At Home Cold Remedies... What Really Works?

My 4 year old is sick with the cold, and I feel horrible. He coughs so much, and he says his feelings hurt(although he really means his lungs). I can see it in his little eyes he doesnt feel good. I dont want to give him cough medicine, only tylenol and motrin for when he is running a fever, but what else can I do to help him be more comfortable. At night is when he coughs the most, and it makes it hard for him to sleep. He has a bad past of coughing so hard that he gags and vomits. He is a picky eater already, so him throwing up on top of it makes me want to pull my hair out! And the cherry on the cupcake? Im pregnant!!! I cant get sick too!! I heard giving him 1/2 a teaspoon of honey will help with the cough is that really true? I put vicks on his chest, to help him breathe so he isnt so conjested. What else can I do?

Give him tea with a good amount of honey and some cinamon. We also give the kids homeopathic remedies. We use Briar Rose, which helps the immune sytem. We have seen Dr. Feder in L.A. (see her website). At that age we gave 12 drops in the morning and 12 drops at night. For coughs we also gave lithy tree. (same amount of drops). Read through her website.

We stopped giving my son over the counter medicines when he has a cold or cough and I have noticed he gets over them much quicker now. Warm showers work great to get the mucus out. Teach him to blow his nose and spit out any yucks that come up. Lots of ice water and orange juice. Cool mist humidifier at night helps too. When my little guy is stuffed up he will sometimes take 3-4 quick showers a day and it helps clear him out.

He should go to the Doctor.

What if he has Bronchitis, or Pneumonia, or RSV, or Pertussis, or Croup etc.

OTC remedies, will not cure that.

A family friend of ours swears by a remedy for coughs that his mom (a nurse) taught him. He says to slather a generous amount of vicks on the bottoms of your child's feet and then put on the warmest socks he has and put him in bed or on the couch to rest. They did this with his son a couple of weeks ago when he had the flu and it was the only way they could stop his cough. He said it sounds funny but it relieved his cough for 6 hours at a time.
Of course it is a good idea to see his doctor. But if they give you the generic "it's just a cold or virus" diagnosis home remedies can really bring some relief.

You've got some great responses from other mom's. I just wanted to add that you need to make sure he's drinking lots of clear fluids throughout the day too. And warm fluids will help to soothe that irritating cough.

I'm pregnant too and my kids have been sick this winter. Both kids have had colds, ear infections, and my son just got over pneumonia. I was exhausted from being up with them at night and from having cranky kids during the day, but I never got sick. So don't worry about that too much. Good Luck and I hope your little guy gets better soon!!

Yes, a teaspoon of honey helps.

Get a Vicks vaporizer for his room at night and use the Vicks vapor liquid. It helps a lot with the coughing and breathing at night. Make sure he's propped up with pillows on his back, that will help.

Vicks on the bottom of the feet really does work for bad coughs. I've been doing it for the past 7 years and it works everytime. Wish I could explain why. A tsp of honey and lots of water. I did just buy Maty's cough syrup made with Buckwheat honey but I think the next time I might try the lemon and honey that Lynn suggested and save my money on the syrup.

Hi, my family did this, My mom would go get a bottle of golden gran its 190 proof. and get honey, you take about a shot of that and mix it till were you can easy poor it, and give the child a teaspoon-tablespoon of it.
Always worked for us

Saline nose spray and a steamy shower helps loosen congestion. Drinking plenty of fluids(including pineapple juice) can thin the mucus. Ibuprofen or tylenol can reduce the swelling to make it easier to breathe.
Honey, mint tea, warm apple juice, chicken soup, or popsicles could soothe the sore throat.
At night, you can try elevating the head of the bed by putting blocks under it or a folded blanket under the mattress(If I just used an extra pillow, my son would roll off it in the middle of the night).
If the fever lasts for more than 4 days, or comes back a couple days later even worse, or if it sounds like he's gasping for air- then you should probably take him to the doctor. It can be worse in kids with asthma or allergies. Last time I took my son in after 4 days of fever and coughing, and he had pneumonia. It took 3 different round of antibiotics to get rid of it.

my 6 and 4 year olds like using Breathe Right strips for kids at night when they're congested. They think they're fun!

1 / 3