Anyone Taken a Booster Seat with Them on a Plane?

We're heading on vacation this weekend and are considering taking my 5 year old's booster seat with us so we won't have to spend $50 to rent one with the car rental place. Has anyone taken one on a plane before? Do the airlines consider it a carry on or not? We'll all have separate carry ons with our own stuff in them so I don't want to have to pay extra for the booster seat at the airport.

No boosters are allowed to be used on planes per FAA guidelines. You could bring it as a carry on or check it, but you won't be able to use it.

I took a booster seat on a plane - just the bottom portion, no back to the seat. They made me put it in the overhead compartment. I checked it on the return flight. This was a couple of years ago, before all of the recent luggage restrictions. I would suggest calling the 800 number for the actual airline to see what the new rules are.
I wanted to save the $$, too. It's not that much more to carry. :)

We also just flew in April with our booster. It was a backless booster so it was really small. We took it on the plane with us and put it in the overhead compartment. We tried to have our son sit on it for the flight but the flight attendant told us it was not allowed so he stowed it for us. If it's a bigger booster, they may have you check it at the gate like a stroller, but that's no big deal either. It's free. Good luck!

We also just took the bottom portion in October. We did put it in the overhead storage. It wasn't an issue as we just carried it on the stroller which we checked at the gate.

We tried to take ours on the plane . They made us check it in at the gate (free) . You can also check your stroller in at the gate. Have fun !

I would check with the airline, because they seem to change policies daily, but in my experience yes, they will gate-check it if needed and no, they don't count it as a carry-on.

1 / 3