Area Rug Under Dining Room Table with 2 Young Kids - Crazy Idea?

We've got an oak table on oak hardwood floors which we use for our primary dining area (no eat-in kitchen).

I've got an 18 month old and a four year old, and will probably have a third child.

Is it a crazy idea to put a rug under this dining room table, since the kids are still quite messy eaters? I found a rug that would look awesome in the room, sort of unintentionally, and wonder if it's a good idea to use it.

thanks!

Thanks for all your input! I decided to take a pass on the rug and keep with the bare floors. Have a great week!

If you love the rug, get it- but keep Splat Mats or plastic over it until the kids aren't so messy. If you have grown up guests for dinner or a party you can always uncover the rug for that. But don't risk ruining it when the kids are small. Just put some plastic mats down over it!

I do the same thing to prevent my kids from scratching the floor in my kitchen. You can always replace the rug, but replacing the floors are more expensive.

Lots of people we know having dining room rugs. My kids aren't very tidy eaters so I'd be forever cleaning up stains.

My rule of thumb is that I try not to buy anything I can't bear to lose to children's accidents, so if it's light-colored or expensive, I'd pass. But if you're OK with having to do some stain treatment, and it's perfect - why not. Maybe you could put down some sort of plastic protection (like the kind you see in model houses sometimes) under their places for meals until the baby is a little older. Or you could put a little children's table in a corner if it's a big room, away from the rug.

Are you kidding me? Advice for this? Just trust your own judgement and use the rug.

i have a 5yo, 7yo and 3 mo and have a rug under my dining room table. we eat at the table for every meal we eat at home, also for snacking since our house is an open floor plan and we can see tv from the dining room. as long as you don't mind cleaning up a little every day and you have somekind of stain protector on your rug. it also helps that i have one of those little green machine rug cleaners. that thing is so easy and cleans up pretty good. my rug still looks beautiful and has survived spilled strawberry/chocolate milk, ice cream, chips watermelon. it also helps to have a darker color rug and we have 2 dogs that get the big stuff. lol

In my mind it sort of depends on how often you eat in the dining room vs. elsewhere (like the kitchen). If that's your usual spot and you don't have a dog to help with clean-up, I think it sounds like a pain, since sweeping is how we usually deal with dropped food. As long as you don't mind the rug clean-up vs. the hardwood cleanup, I say go for it. It's unlikely to stain beyond what can be cleaned, though you should be ok with that possibility.

I would pass on the rug. Hardwood floors are so much easier to clean than an area rug but that is just me.

In case you ever reconsider, we have an indoor/outdoor rug from Ballard Designs under our breakfast room table. You can take it outside and hose it off if it gets too dirty (e.g., yogurt or applesauce spilled on it.) We've had our for 5 years and it looks great and does a super job of protecting the floors. We've also had tons of compliments on the rug.

1 / 3