Are Two Puppies Really Easier than One???

My boyfriend and I recently purchased a French Bulldog puppy.. she is now 16 weeks old. After the last vet appointment he was telling us that it is easier on us to have two puppies instead of one... Is this true? I have read and heard of it before but have never put much thought into it until my vet told us that this past weekend? If so, what are some good dogs that will get along great with our Frenchie? Besides another one of them? Too much to afford a second :-(.... He said it was so they can entertain one another and not be bored at home which will cause them to either turn against us or get very depressed.. fortunately my boyfriend is at home with her while he is on vacation but that will come to an end soon... Any advice is welcome! Have a blessed day mama's!!!

Ahem.. NO.
Puppies are a TON of work. We found that a puppy and an older dog were a good combination, but they are still a TON of work... Don't do it.
LBC

Hell no! That just means that there is twice as much poop to clean up while you are housebreaking. I tell you this from experience...we bought 2 boston terrier puppies 8 years ago and it STILL haunts me. We couldn't even use the puppy training pads...the two little heathens would use them, play tug of war with them, and shred them. We had them locked in a spare bathroom while we were at work and we would come home to two puppies covered in poop and shredded puppy pads...it was awful.

Two puppies easier than one, no but two older dogs are easier than one. It is like kids...two in diapers is harder than one. Good luck with everything. I say go for it! Unless you have really young kids! :)

That's kind of like saying two babies are easier than one. No, I disagree. You have to housebreak two puppies, and as you are obviously finding out, it's hard enough to do one! Take the puppy to dog parks and areas where it can socialize with other dogs. This might help.

No, that is an urban legend! Seriously, it is harder to have 2 dogs. Just give the one you have your attention and it will be fine without a compadre. Even take him to day camp once a month - much easier and cheaper than another dog. Good luck to you.

Hahahahaha. No.

We got a second dog when I was pregnant with my daughter, thinking that they would have each other to play with, not be lonely, etc. I love her dearly, but did she make my life easier? No.

Dogs can get lonely if they are alone all the time, but if you pay attention to the dog when you're around and treat it like a member of the family (a well disciplined member of the family) your dog will be just fine.

LOL!!! NO 2 puppies is not easier than 1. That's funny.

Ahem.. NO.
LBC

I see from your profile that you have 2 young children. Maybe if the kids were older and more self-sufficient a 2nd pup might be a good thing, but let me tell you from someone who has had 2 dogs (now down to 1 =0(
and 2 very young children...it can be much harder with 2 dogs.
Our first dog had severe separation anxiety, and in that respect adding a second dog helped immensely. BUT, that was before the kiddos. They WERE our kiddos. Once the kids arrived, logistics got harder. How do you walk dog(s)/puppies, train them, housebreak them, take them to the vet with 2 young children in tow? Planning to be away for the day? A walker needs to come in, especially if one of the 2 isn't able to "hold it" for long (like one of mine). Expenses...twice as much for kennel/sitter fees if you plan to go away overnight, twice as much for vet bills including regular preventive care, shots, flea/tick and heartworm preventive, twice as much shedding, twice as much food. It really does get expensive. We had to rehome our anxious hound after 6 years with our family because he could not adjust to the military moves and the kids in the house (he was sweet with them, but very anxious) and despite medications, training, behaviorists, etc. his behavior got worse and worse...no one was happy. He's now in a home where he's content with one other hound, a stay at home mom to only dogs, and we get updates that he's doing very well. Our girl still with us...she's LOVING being an only dog! I find that one dog is MUCH easier at this point. Ok, so I wrote a novel...but here's my take. Wait and see how your dog does as an "only dog" and if she does well and has no issues with separation anxiety, don't add another to the mix unless you REALLY REALLY want one yourself. If she seems to be having issues in a year or so and has a hard time being home, consider fostering another dog to see how she does, and if it's a match...great!

P.S.
Just read a poster comment and just to dispel a myth, greyhounds DO NOT need a lot of exercise. I have them as pets and they are EXTREMELY lazy. BUT you cannot let them off leash in an unenclosed area or you're asking for trouble because if they WANT to run, they will!

I think it all depends really. If you are planning on treating puppy like a baby and taking her everywhere 1 is easier. We had 1 golden retriever and took him everywhere, then got a second one to keep the 1st one company and then the car became too small for the both of them so they stayed home more than before. These two were especially onery though and they behaved much better without the other one around. Kind of like kids when you have the two together its crazy and then one goes over to a friends for a sleep over and you realize how easy the one is without the other. I now have a 5 year old german longhair pointer and a 1 year old mini schnauzer and i think it was a good thing to wait til the one dog was a bit older before adding the craziness of another puppy.

NO!
We rescued 2 puppies (from different litters) 5 years ago. I love them, but they're as difficult as my 5 kids some days. Training is much, much harder w/2, especially if they have very different personalities.

1 / 3