Appropriate Gift Card Amount

Not sure if this has been asked, but what do you guys think the appropriate amount for a 12 year old birthday gift nowadays? I was giving between $20 - $25, but that was probably close to 10 years ago. Is it different? I don’t want to seem cheap. Also a girlfriend’s birthday lunch. (Typically, we pay for the birthday girl, but its always nice to have a little extra. Coffee, pedi gift card?). Thanks in advance!

Based on the response, I ended up purchasing a $15 gift card from Starbucks. Had an awesome lunch! Girlfriend could've cared less about material gifts. Just being in good company and having a little break from the kids was more than enough. As far as the birthday party for kids is concerned, now I have a general idea on the gift amount. Thank you so much to everyone for the very helpful advice:-)

I have a pile of neices and nephews. We do gifts around $15 for each of them. There are too many kids in my family to go all the way to $20 or 25. Nobody complains :)

For a friend I aim for between 10-15 We spend about 25 on nieces and nephews.

20-25 seems very generous to me. I only spend that much on my neice, who's 8. I can't afford to spend $20 for all my friend's kiddos.

A girlfriends bday -- I would LOVE if someone bought my lunch, but yes, a nice little gift would be great too. Pedicure would be great, as I don't buy that for myself ever.

Unless you are well off, I don't think anyone expects more than 20 dollars. I think as long as you are giving what you can, no one should question or second guess. If you guys are chipping in and paying for your friends lunch then a little gift card, like say 5 or 10 dollars from Starbucks or some other "treat" place would be appreciated. Manicure would also be good, pedis around me are 30 bucks.

I think $25 is good.

20-25 would be a great amount. I would do less if the child is not a close friend - 25 if they are good friends.

A girlfriends birthday - if everyone splits her lunch, then a small gift would be nice. Maybe you could all contribute a few bucks and get a gift card to her favorite place(s) - preferably something she can use for herself rather than a restaurant etc.

For the kids, I usually go with $25... for the friend, lunch and a massage gift certificate would be nice... even if you can't afford the whole amount, give some towards it, or ask the others to chip in.. a massage is always something we don't do for ourselves, but should! If she doesn't have to pay, there is no excuse for not going and relaxing by herself in a nice candle lit room with a great massage. (she will thank you for it 10 times, well, I know I would!)

I think the amounts you mentioned for a 12y.o. are perfectly fine.

As for your girlfriend, the little extra is just icing on the cake. I think a small amount on a card is great, like the coffee or pedicure. The only thing I'd suggest against is purchasing a card of smaller value and expecting her to chip in the rest. There is nothing more annoying than someone giving a gift card of $40 for a massage if the massage is $80. Sometimes the recipient can't afford that extra and wouldn't have chosen to spend their money that way.

Another fun thing that I got recently is a Groupon gift card. I loved it because I got a great deal (and got to pick it out myself) and the person giving doesn't have to spend that much either. $20 can get you a great gift!

1 / 3