Anyone's Baby on Prednisolone

Hi all! My little man has been wheezing and has an upper respitory infection. The Dr just prescribed Prednisolone for the next 3 days. I haven't started it yet. Has anyone used it with their baby? Did you see an improvement in wheezing? Were there side effects? I'm not sure if I should use it with him b/c it's such a strong medication. Thanks for your help!

It works, I have a 5 yr old with severe asthma and that is sometimes the only thing that will open him up. I don't really know the side affects but it does work.

Yes, I have used it when it was an emergency situation. However, when the sypmtoms subsided, I stopped using it. So if the sypmtoms stopped after day 1, I no longer gave it to him. Please note that my child could not breath and was not SLIGHTLy weazing. When he is slightly weazing, I do not give it to him. I also give him fish oil,now cod liver oil, which has helped to reduce the weazing bouts.

Hi J.
Prednisolone is a steroid anti-inflammatory and it is used very safely in children.
Seems your Dr has him on a short time span of treatment and there won't be side effects with this regimen.
The side effects with steroids come about with chronic use for a long period of time. Not the ocassional use because of an upper respiratory infection, It will help your baby breath easier and will allow things to calm down in his lungs.
Sometimes that is all our bodies need to get back on track for ourselves.
I understand your comcerns but he will not be on it long enough to suffer side effects.
But as with anything, if he gets worse or does not improve even with the fist dose, call your Dr. You should see a response pretty quickly with it.

Good luck J..
I hope your baby feels better soon!

P.

The doctor wouldn't have prescribed it if he didn't think he needed it. It is a very low dose of steroids. The constant wheezing is worse for him than the medication.

Yes, my son has been on it 4 times since he was 8 months...he just turned 1 yesterday. I find it does help...the only thing I notice with him, is he might get a little kranky. I don't like having to give it to him either due to the strength...but I also don't want him in the ER because he can't breathe. My son goes on it for 5 days and it clears up the wheezing. I hope your son feels better soon!!!

A.

My daughter is now 2 1/2 and is doing much better but starting at 5 months she had her first cold....which instantly turned into wheezing, we have struggled with controlling her asthma ever since. I will not bore or scare you with all the details, but if your doctor thinks he needs prednisone, please give it to him. My daughter has unfortunately taken it many times. She is now well controlled due to several asthma medications, and a cold remains just a cold. She has suffered no side effects from the many times she has had to take steroids. If you are truly worried, or questioning your pediatrician get a second opinion or ask to see a specialist. Hope he feels better soon!!

J.-
we have used this with all 3 of my children and yes it works. the only adverse reaction i saw was my oldest son got very itchy after being on it for multiple days. if this happens, you can give him benadryl--although check with your doctor because he is still so young. i would also reccommend taking him to a respiratory specialist. my ped was always hesistant to put my son on long term steroids and he was hospitalized 4 times (and almost intubated the last time) before i took him to a specialist. i wish i had done it much much sooner. good luck. you could also try giving him cod liver oil, it is supposed to help respiratory health. A.

My little guy had to be hospitalized with breathing problems when he was just 6 weeks old (he's almost 9 months now). He was given Prednisolone as well as breathing treatments with a nebulizer. The prednisolone did help with the wheezing, and he made a full recovery within a few weeks. As far as side effects go, what we experienced was a starving, grouchy baby. He gained two pounds in four days- quite a lot when he was only nine pounds to start with! He was also very irritable, which was a complete personality change. These side effects disappeared within a few days of discontinuing the medication. Well, the weight stayed on, but he wasn't ravenous anymore! Basically, what I would tell you from my own experience is that Prednisolone works- just be prepared for an off week if you choose to give it to your son. Hope this helps!

they just put my 4 month old on it and she has not eaten or slept properly since, i get this in pill form for my astmatic lungs and i dislike what it does to me, and have stopped giving it to her in hopes that her sleeping and eating patterns back to normal, however for the 3 days that she was given it her lungs are far less bubbly and raspy

1 / 3