Anyone Who Saw "The Dark Knight"....

Hi all... I'll start off by saying I've been anticipating this movie since it's trailer OVER A YEAR AGO, so now that it's out, I'm super excited to go see it! I have a little boy who is turning 5 this year and is BIG into epic adventures (i.e. Spiderman, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.) and really doesn't SCARE easily at all. He's been BEGGING me to see the new Batman movie "The Dark Knight" and I'm wondering if I should take him or not. He has seen his fair share of non-children type of movies (and no, I don't need a lecture on what my children watch at home... that has nothing to do with this post) - but I'm not making sure this new movie isn't OVER THE TOP with violence, cursing, etc. because I overheard someone saying there was a 4 year old behind her in the theater that was spazzing out the entire time, now it has me worried. I don't have much "free time" with 3 kids (or $$, lol) so seeing it first, THEN taking him is out of the question... so what do you think?

Wow! The response definitely seems one-sided so I definitely think I'm going to let him sit this one out. I'll just convince the babysitter to watch him along with my younger 2 children and take my 14 year old brother to see it instead :) Also sounds like it's a TERRIFIC movie - I can't WAIT to go see it!!! Thanks everyone!!

*******UPDATE!!********* I HAVE SINCE GONE TO SEE THE MOVIE AND AM EXTREMELY GLAD I DID NOT TAKE MY SON!! TALK ABOUT EVIL AND DEMENTED! THE IMAGES ALONE ARE DISTRUBING AND HAUNTING, LET ALONE THE PLOT AND TWISTED STORIES!!! AND JUST AN FYI TO A FEW SELECT PEOPLE WHO RESPONDED, I'M VERY GLAD I WENT BEFORE I READ SOME OF YOUR REPLIES BECAUSE A FEW OF YOU WENT INTO A LOT OF DETAIL ABOUT THE MOVIE AND I WOULD HAVE BEEN GREATLY UPSET HAD I READ YOUR SPOILERS, SO NEXT TIME, YOU MIGHT WANT TO REMEMBER THAT FOR US WHO HAVEN'T ACTUALLY SEEN THE MOVIE YET! THANKS TO THE OVERWHELMING RESPONSE, I CERTAINTLY AGREE! NOW IT'S JUST CONVINCING MY BEST FRIEND NOT TO TAKE HER 4-YEAR OLD!!*****

I have a 4 year old - and wouldn't let her go see it without me having seen it first. Since that isn't likely (can certainly understand budget concerns), I'd wait for DVD and/or "pay-per-view". It'll be much cheaper, and you could actually pause it if things get too scary or something.

My husband is at the theater watching it right now - took the day off. I'm interested, but not that interested htat I can't wait for it to come out on DVD (although I hear Heath Ledger's performance is spectacular!).

You can go to a website FILMHILL.COM and watch it online first. as long as the movies are still in the theatre, you can watch it on this website for free. my sister has seen it already & said there's no way her daughter will watch it until she is older.

Hey S.,
I have read that this movie isn't really about the comic book type of Batman. This is a much draker, scarier movie and not intended for kids. They said at the very least 10 yr olds maybe. My 9 yr old isn't interested at all and he is also into the super heros.
I wouldn't recommend it. Especially beig on a budget.

Please DO NOT take your son to see this movie. I am 38 and saw it with my husband over the weekend. Frankly, I had to turn my head a couple of times, and I'm not a person who scares easily. It is so dark and violent! I have an 8 year old who is also not scared easily; however, there's no chance I would let her see this. NONE! My husband and I both talked afterwards about how it was kind of like evil upon evil upon evil. There's not fun and excitement here like you might find in Spiderman or Pirates. You began to wonder when/if Batman was going to save the day. It was a great movie, but most definitely not for children.

Movies have a rating system for a reason. My husband and I have went to "R" rated movies and left our 13 and 11 year old children at home while other parents have brought their toddler - elementary aged children with them. I just don't get it. There are plenty of cartoon Batman movies out there for your child to see. Tell him he can see it when he's old enough to develop reason and a good sense of right and wrong. De-sensitizing children only makes them grow up way too early. What will they have to look forward to if they can see PG-13 movies at 5 yrs old? I used to watch a neighbor's child before school and she was 7 yrs. old. She told me one morning that she saw the movies Van Helsing and SAW. She had a sister who was 10. She also told me she had to sleep in her sister's room with her because she was having nightmares, big sister was too. You may think these movies are a lot different than Batman, but they both have violence and scary images. I don't doubt that you love your children, but please be a parent now and be their friend when they become adults. I also work in a school system and see way too many kids who have a lack of empathy and respect for others because they are not allowed to be kids and are exposed too early to the adult world. I'll get off my soap-box now!

mu husband saw it yesterday and said it is awesome! My kids too have seen a lot of the superhero movies. My husband did say to me though that he didn't think it was good for kids at least in the theater bc it adds so much more drama with the big screen and surround sound. My son is 6 and he said he was glad he didn't bring him.

NO!!! Its called the DARK knight for a reason! Im 26 and had to turn my head a few times during the movie because it got soo graphic. Do not let little ones watch this.

I saw it on Saturday night. My nephews, who are very much into violent video games, we very scared! It wasn't anything like the last 3 bateman movies. Very much on the dark side, and very intense. Adults, including myself will mark it down as one of the top movies ever!! But I don't think its for anyone under 12.

I am a HUGE Batman fan, and I LOVED this movie. There were people who brought young children to see it, but I highly recommend that you don't. Christian Bale's Batman and his Gotham are not the prettied up one you can watch on the Saturday morning cartoon. This movie is dark and violent and the Joker is frightening. It's also 2.5 hours long, and some of the kids started crying. I don't think it's appropriate for a child that young.

...LF

I haven't seen the movie but I can't imagine this movie would be beneficial to your son. No doubt he has enough entertainment already so what is the point of taking him to this movie? Can any good come from it? The potential for harming your son is much greater. I understand this movie to be very "dark" in nature. Even if he's not "scared" on the outside, there will be lots going on under the surface. My parents took me, unwittingly, to a very dark movie when I was 4 or 5. The images I saw in that movie stayed with me through my entire life. I wish I had been spared. This is a time in your sons life when you have the power to entirely impact what he sees and experiences. There'll be enough years when your control will not be as complete. Why not let your son remain a child for these years and keep him from such images. Sincerely, K.

I saw it this weekend and I would advise against taking your son. I have a 4 year old daughter who doesn't scare easily either but I'm not going to let her see this. The violense is pretty intense and the aftermath of "Two Face" is pretty gruesome. The Joker alone is pretty scary. I'd wait a while.

1 / 3