Aspartame & Sucralose in Yogurt & Kids Behavior

I just realized the yogurt my son eats every morning has aspartame & sucralose in it... this kind of alarmed me because I remember the uproar on aspartame some while back.. and I also have heard that some of these chemicals are associated with behavior issues in children.

My son is a typical 3yo, lots of energy etc... but, I began thinking that a while back (maybe when he didn't have the yogurt everyday, but I don't specifically remember) he seemed calmer & a better listener. I'm thinking of eliminating the yougurt for a while to see if there's any noticeable change in his attention etc... Do any of you moms have any experience or thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Try going with natural ingredients as much as possible. Never give kids sugar free stuff. There are so many side effects from this stuff. If you remember Saccarine caused cancer after it had been used for a few years.

All of these artificial sweeteners they are coming out with in the past few years do not have long term studies done yet because they have not been on the market very long. When the kids of today grow up they may all have deformed kids or something from using too many artificial sweeteners as children...I know that sounds silly but it could happen.

I agree with all the other comments. Stop TODAY! Throw it out, it is not worth $2.89 for reprocussions (sp?) later in his life. It is an excitotoxin. Dr. Richard Blaylock has a good book out about excitotoxins ( do n't remember the name) it might even be Excitotoxins. Go with your gut!

Many things that you wouldn't expect have these in it unfortunately. Don't stop with yogurt-just get him the good stuff. Look in the organc section. And now is the time to do it-before he develops the taste for bad stuff.

You can always switch to Stoneyfield Farms organic yogurts and Yo baby (also by stoneyfield) - they are 100% organic at every level.

I did a research project in college on aspartame poisoning. I look at every label every time now. What I learned would scare any mom. Do not give it to your kids!!! Do not take it yourself. It causes 92 diseases, or can mimic 92 diseases. It causes brain cancer, head aches, etc... if we stop buying it maybe they will get the hint. I hope I didn't sound too harsh, but be careful. Go organic as much as possible. If there is sugar in it, it won't be processed.

From Kenneth Bock, MD in his book "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics . . . " (p. 228-229):

"Aspartame is also an excitotoxin. Its only active ingredient, phenylalanine, is an amino acid that helps govern the function of the brain and nervous system. When too much phenylalanine hits the brain, it can cause hyperactivity and other behavorial symptoms" [this comes from the sub-section "Reactive Food Additives].

I'm not a fan of sucralose either - if my memory serves me correctly it is a modified derivative of sugar (?). I could be wrong so double check that one.

With my children I try to stick with whole foods and real cane sugar (as little as possible). Anything derived chemically makes me very nervous. Our children should not be the guinea pigs for these "food" stuffs never before introduced into the human population. Some people call it frankenfood.

That's JMO and I'm not a health care provider of any sort.

Here's to good health . . .

no way would/do i give that to my kids or myself.... my son eats tons of yogurt, i go organic on yogurt and anything else i can, especially foods they eat a lot of. i dont treat my lawn, i use natural personal care/cleaning items whenever possible, and always for the kids... there are so many options now, natural products are in typical grocery stores, you dont have to go crazy to really reduce your chemicals. we are already immersed in so many chemicals and so much radiation all around, i try to reduce it wherever i can. i was just in target today and soooo happy to see so many natural products at regular prices.... we get stonyfield yogurt, easy to find, same price, also, it comes in the big containers, less plastic waste :)

You are right on to be concerned! I'm super health-conscious and buy nothing with artificial sweeteners (or flavors/dyes) in it whatsoever; I've done a lot of personal research on the subject. Just google the subject matter and prepare to be amazed. I second the suggestion to buy organic yogurt, free of artificial sweeteners, colors, rBST and antibiotics. :)

1 / 3