycenter.com, lots of great info!! Congrats on your new little one"D

I seem to remember it being about the time they started moving/crawling more.

Dear L., Congratulations Mommy! It seems to me that babies burp on their own when they are sitting up in a high chair and eating by themselves. If your baby is gassy and you are nursing, watch what you eat. If not, when you bottle feed make sure the formula covers the nipple area. If not the air gets in as baby is sucking and this causes excess gas. Grandma Mary

I would highly recommend purchasing the book What to Expect the First Year. It is such a great resource of information on developmental milestones and really useful tips.

As for burping, I believe that my children were able to burp themselves after they started sitting up on their own and holding their own bottles, around 6-months. If you son is particularly gassy and you are breastfeeding, you may want to take a look at the foods that you are eating to see if there is anything there that may be causing his gassiness. I know that broccoli is a big culprit but can't remember what else. Also, gently rubbing his tummy in a clockwise motion can help relieve a gassy stomach -- but you still want to burp him after feeding him.

Hope this helps. Congratulations on your new son.

They can always burp on their own, but you still 'burp' them after every nursing or when they seem full when they haven't had much to drink.

Get the book "What to Expect the First Year" for milestones.

Not until he can move on his own. I think around 6 or 7 months maybe...
I dealt with bad gas with both my girls. A few tricks I learned: Burp them more often, make sure they're not gulping too much air as they're nursing or taking a bottle, if you're using a bottle, make sure the flow isn't too fast. There's an exercise (I guess that's the right word) you can do that helps too. Lay your son on his back and sort of push his knees into his tummy. That maneuver always helped my girls if they had gas. Keep some Mylicon on hand. The stuff is a lifesaver!

I seem to recall it was about the same time he started crawling. So between 6-9mo.

1 / 3