Anyone Who Has Had Their Tubes Tied?

I had my second daughter in December 05 and had my tubes tied durring the C-section. Since then I have been having a terrible time with spotting and normal periods. At least 5 out of 7 days I have spotting practically all day. Then my periods are not normal either. I will go anywhere from 2 to 7 weeks between and then it is heavier and lasts longer as well. I thought this may be because of being on birth control for so long and now on none. I did ask my Dr. about getting my periods even started again when I had not had a real period for 3 months after Annelise was born. She gave me a very low dose B/C pill and I had a lot of clotting then, so I don't think B/C pills are even an option anymore. I just thought I would ask you guys first since my husband just started a new job and we don't have insurance through work yet. Thanks for any insight you can give.

I had an ablation (novasure) done yesterday afternoon. The procedure was very quick and there is not alot of pain today. I am cramping, but I am used to that, and there is a little bleeding, but I am used to that as well. If all goes as planned then I will have a major relief from all of my symptoms and apparently there are about 40% of women that never have another period again. If I could be so lucky. Thanks to all of you for your responses.

It has been about a year and a half now since I have had the ablation and I would recomend this to any woman who is having the same issues I was having!!! It was been wonderful!!!! Since then I have not had the bleeding. In fact I have not had a period at all. I also have not had the awful cramping that came every couple of weeks. I still ovulate so I can tell there is a shift in hormone levels occasionally by little things such as breast tenderness but nothing major. I am SOOO glad I had this done!!! If you live in the Indianapolis area and are needing more information you should talk to Dr Bowers at Beech Grove OBGYN, he was great! Thank you all for your advice and your support! God bless!

I just had my 2nd baby 3 1/2 months ago and I had my tubes tied. I think that it is just normal to have a crazy period after you have a baby, it happened after my 1st and this time it has been more predictable, but really heavy. My dr. put me on birth control pills for a few months to try to help lighten it up. She said that sometimes it takes a year to get on a normal schedule again. But really what is normal after you have a baby!

Hi. I am new to this group. My name is K. M. I had my tubes tied about 2 years ago after the birth of my third child. I have had no problems with spotting or strange periods but PMS and cramping are more of a problem now than they were. I have also experienced an almost total loss of sex drive. I don't know if the tube tying caused this or not. I have read some things on the internet that indicates this can happen. Do you have any of these symptoms?

K.,
I had the same problems and i went to my ob/gyn and got some more birth control and got everything back on track. The doctor may give you some samples, just let them know you have no ins. at this time. Good luck. A.

Hi K., I also had my tubes tied , and ever since my periods are really bad. They are extremly heavy and very painful every month. I have been to the doctor for this and they can not do anythingabout it. Unfortunatly we are not alone, I have heard many stories of messed up periods after tubals. I wish I could help,but I am currently seeking a tubal reversal myself!

Here is a book EVERYONE needs to read!!!! There is "What your doctor may not tell you about Premenopause" or "There is "What your doctor may not tell you about Menopause". This is the link to Dr Lee's website: http://www.johnleemd.com/index.html

I had twins at the age of 35 and after having them my hormones got all mixed up and started having headaches for 3 days every month that usually 2 Alieve's would take care of. Then a few months afterward my periods were becoming irregular and that was with even taking oral contraceptives. I also started to gain a pound of weight here and there. And I knew something wasn't right since I was one of the few girls who never had a cramp or PMS symptoms. (I know some of you are cussing me now. lol) Now after reading what all I have I think my body was going into premenopause.
About 2 years after having my twins I had to have a hysterectomy because of cervical cancer. And for a month before the operation I was given the choice of keeping or removing my ovaries. At first I was leaning towards keeping them because of the hormones but was scared of ovarian cancer since I was more suseptable from having cancer already. Then a friend who had to have a hysterectomy in her late 20's because of endometreosis told me to go ahead and remove them because her Dr said that they would quit working after about 5 yrs. Well anyway, I had told him to take them and he said afterwards they had cysts on them so he would have removed them anyway. I was put on Estrogen after the surgery.
Then I really started packing on some weight around my middle and couldn't lose it no matter what I did. I also started having migraines every 3 weeks for 2 days. Then after a while I started getting fatigued a lot and in 2 yrs time gained 20 more pounds. Then my regular Dr told me that my Cortosol was low and sent me to an Endocronologist.
Well she thought I may need more Estrogen but since my migraines she wouldn't increase it. And was going to put me on Cortosol but I didn't want to. Because low cortosol usually means you lose weight. High cortosol is weight gain and usually high from stress. Then my sister called me up after reading Dr Lee's book "What your Dr may not tell you about menopause" and told me to read it.
Progesterone is made mainly by your ovaries. Which is also the first thing to go during premenopause. I read that even keeping the ovaries wouldn't help but for maybe a year. The ovaries know when they have been disconnected and will eventually stop producing eggs and progesterone. So even though you still have a uterus, they still know they are disconnected. So the Endo. Dr said she would test them. But the only way to get an accurate reading is from saliva testing. So while she did her standard blood work, I ordered the Estrogen & Progesteron saliva kits off the above web site. The Dr said everything looked normal and then I showed her my results. I was severly Estrogen dominant. My results:
Test: Estradiol Reference Range: 2.0 -10.00 pg/ml
Result: 36.32
Test: Progesterone Range:0.1 - 0.5 ng/ml Result:0.06
So there was a big difference.
So please read the book about natural hormones. On their web site they have a place that lists the closest identical & most effective progesterone creams unless you can get your doctor to do a saliva testing or write you a perscription for one. It only costs about $30 a month for the perscription. But since then I have been losing the weight, my fatigue is gone, migraines are gone and feeling a lot better.
But also, most people don't need estrogen because it is found in our food, in our fat cells and the environment. Progesterone mainly comes from properly functioning ovaries. The book will tell you all about it and how everything works together. So even though I don't have a percise answer to your question. I think this will benefit you as much as it did me. I just wish my sister or me had found this book 2 years and 20 pounds ago. I feel very strongly about this subject and make sure everyone I know has this info so they don't have to go through what I did. Hope this helps you.
If anyone wants a copy of my test results or any info, I will be happy to help as much as I can.

I have two children and had gotten pregnant again even being on the pill in 2001 but it was a tubalar pregnancy. It ended up where they had no choice but to terminate the pregnancy due to the complications and they also couldnt save the tube on that side either. After all the pain emotionally and physically I endured, I decided to get the other tube cut and lanced. I have had no complications from my period. I have my period for about 5 days compared to the 1 or 2 days I had when I was on the pill still. But my aunt and my mother had the same symptoms you seem to be describing. My aunt started getting several week long periods. When she finally went to the doctors they said she had Endometriosis and had to have a procedure called a DNC. My mother also had the same symptoms and had to have the same procedure. Since you dont have health insurance I would call this place called Planned Parenthood. They have several locations and they are cheaper than a doctor. They do nothing but women related problems. I went there for several years until I got health insurance. Here is some info on Endometriosis:
What is endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a common health problem in women. It gets its name from the word endometrium, the tissue that lines the uterus (womb). In women with this problem, tissue that looks and acts like the lining of the uterus grows outside of the uterus in other areas. These areas can be called growths, tumors, implants, lesions, or nodules.

Most endometriosis is found:

on or under the ovaries
behind the uterus
on the tissues that hold the uterus in place
on the bowels or bladder

Endometriosis rarely grows in the lungs or other parts of the body. This "misplaced" tissue can cause pain, infertility (not being able to get pregnant), and very heavy periods.

What are the symptoms of endometriosis?
Pain is one of the most common symptoms of endometriosis. Usually the pain is in the abdomen, lower back, and pelvis. The amount of pain a woman feels does not depend on how much endometriosis she has. Some women have no pain, even though their disease affects large areas. Other women with endometriosis have severe pain even though they have only a few small growths. Symptoms of endometriosis include:

Very painful menstrual cramps
Pain with periods that gets worse over time
Chronic pain in the lower back and pelvis
Pain during or after sex
Intestinal pain
Painful bowel movements or painful urination during menstrual periods
Heavy and/or long menstrual periods
Spotting or bleeding between periods
Infertility (not being able to get pregnant)
Fatigue
Women with endometriosis may also have gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea, constipation, or bloating, especially during their periods.

Who usually gets endometriosis?
About five million women in the United States have endometriosis. This makes it one of the most common health problems for women.

In general, women with endometriosis:

get their monthly period
are 27-years-old on average
have symptoms for two to five years before finding out they have the disease
Women who have gone through menopause (when a woman stops having her period) rarely still have symptoms.

What can raise my chances of getting endometriosis?
You are more likely to develop endometriosis if you:

began getting your period at an early age
have heavy periods
have periods that last more than seven days
have a short monthly cycle (27 days or less)
have a close relative (mother, aunt, sister) with endometriosis
How can I reduce my chances of getting endometriosis?
Some studies suggest that you may lower your chances of developing endometriosis if you:

exercise regularly
avoid alcohol and caffeine
Why do patches of endometriosis cause pain and health problems?
Growths of endometriosis are almost always benign or not cancerous, but still can cause many problems. To see why, it helps to understand a woman's monthly cycle. Every month, hormones cause the lining of a woman's uterus to build up with tissue and blood vessels. If a woman does not get pregnant, the uterus sheds this tissue and blood. It comes out of the body through the vagina as her menstrual period.

Patches of endometriosis also respond to a woman's monthly cycle. Each month the growths add extra tissue and blood, but there is no place for the built-up tissue and blood to exit the body. For this reason, growths tend to get bigger and the symptoms of endometriosis often get worse over time.

Tissue and blood that is shed into the body can cause inflammation, scar tissue, and pain. As the misplaced tissue grows, it can cover or grow into the ovaries and block the fallopian tubes. This can make it hard for women with endometriosis to get pregnant. The growths can also cause problems in the intestines and bladder.

Why is it important to find out if I have endometriosis?
The pain of endometriosis can interfere with your life. Studies show that women with endometriosis often skip school, work, and social events. This health problem can also get in the way of relationships with your partner, friends, children, and co-workers. Plus, endometriosis can make it hard for you to get pregnant.

Finding out that you have endometriosis is the first step in taking back your life. Many treatments can control the symptoms. Medicine can relieve your pain. And when endometriosis causes fertility problems, surgery can boost your chances of getting pregnant.

How would I know if I have endometriosis?
If you think you have this disease, talk with your obstetrician/gynecologist (OB/GYN). Your OB/GYN has special training to diagnose and treat this condition. The doctor will talk to you about your symptoms and health history. Then she or he will do a pelvic exam. Sometimes during the exam, the doctor can find signs of endometriosis.

Usually doctors need to run tests to find out if a woman has endometriosis. Sometimes doctors use imaging tests to "see" large growths of endometriosis inside the body. The two most common imaging tests are:

ultrasound, which uses sound waves to see inside the body
magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which uses magnets and radio waves to make a "picture" of the inside of the body
The only way to know for sure if you have endometriosis is to have a surgery called laparoscopy. In this procedure, a tiny cut is made in your abdomen. A thin tube with a light is placed inside to see growths from endometriosis. Sometimes doctors can diagnose endometriosis just by seeing the growths. Other times, they need to take a small sample of tissue, or a biopsy, and study it under a microscope.

What causes endometriosis?
No one knows for sure what causes this disease, but scientists have a number of theories.

They know that endometriosis runs in families. If your mother or sister has endometriosis, you are six times more likely to get the disease than other women. So, one theory suggests that endometriosis is caused by genes.

Another theory is that during a woman's monthly periods, some endometrial tissue backs up into the abdomen through the fallopian tubes. This transplanted tissue then grows outside the uterus. Many researchers think a faulty immune system plays a part in endometriosis. In women with the disease, the immune system fails to find and destroy endometrial tissue growing outside of the uterus. Plus, a recent study shows that immune system disorders (health problems in which the body attacks itself) are more common in women with endometriosis. More research in this area may help doctors better understand and treat endometriosis.

How is endometriosis treated?
There is no cure for endometriosis, but there are many treatments for the pain and infertility that it causes. Talk with your doctor about what option is best for you. The treatment you choose will depend on your symptoms, age, and plans for getting pregnant.

Pain Medication. For some women with mild symptoms, doctors may suggest taking over-the-counter medicines for pain. These include: ibuprofen (Advil and Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve). When these medicines don't help, doctors may advise using stronger pain relievers available by prescription.

Hormone Treatment. When pain medicine is not enough, doctors often recommend hormone medicines to treat endometriosis. Only women who do not wish to become pregnant can use these drugs. Hormone treatment is best for women with small growths who don't have bad pain.

Hormones come in many forms including pills, shots, and nasal sprays. Many hormones are used for endometriosis including:

Birth control pills block the effects of natural hormones on endometrial growths. So, they prevent the monthly build-up and breakdown of growths. This can make endometriosis less painful. Birth control pills also can make a woman's periods lighter and less uncomfortable. Most birth control pills contain two hormones, estrogen and progestin. This type of birth control pill is called a "combination pill." Once a woman stops taking them, the ability to get pregnant returns, but so may the symptoms of endometriosis.
Progestins or progesterone medicines work much like birth control pills and can be taken by women who can't take estrogen. When a woman stops taking progestins, she can get pregnant again. But, the symptoms of endometriosis return too.
Gonadotropin releasing hormone agonists or GnRH agonists slow the growth of endometriosis and relieve symptoms. They work by greatly reducing the amount of estrogen in a woman's body, which stops the monthly cycle. Leuprolide (Lupron®) is a GnRH agonist often used to treat endometriosis. GnRH agonists should not be used alone for more than six months. This is because they can lead to osteoporosis. But if a woman takes estrogen along with GnRH agonists, she can use them for a longer time. When a woman stops taking this medicine, monthly periods and the ability to get pregnant return. But, usually the problems of endometriosis also return.
Danazol is a weak male hormone. Nowadays, doctors rarely recommend this hormone for endometriosis. Danazol lowers the levels of estrogen and progesterone in a woman's body. This stops a woman's period or makes it come less often. Danazol also gives pain relief. But it often causes side effects like oily skin, weight gain, tiredness, smaller breasts, and hot flashes. Danazol does not prevent pregnancy and can harm a baby growing in the uterus. Since it can't be used with other hormones, like birth control pills, doctors recommend using condoms, diaphragms, or other "barrier" methods to prevent pregnancy.
Surgery. Surgery is usually the best choice for women with endometriosis who have a severe amount of growths, a great deal of pain, or fertility problems. There are both minor and more complex surgeries that can help. Your doctor might suggest one of the following:

Laparoscopy can be used to diagnose and treat endometriosis. During this surgery, doctors remove growths and scar tissue or destroy them with intense heat. The goal is to treat the endometriosis without harming the healthy tissue around it. Women recover from laparoscopy much faster than from major abdominal surgery.
Laparotomy or major abdominal surgery is a last resort treatment for severe endometriosis. In this surgery, the doctor makes a much bigger cut in the abdomen than with laparoscopy. This allows the doctor to reach and remove growths of endometriosis in the pelvis or abdomen. Recovery from this surgery can take up to two months.
Hysterectomy should only be considered by women who do not want to become pregnant in the future. During this surgery, the doctor removes the uterus. She or he may also take out the ovaries and fallopian tubes at the same time. This is done when the endometriosis has severely damaged them.
How do I cope with a disease that has no cure?
You may feel many emotions—sadness, fright, anger, confusion, and loneliness. It is important to get support to cope with endometriosis. Consider joining a support group to talk with other women who have endometriosis. There are support groups on the Internet and in many communities.

It is also important to learn as much as you can about the disease. Talking with friends, family, and your doctor can help.

K.,

I had my tubes tied after my 4th daughter (3-1/2 yrs ago). Up until then, my periods were very irregular. Oh the doctor put me on the pill to regulate me but it didn't do any good. Once I came off of them, poof!...I would go back to skipping a month here, 3 months there or better yet, 12 months without a period and NOT be pregnant. How do you like them apples?

Well, after my tubes were tied, everything changed and I hate it! Every month, like clock work, my periods have made religious visits. I liked it better when I was skipping.

As for your situation, every woman's body reacts differently to a tubal ligation. I don't know if what's happening to you is normal or not but if you haven't already done so, I suggest you talk to your doctor and see what he says.

Hope this helps!

On having your tubes tied, I had the same problem after the birth of
> my son. It turned out I had fibroid cysts on my uterous and ended up
> having to have a D & C and thermal ablasion in which they burn the
> lining of the uterous. I had this done a year a a half ago and have
to
> get this checked as I am back to where I was before having had this
> done. I was told the uterous lining would not grow back so if I ever
> wanted the tubal reversed I could not carry a child but they also
told
> me I should not have any more periods and they are back and getting
> worse than ever.

I've only had one baby who is now 16 months old. My periods prior to my son were very crampy (painful, heavy, and normally 8 days but never at the same time each month. My tubes are blocked so I had to go through IVF to have our son. After having him my hormones have been messed up, along with my periods, and worst of all I started ovulating at the end of last year for almost 2 weeks at a time. 2 months ago I finally had to go to the doctor for 3 weeks of ovulation (pinching and cramping the whole time) severe discharge, and then I would start my period symptoms. I have suffered since he was born until my dear friend gave me some bio-identitical progesterone to try and 2 months into taking it once per day everyday except when I am on my periods has given me a whole new life!!!! Bio-identical just means it's natural, not synthetic. A lot of women are estrogen dominant and I think I am one of them. I was on birth control for over 10 years in my 20's and my body just would not tolerate any of it anymore. After having my son I tried it again and it was awful and then tried it again prior to the progesterone and failed misearebly. Please try and find a homeopath doctor if your regular family doctor or OBGYN will not give you a prescription. By the way, if you don't have insurance, there is a synthetic progesterone cream you can use over the counter. It's not as strong but you can use a double dose. I take 1ml of natural once per day. This might get you through until you get insurance.

This is totally normal. After having my tubes tied my periods were very irregular, I had heavy bleeding, and major cramps. I was very concerned about this also. Then I talked to some other people who had been through a tubal ligation and they too had these problems. You may have to suffer for a little while til your husbands insurance kicks in, But you need to get put on a birthcontrol pill. I know it sounds crazy cause you got fixed so that you wouldn't have to worry about birthcontrol. Trust me though since being on the pill my cycles are back to normal. Sometimes your body needs that extra hormonal boost to keep itself regular. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anymore questions you may have.

K., I just had my tubes tied after my third daughter. I have had the same thing and I was just wondering myself if this is normal. I am betting it is normal. I remember my sister-in-law saying similar things. I'll give my OB a call and let you know what I find out.

1 / 3