Appropriate Thank You for Large Gift of Money

Hi, My husband and I just received a very generous cash gift from a family friend to help us in the purchase our first house. I've never been given such a large cash gift from outside the family before and I want to find an appropriate way of saying thank you (they live in a different city). I'm concerned that if I give an elaborate bouquet of flowers or something expensive, they might feel that we are being careless with our money (and we need every penny!). A card alone doesn't seem like enough. Any suggestions? Have you had experience with this on either end? Thanks so much for your help!

I personally love Halmark. It's not to expensive but you can find sentimental thank you gifts that are meaningful and wont look like you spent to much.

How about if you send them a nice basket of chocolate chip cookies (or whatever they would like) once a month for a year or two? That would help them to know that you haven't forgotten their generosity!

I think a very appreciative letter would be very welcome. From the heart explaining how much it means to you and how much you value their love and assistance.

E.

I know it may sound strange but how about planting a tree in your garden in honor of them. Then send them a nice picture of your family with the tree.

When my husband and I got married we befriended the owners of the country estate where we had the reception and after the wedding they took the plants and bulbs from our center pieces and planted them in a little garden just for us to show us how special they found our wedding. It is one of the lovliest things anyone has ever done for us and we love to go and visit 'our' garden when we visit them. They send us little notes about how it's growing just like our family is. It's incredibly special and I think something like that for your friends would be lovely.

Congratulations on your new home. x

You said it was for a new home? How about a thank you card with pictures of you in it?? LOOK! Me and hubby in OUR front yard! YAY! LOOK! Me and hubby in OUR kitchen! WOOHOO! Look...oh wait, sorry, not gonna show you THAT picture of us in OUR bedroom! *wink* LOOK! Our children sleeping in THEIR rooms! Thank you for making OUR dreams come true, we couldn't have done it without you!
Believe me, it will bring a tear to their eye and they will know exactly how you feel. =)

Hi N.!

Wow, what blessing for you and your family! I have an idea for you. You could send them a thought rock, and get one for yourself as well. It is a pretty "rock" small enough to keep in your pocket, that says "I am thankful for..." The idea is that you keep it with you to remind yourself to be thankful for all that you have. You could send them one and tell them that you got one for yourself as well, and they are on the top of the list of the things you are thankful for! Just an idea, here is the website: www.thoughtfulthinking.com

Best Wishes!

How about a photo montage of you and your family enjoying the house that their gift gave you the opportunity to enjoy ? A picnic in the back yard under a tree, or a run through the sprinklers or the husband up on a ladder hanging the drapes or someone taking it of both of you as you point " a little to the left, no a little to the right..... If you have had a birthday party there or a holiday meal gathering, then maybe a picture of the table and everyone sitting around smiling. Maybe a picture of the hubby with the kids asleep on the couch or all gathered together with popcorn for a movie night. Maybe also one of your office/work space, even if it's messy, since you work out of your home. Heck, even sleepyheads in pajamas can be fun picks saying we are having sweet dreams and sleeping well in the beautiful gift that you gave us. Don't know if you have any pets but a picture of Fluffy in a favorite window or Fido in front of the fireplace kind of completes the family circle. Then you are just out the cost of the film, the processing, the frame, and the postage, yet they really get to see how much you appreciate the gift. Just some ideas, but I am sure that you will come up with more.

N.

Hi N.-
What a blessing! Lately, my husband and I have been blessed with one anonymous gift that paid a long time debt and another gift from my parents- unasked for- to help us pay a second debt. They also, in turn, when I was growing up, received a large sum to help them purchase their first home. What I can say is that there is not enough gratitude in the world for people who have and are willing to help those in need. It's a gift that can most certainly never be repaid except by your continued efforts of good stewardship and responsibility.
The first thing I would say to do is write a hand written, heartfelt thank you note. Let them know what a blessing they are to you and your family. Take a photo of the house, of your children and your family in the house, and tell them how they helped make this possible for you. YOu don't need to drip and ooze thaks every time they come- a truly grateful heart is evidence enough. As for a gift, have your children make them something they can put on their refrigerator- a magnet frame with puffy cut outs, pieces available at your local craft store- and a picture of them in their new yard or bedroom, etc. Make sure they are on your Christmas card list, etc. They are now a part of your extended family even more so.
THe last thought is to - once you get your home in order - invite them over for a light dinner with the family for the next time they are in town.
I hope this helps- and am very excited for you!
-E. Mc.

You say they live in a different city, but is it near enought for you to invite them to a nice dinner in your new home sometime after you've moved in?

E.

Wow we are actually in the same situation. Please let me know if you get a really great idea for a thank you. If you dont mind sharing. I do love the idea of something to do with pictures

1 / 3