Are There Any Safe Haircare Products for Infants?

My 6 month old daughter has very thick and curly hair and it is extremely difficult to manage. I find myself leaving it as is after shampooing and conditioning because no matter how softly I try to comb it my daughter wails uncontrollably. Can anyone help me find safe detangling hair care products for an infant? I would be eternally grateful for any good suggestions. Thank you very much.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for the advice. It has been truly invaluable. Even though I already used a comb with relatively wide teeth, I decided to purchase one with even wider teeth and I am taking the suggestion of combing through the hair while washing it. This helps a lot! In addition to this, after reading through all the suggested products, I did my own research and decided to go with Carol's Daughter. I am a woman of color and I like that they have all natural products, designed specifically for people of color that won't strip away the natural oils in our hair and our bodies. I ordered the baby wash for my daughter and decided to order a couple of products for myself as well (must be sure to take care of mommy too. :) I am looking forward to trying out Carol's Daughter and I hope that it delivers the results that it's been hyped up to deliver. If not, I will give California Baby or Melaleuca a try, and may need to contact one of the associates who were so kind to email me. Thanks so much for all your help.

M. A.

Try finesse conditioner on her hair while washing.. and then a little leave in.. it works wonders on my child.. good luck

California Baby makes a nice detangler. It smells nice and is safe. It is pricey, but lasts a long time. Good luck.

Hi Markisha. Try using Johnson & Johnson's No More Tangles. I used that on my daughter when she was a baby and it worked wonders. I also used a pick instead of a comb and started from the bottom of her hair on up. Good Luck.

I have 2 suggestions for you:

1. www.carolsdaughter.com

You can even call and ask what specific product suits your little girl. I have two little girls with very curly hair, and it's always a challenge finding just the right product, but their products are good and all-natural.

2. I haven't tried it yet, but someone told me that Target has a brand detangler that works wonders. I've only seen the Pantene brand each time I go, but it sounds good, and the Target brands are just as good as the brand names.

hello,

I have two grandsons with curly hair, I have been in hair care for a long time...baby colesterol, comes in a tub it is cream color it lasts a very long time. costs about 5 to 6 dollars at most, well worth it. Can be found @ CVS, I love, love, love lil curls.
While her hair is wet softly run your fingers through it as a comb, a pick or large wide comb will work best when your done softening with your fingers, if need be. Finger do's work best for curly cue's. Have fun loving up those moments they go by so fast, this grandma is still tring to catch up with sleep as a pass time. lol. Be Well...;) Oh and do treat your own hair to some, so you can really tell how it works.

California Baby makes a hair detangler that is chemical free. Depending on the texture of her hair you could also try a little olive oil, used very sparingly.

I have a mixed background (mostly black & white) and therefore, my children and I have to have consistent upkeep on our hair. I found when my children were 2 and under that Shea Butter (even Johnson & Johnson) makes this product - mostly as a skin lotion - but it works)worked real well with frizz and tangles. There is also "Just for Me" product line for children hair that works great too...And when your child gets older - herbal based products are always great!! but I have had wonderful experiences with "Fanatasia" or "Motions" product line - most of these products are made by & for black people and have produced very manageable hair for myself and my children. Another product which is great when you want to go curly - is Ice promeade - but this is for when your child gets a little older - for right now Fruticis (sorry I forgot the spelling) leave-in conditioner is great as well and smells good too!

Try California Baby products. They are all natural and great products. You can get them at Diapers.com.

i used paul mitchelle they have a leave in conditioner u can try.you can put it in wet or dry hair.

Hi M., My Grand daughter has very curly hair. I found the most gentle conditioner and a comb with large teeth, we called a No Boo-Boo comb and while her hair was still very wet we were able to get through it. I can't give you a brand name but I'm sure the baby companies make something safe. Best wishes, Grandma Mary

1 / 3