Are Pepperoncinis the Same as Banana Peppers?

I'm making Italian Beef for a party tomorrow, and I always used pepperoncinis. My husband said banana peppers are the same thing. I thought that might be a good idea to use instead because they would be easier to put on a sandwich. Then again, one could pick out the pepperoncinis if they don't want them on the sandwich.

Oh, does it really even matter that much?

So, what would you serve on the side if people wanted to add more flavor to their own?

Here's the recipe I use. I know lots of people use beer, but my husband is a recovering alcoholic and does not use alcohol of any type in cooking.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotpotroast/r/bl121...

I've gotten lots of good feedback using this recipe! Yum!

Noooo! Both delicious, but not the same.

What Jo said .... Not the same. But, more importantly, care to share the recipe for Italian Beef? My husband is from the Chicago area and would love for me to add this to the dinner menu some night ... But I wanna tried and true recipe. ;)

Not by a long shot. Different flavor, different pepper. Peperoncinis don't have to be used whole. If the only reason is you don't want to deal with the stem, cut it off and take out the seeds.

Our favorite, similar, recipe is to put the roast in the crockpot with the whole jar, juice and all, of pepperoncinis. Cook until done, then shred. Excellent and so easy!

No, they are not the same the flavor is VERY different.

Why not use Gardiner and sweet peppers, you can get them at most grocery stores, at least in the Chicago area?

I never put anything with the beef itself, I have on hand to add to it, shredded cheddar, mozzarella cheeses, Gardiner, sweet peppers, rolls, croissant rolls too, along with mayo & mustard for those that like it that way too.

Wow, that recipe looks awesome! Sooooo going to make this next week- thanks very much for sharing! YUM!

ETA: I would serve fresh, steamed green beans on the side.

ETA again: Oop- I read that wrong... I would put a bottle of "Franks Hot Sauce" if anybody wanted to increase the heat factor. But this sounds like it wouldn't need any additional flavoring.

I use ranch dressing mix and a the juice and all of the jar of chopped pepperocinis.
The Marrzaretti's Hot mix is pretty spicey.

1 / 3