Are Gifts Required for Engagement Party?

My husband and I have been invited to an engagement party and surprisingly, I have never been to one! I know for bridal showers or weddings you bring a gift and I intend to do so at that time, but are you required to bring one to an engagement party? If so, what type of gift would you give?

I have never been to an engagement party were gifts were presented, this is more a celebration of their announcement. I think a card is perfect, and at the very most maybe a nice bottle of wine if the party is at a home and you feel the need to bring something. Enjoy!

Usually at the time of an engagement party they are not registered yet. But, you could ask and bring something small. If they are not registered yet, a gift certificate is nice. You could give her a gift card to get her nails done for the wedding.

It really depends on how much money you're going to spend on wedding/shower gift(s) for your friends. If you're wanting to be generous and you're planning on getting a wedding gift and another gift, then go ahead. Or, if you're just wanting to get one gift--give it at the wedding. You can give something small at the engagement party---at the very least, you should give a card. I understand, so many parties for a single occasion can get expensive. Don't feel you have to give presents at every event. Spend what you can afford only. have fun at your party!

1 / 3