Anyone over 40 Have a Non-stress Test Done During Pregnancy?

I'm 41 and expecting baby #2 at the end of December (I'm 32 weeks along). I had my first non-stress test done on Tuesday and was told that it wasn't covered by my crappy insurance and would be considered a 'specialist'. My specialist co-pay is $50. We pay our own insurance, Aetna, because my husband is considered an independant contractor in the Philadelphia Stock Exchange, so the person he 'works' for doesn't offer health. And I'm supposed to have the test twice a week which means $100 a week until I deliver (that will be $700), PLUS we have a hospital maternity copay of $550 per day. The only reason the doctor wanted this test done was because I'm over 40... that's all. So far I''ve had no problem with my pregnancy (or my first). $700 is alot that my husband doesn't want to pay. Did anyone ever turn the test down? I'm wondering how neccesary it is.

I am 40 and I just had a baby in May and I never had one single non stress test. I have very good insurance and a fantastic OB. Why are so many people having 2 per week? My baby is fine, my delivery was easy, my labor was quick.

When I was pregnant with my 3rd, I would be turning 35 around her due date. At the time, I had dual care with an OB practice and saw their midwives while also seeing my home birth midwife. The OB practice had me so stressed with just 3 appointments that I never went back. They wanted to do test after test because of my "Advanced Maternal Age"...My first two children were born in a free standing birthing center, attended by midwives so my past birth experiences were not a medical event, they were normal. I didn't like the direction things were going with the OB practice. I refused all because I was healthy and there was no indication that those tests were medically necessary. They were strictly routine because of my being AMA. I birthed our baby at 38 wks, at home, without any problems and had an uncomplicated pregnancy.

Three years later @ 38 I gave birth to our 4th. For this pregnancy, I never entertained the idea of dual care. My home birth midwife took care of all prenatals and wasn't concerned about my "Advanced Maternal Age" because I was healthy and there were no red flags with my health. Had there been, she would have referred me to her back up for further testing.

I encourage you to ask if this NST is medically necessary and why or is this simply routine because of your age. I am an ALACE trained doula and I find that these routine procedures are the bread and butter of these practices. I would seek a second opinion or possibly switch providers.

Your $700 copay for the next 7 weeks + $550 for one day in the hospital is what I paid for our out of pocket, home birth (our insurance wouldn't cover it.) This included all prenatal visits(iron, blood sugar, urine, bp, fetal heart tones and positioning) in my home, normally not less than 1 hour or no more than 2, with our children, care during labor, the birth, and 3 post-partum visits including my 8 wk womanly exam. My care from my midwives far exceeded any care I ever received from an OB.

I encourage you to check out Henci Goer's, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth and Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake and Abbey Epstein. They may be helpful as you decide what you need to do.

For the record, I'm not telling you to have a home birth, I'm simply sharing my experience with you to let you know that I chose not to have those routine tests and had exceptional prenatal care without feeling guilty or pressured about the choices I made. I didn't put myself or my baby in any harm or danger by not having them because there were no red flags warranting those tests. If you're feeling like the tests are not warranted, then talk to you provider and voice your concerns. Your provider works for you...you can decline any procedures or testings because YOU ARE IN CHARGE!!!

Best of luck in advocating for yourself and your baby.

Peace & Light,

I was 38 when I had my first and 40 when I had my second. I never had a non-stress test.

I would talk to your doctor about it...let them know about the financial situation. If they feel that it isn't really needed then they may reduce or not order the tests.
BTW...I had them done every week at the end of my pregnancy. I was 38. My dd didn't have a normal delivery, though. I ended up having an emergency C-section. Nothing wrong ever turned up during the non-stress tests.
One funny note...during one of the tests, my dd ended up having the hiccups. I cracked up. It sounded weird.
Good luck and congrats!

I'm not over 40, but have had numerous NST's done throughout all 3 of my pregnancies (due to high BP and fetal heart rates). This is the easiest and least-invasive way for doctors to monitor your baby and possibly detect an issue before it becomes a real problem.

Look at it this way, is $700 (and yes, it's a lot of $$) worth the peace of mind knowing that your baby is doing well? Maybe your doctor will let you go once a week instead of twice? Anyone over 35 is considered 'advanced maternal age' and is usually subjected to closer observation, more testing etc. BUT it's only because the likelyhood of complications 'generally' increase with age.

Ah yes. American health care system. The best in the world. And so good to moms. I skipped those too as an older mom paying out of pocket for our kids births. As working adults, my husband and I have never had insurance because the only types we could afford privately had such ridiculous deductibles we would just be adding a monthly premium to all the doctor appointments etc we were paying for. And this was for 20 years before "obamacare" that everyone is blaming now for trying to make us europeans. I WISH! We actually moved here to use an Amish /Mennonite out of pocket pricing plan to have the kids and we'll be in debt for a long time. But they're worth it! Skip the tests. I did. You need your money. Do the bare minimum. You're not alone.

*Here is a link about the test:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_nonstress-test_###-###-####.bc
------------------------------------
... I have 2 kids. I was over 35 years old with my 1st pregnancy.
The second one, was when I was pregnant and was OLDER than you.
My OB/GYN... NEVER EVER had any stress tests for me. At all. Nor required it. Nor recommended it.

Why is your Doctor having you do this? Only because of age??? That is a crock.
I never had to have those tests.
I would question your Doctor's reasons for it.... and ask him/her WHY?

I am going through similar situation (Crappy insurance, #2 baby, 30 weeks pregnant, hubby consultant in Philly, advised by OB to get the NST 2/week done).

I was wondering how you are doing and whether you have ever had those tests done or not. I'm inclining not get them done as I am physically great. Baby is moving very good.

Hope all is well with you and the baby. Looking forward to hearing from you.

1 / 3