Appropriate Age for American Girl Doll

Is my daughter too young for an American Girl Doll? She'll be 5 1/2 at Christmas. If I'm going to spend so much money, shouldn't I buy it now so she doesn't grow out of it so quickly?

I got my daughter the Bitty Baby when she was younger. She is 6 now and has a regular doll, that she got last Christmas. I do have rules for her with the doll, as far as not bringing it outside. I think it is appropriate for her age though.

My daughter got Molly at 6 and Kit came to live with us when my 2nd daughter was 5.
THe girls are now 13 and 15 and pretty much the dolls sit on a shelf but they were played with quite a bit from the time they got them until they were about 10 or 11.
I think she is a perfect age. Be sure to get the books. My daughters loved them as well.

Grandparents bought our girls their dolls when they were that age. They LOVED them. But our 13 year old no longer plays with them, the 10 year old still does. However there are other dolls that are a LOT cheaper. My 10 year old received on bought at Target for about $39 I think. She loves that one just as much. Here is a link. http://www.BFCink.com/ For the clothes, if you google "18" doll clothes" you will get many sites that sell clothes that fit American Girl Dolls and their clones. I do not think the kids know the difference at that age, so I would start with the cheaper ones if I had to do it again.

My oldest daughter is 12 & just gave hers to my 6 yr old - they enjoy them for a while but they are expensive. I asked my mother in law to buy my youngest a less expensive one last year which I 'm glad she did because she doesn't even know where it is! My oldest was about 5 or 6 when she got her 1st one.

we got them their first when they turned 5. they got their 2nd for kindergarten graduation (almost 6). now they're asking for felicity because she will not be sold anymore, so they're getting her and some accessories for xmas.
i personally dislike the existence of such a doll. i didn't even know it exists until we moved to NY. now, that's all my 6 year olds talk about.
they do not treat those dolls any differently then any 5 dollar doll, but i cannot restrict their play with them just because they're so pricey. so i let them bring them with them when we go out and about.
yes, kids are ready at age 5 and up.
parents will never be ready.

I got my first American Girl Doll when I was 6, and loved it until I was about 8. Kids will grow out of toys so quickly just because it's not hard for them to lose interest.

whats the difference?? a doll is a doll right?? im confused here...

My granddaughter got her first one at 4 years old. She has always been really good with her toys. Mom also laid down the rule that the doll was not to go outside! --R. H.

1 / 3