Anything to Help Me Sleep More?

I have a 5 week old and he has gotten into a bad habit of only being able to sleep when he is being held by someone, and usually that someone ends up being me from 2 am- 10am, non stop feeding and sleeping every hour. As soon as I get him doozing i'll place him in his crib and he starts stirring and then it escalates to crying and then another feeding. it seems nothing can settle him. Also now for some reason he has hardly slept today, and is just fussing, like hes bored and then calms down and then fusses again in another couple minutes. I am in dire need of some sleep because I get sick very easily without it. Any suggestions on how to get him sleeping longer?

Have you tried wrapping him in a blanket? also play a musical toy for him or a radio then he thinks someone is in the room with him. My son was wrapped up in a blanket for about 3 months he needed to feel like he did in the womb.

Try swaddling him and putting him in a swing. My kids only slept in the swing for the first 8 weeks of their lives!

My daughter did the same thing at that age, and I slept horribly. I know they say to put them on their back to sleep, but I would lay her down on her belly so it felt like she was laying on me kind of, and that worked for us! As for getting him to sleep longer, I think that just comes with time..Good Luck to you!

You have gotten some great adive here and I just wanted to reiterate what some have already said. Learn more about co-sleeping, get the Happiest Baby on the Block book, and the No-Cry Sleep Solution. Both will be extremely helpful. This behavior is very natural and it will eventually pass. Make sure you nap when you baby naps if at all possible. Don't listen to anyone who tells you let your 5 week old cry it out. To think you can teach life skills to a 5 weeks old is insane. They are completely helpless little creatures and crying is thier only form of communicating. You are doing a GREAT job! Definitely reach out to La Leche League and go to meetings, it will help you tremendously. I don't know how I would have gotten through those first couple of months without them. Also, they generally have the books mentioned available to borrow.

At only 5 weeks, I'm sure this is absolutely normal. Most moms of 5 week olds are severely sleep deprived and while that might not make you feel any better, at least you know you're not alone. You might try one of those swings that can convert from front/back swinging to cradle-like swinging. That was my life saver! I know people will tell you not to leave them in it to sleep, but you have to do what works. And if you can get him to sleep in it, then go with that.

PLEASE get some support!
Your baby is a BABY.
HOLD HIM.
HOLD HIM.
CUDDLE HIM.

please oh please get some real-life help from la leche league! PLEASE.
The La Leche League Breastfeeding Helpline - US began on June 1, 2007. Everyone in the U.S.A. will have access to toll free breastfeeding help 24 hours a day. Just call 1-877-4-LALECHE (1-877-452-5324).

We had twins and they were the same way at that age. You could try swaddling him so he feels comfort. The swings and carseats are great suggestions as well. You cannot spoil them at this age with their sleeping habits nor will you form bad ones. Crying it out is not an option until they are around 6-8 months. When breastfeeding you will go through growth spurts quite regularly. Demand feeding becomes very difficult and can make you very tired but he may be experiencing a growth spurt. Trying the pacifier is another great idea. I know they say they could get nipple confusion but mine did just fine with breastfeeding and using a paci. There were many nights they slept on us and many nights I fell asleep nursing them laying on my side. I agree also with watching what you eat and offering him gas drops as well. You can call your peditrician for other useful tips. That is what they are there for! Good luck momma!

I had that very same problem with my son. Have you ever seen the travel swings? Like, the Fisher-Price ones, but not the big one you set in your house, just kind of the once that folds up so you can take. The seat part of those are kind of like a little "hammock" instead of a hard seat, and it made my son kind of feel like he was being held. Honestly, I used to leave him in that thing all night long. It was the only way he'd sleep. I didn't even have to leave it on, he just needed to sleep in that little "hammock." I'm sure some would say it's not good for their back or whatever, but he's 4 years old now and is perfectly healthy and normal. Try it if you haven't already. You gotta get some sleep.....I've been there! Good luck!

Swaddling works wonders. Make sure it is nice and snug. Like at the hospital. YOU can also buy swaddlers by kiddoptamus. They help them sleep longer and they are a great way to blanket them without any safety issues. My daughter slept through the night because of these!.

My son (now 17 months) would wake up whenever I put him down for the first few months. I was really afraid to sleep with him in the bed due to SIDS, rolling on him, etc.
My solution was to put a curved changing table pad in the bed next to me. It had a softy cover on it and I could gently roll him onto it, and hover over him for a few minutes until he seemed settled. I was right next to him, so he heard my breathing, etc. It allowed me to get some sleep and have easy access for nursing.
Another trick is to have him fall asleep in a baby sling, lay down with it on, and then gently ease it off and have the baby next to you, still in the sling. You can also sleep propped up (a recliner or bed) easier with the baby in the sling b/c your arms don't actually have to support him.
I agree with Katie's post that he just needs security- he's really not fully cooked until he's about 12 weeks old. Most newborns don't want to sleep in a crib, or very far from Mama.

My son slept swaddled in his car seat with a pacifier until he was four months old (he decided he was done with both and has slept in his crib since then). I never could co-sleep with him, I either wouldn't be able to fall asleep or if I did I'd wake up every fifteen minutes or so, I guess to be sure I hadn't rolled over on him.
I'm so sorry things are like this for you right now and I wish that there was more I could do or say to help. Before we figured out that our son slept better in his car seat (my aunt's suggestion when he was about the same age as your son) I didn't sleep at all. I know how terrible and soul draining that can be and how crazy and desperate it makes you feel. When I say I didn't sleep at all I mean that, even when my son would sleep I would lie awake, tense as could be, just waiting for that next cry. In my particular case things got bad enough that I had to be hospitalized, I just lost it. No sleep and all those hormones can do that. I won't bore you with all the details - just know that it does get better. Now my little dude regularly sleeps from 7pm to 7am and I got all my sh*t sorted out. It really did get MUCH easier, and I didn't believe that it would when I was where you are.
Good luck. Accept help when ever it is offered and ask for it when you need it.

1 / 3