Anyone Who Had a C-section

I find that ever since I had my C-section, sex (making Love) is just not the same......it is sometimes uncomfortable (still) sometimes and I had read about that being a concern at firt with most post C-section recoveries for 6 plus months.......but it's been 16 months now

But beside the incision area still being sensitive things just don't feel the way they they used to before the this pregnancy/C-section. Almost like things shifted, I mean the uterus is pulled out to examine before you are closed and sutured up.

Don't mean to gross anyone out there, but is there anyone out there who can relate to this?
or do I maybe need to go see my doctor?

Thank you for all your responses, it was a huge relief to know that other women have experience this, there alot of similairties, which makes sence because we are all so diffrent. We are not all going to experience the same thing. I will see my doctor and I understand that he may not be able to do much yet, maybe with time and a mild work out, I can build those very needed Abdomen muscles. Thanks again everyone......

Hi jp. I've had 2 c-sections. I remember the first one being very difficult. The sex was painful and i had to sex drive. Yes, things were dryer down there too. My second one was fine. I was more than ready to go at it right afterwards. I know we are all different. But i would probably go see you doctor. It's probably hormonal. Cause everything seems to be.

Dear JP,
I ended up having a C-section and totally know where you are coming from.... My daughter is 17 months old , but my incision is still very tender... my body is not the same in many ways!!! I do understand everything you have described and can relate! Unfortunately, I don't have any answers or sound advice to offer.... guess I just wanted to offer my understanding from my own experience.
sincerely,

Well, I don't mean to be the barer of bad news but I am still having problems with my c-section incision getting infected and inflamed and it has been 7 years now! I did have an emergency c-section however, I don't know what kind of c-section you had, I am assuming the normal kind. I do know that the emergency c-section is a much bigger scar that runs from one hip bone to the other and with a regular c-section, planned in the hospital, fully awake and all that, it is a much smaller scar because they have time to figure out exactly where they need to cut to get the baby out. With me, time was of the essence and they had to get the baby out right away and had no time to figure out where exactly to cut so they cut the whole thing, from hip bone to hip bone. That being said, if you have a regular c-section scar you should have an easier time healing and recovering than I did and hopefully won't have any problems with the scar getting infected. Unless of course you are obese, like me, and have your stomach fat hanging over your c-section scar, constantly irritating it and constantly moist, which breeds bacteria and thus causes an infection (yeast infection according to my doctor). This being said I know it took me at least 2 years to feel somewhat normal and I never have fully recovered the feeling in my skin where the scar is located, even to this day the area feels numb and sometimes tingles like I need to scratch it but when I scratch it I can't feel it even though it does remove the tingling. I know for me, because I am obese, making love with the man on top is always kinda difficult because of the c-section scar. Being on top, he rubs on it with his body when we are making love, and that irritates the scar. You have to be careful how you make love with that scar, so as not to irritate it. But just to let you know, I also gave birth vaginally (VBAC) 3 1/2 years ago and I lost feeling in my vagina area after that too. So it is not just a c-section that does that to you. It is the whole birthing process, whether vaginal or not. It is a lot of trauma for the vaginal area or lower pubic area and unfortunately you can lose sensation down there after giving birth "naturally" too. I guess all I can really tell you is that what you are feeling is totally natural given what you went through and that it is possible that things stay this way forever. Not to disappoint you or anything, each person's experience is unique and different, but it is hard for the body to truly recover from something so traumatic as childbirth and I have a friend who had 2 normal c-sections and she told me that she didn't feel that area for 2 years after the 2nd c-section. I also have an OB-GYN doctor in my family, one of the best in San Diego actually, and he told me that the more c-sections you have the more loss of sensation and feeling that you get. So if you plan on having more kids try to get a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) next time, if it is possible, because even though it is traumatic on the body, it is still better and less traumatic than having a C-section.

Sincerely,
R.

I am 35 yrs old and have had two C-sections and a Hysterectomy. I can totally relate. In your case, I would make a visit to the doctors. You could have scaring that is pulling and making sex unthinkable. This happened to me several years after my first C-Section where my uterus attached itself to my abdomnal wall and had to be surgercially removed.

One advice, don't wait. If it is something, waiting will only make it worse.

T. S.

hi! i just had a c six months ago and the area is still sensitive, yet way better than before. i'm nursing so my hormones are not back to how they were before. anyway, i just wanted to let you know that based on my experience it was somewhat traumatizing and psychologically hard. recovery was rough-i moaned like a wounded animal and scared my husband! i would definatly check it out with the doctor to put your mind at ease and maybe seek a few therapy sessions. i use to be so "free" with my body and i feel vulnerable and sorta sacrificial now, but i put my own feelings on the back burner because of my most beautiful baby!i feel for u because if come a year from now i still feel this i am going to be fustrated just like you! from a medical stand point i'm curious about exactly happened during the c-section. do you know of any books or videos? you are lucky your husband is nice and supportive my guess is that u may just be taking longer than average to heal physically. have tried sipping on wine or hot chocolate or massage-u know something to relax u before the act? maybe you could explore intimacy in different ways aside from penetration? oh! i hate when my husband touches my tummy now so touching in other areas has made us more creative. everything happens for a reason, i think. have a lovely weekend and love yourself as much as you love all your babies!

I have had 3 C-Sections. The last one -- sex hurt for almost a year.. I probably would see a doctor just to ease your mind. I don't think anything is wrong, but sometimes that doctor visit can help quite a bit.

I have not had a c-section and my only child was a natural birth in 1991. My advice go see your doctor to make sure nothing is wrong. That is the most sensible advice anyone can give you. And don't have sex til you find out what's up with the doctor so you don't possibly make the problem worse. I hope this helps. W. H.

Dear JP,
sincerely,

I've had two c-sections. My son is almost 3 and my daughter is 13 months. Sometimes sex does feel different to me, even still. If it hurts, I think you should definitely see your doctor. We've just found different positions that are more comfortable for me. Me on top seems to be the best. Good luck!

Hi J.P.,

I had a c-section, it was six years ago but I still remember. It took about 9 months to get full sensation back to my pubic bone, but the numbness did not extend far enough down to interfere with sex at any point. I would definitely talk to my doctor about it just to ease your worries
Best, C.

1 / 3