Are Healthy People Dying of the Flu?

The flu is all over the news and the dealth report is climbing. I just heard 20 children died of it. They don't say if they were healthy or not. My gut reaction is to think they were very young, immuno-suppressed, or sick to begin with. Most of the people who die from the flu are elderly. Does anyone know about those children that have died from it this year?

I'm a healthy young woman (30 is young, right?). In 2010 I almost died of complications of the flu. I was hospitalized for a week with pneumonia that resulted from the Influenza A strain.

So yes, healthy people can and do die from the flu.

Yes, there are "healthy" people dying of the flu. I know that here in TX there was an 18yr old athletic young man who came down with the flu Christmas night and was dead 12/29. I also know of a 22yr old healthy young lady in OH who came down with flu and died last week. What seems to happen is that they get the flu and then get pneumonia, bronchitis and/or strep on top of it. So, they die from a combination of illness so that it's not solely the flu. At the end of the day, though, yes, some people who are typically considered healthy are dying.

Sigh. People who call any kind of sickness a "flu" just don't seem to understand that influenza is SPECIFIC, including influenza A, influenza B and the swine flu (H1N1). They can actually diagnose these with nose swabs. They don't ASSUME that someone has the flu - they use a TEST to diagnose it. Vomiting is NOT the flu. PLEASE let go of this. It just makes people roll their eyes and know that you don't know what the heck you're talking about. OR it makes someone who is ignorant actually believe that everytime they get a stomach bug that they have the flu that a flu shot should have kept them from getting.

It also can HURT someone, this ignorance of what the flu is. They could actually have food poisoning, think that they have the flu, and not go get help. They have all these toxins in their body and just stay at home saying they have the flu, and can end up with organ failure.

What I really don't understand is that with all these threads about the flu here on MP, including reminding people that "stomach flu" and the flu shot have NOTHING to do with each other, we're still getting lectures from people telling us they haven't thrown up for years. Gee, the day you DO get the flu and there's no throwing up, maybe you'll figure this out?

Again, sigh...

MzKitty, the stomach "flu" is not the flu. The flu shot, no matter how effective, will do nothing to stop the stomach flu. Why? Because the stomach flu isn't the flu, it's a gastrointestinal virus. Your mom gets a flu shot every year and gets a stomach virus every year. That's not unexpected. It's the same as saying I got a tetanus shot and then caught a cold. Your post is nonsensical.

Healthy kiddos die from the flu every year. Way more healthy people die from the flu than get serious complications from the flu shot. The numbers lie in favor of getting the flu shot. And, even when the flu shot isn't totally effective, it can reduce the severity of the flu once caught.

When I was 20 (and healthy as a horse, had never had the flu before, and of course had never had the flu shot at that point), I was hospitalized due to the flu. I felt horrible for several days, went to see my doctor, who called an ambulance and had me admitted to the ER. So, yes, perfectly healthy people can die from the flu. I might have, had I not gone to see the doctor when I did.

There was a huge world wide flu pandemic during WWI. More soldiers died from the flu than battle related injuries.

The flu is a respiratory illness, sometimes it becomes pneumonia and that is the actual cause of death. The flu is nothing to mess with. If you are sick stay home, wash hands often, and take reasonable precautions to stay healthy.

There are people, including children, who were otherwise perfectly healthy prior to having the flu who are contracting the flu and dying. Most of them so far have NOT been very young, immune-suppressed, or sick already. And the flu season hasn't even started yet.

The Influenza is now in 47 states and reaching epidemic proportions.

It's very scary. It's all in the respiratory system, and I'm actually quite fearful right now even though I had my flu vaccination because I AM immune-compromised (I have Fibromyalgia and related health issues). I'm recovering from a severe care of bronchitis and was finally able to go back to work today after being home with one of my daughters (who has had bronchial pneumonia or bronchitis) last week for four days... and she was on Tamiflu just to be cautious. I work in a business where every single coworker has a compromised immune system and so do our consumers. As long as I'm "recovering" I'm at very high risk.

I had to bring in a dr's note to prove I'm not contagious. Most offices in my area are asking employees to do the same thing. Get checked out preventatively and/or "just to be sure" and bring in a note or stay home until you're well. When healthy teenagers and early-20's are dropping dead from the flu, it's serious.

At least one was a normal healthy kid.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/health/texas-teen-killed-fl...

Additional:
Actually there are flu strains which hit young adults worse than kids or elderly.
The Spanish Flu of 1918 was like that - which was why there were so many orphans.

1 / 3