Anyone Have IBS?

Sorry if this is TMI, but I have had stomach aches for the past year or so... almost every day. Sometimes it's to the point of throwing up. I have heard of IBS, but I'm not sure how to tell if I have it. I also have tried cutting out gluten to see if that helps and I'm thinking I may have a sensitivity to it. I have already been tested for Celiacs and it was negative. So now I'm just trying to cut out things from my diet to see if things help but obviously I can't cut out everything. Anyone have any ideas? I've already seen a doctor and they are not sure. I'm trying to go a more natural/holistic route to figuring it out.

Thanks for the help :)

I have IBS. If it's just stomach aches, that's not it. With IBS, you'll either have problems with chronic diarrhea or chronic constipation.

When I was being evaluated, the doctor recommended cutting out dairy first. If you haven't tried that, that might be worth a shot.

You could always try eating more fiber and foods with probiotics. Both help with digestion and could ease the stomach aches if it's a digestive issue.

I don't know much... but try to drink a LOT of water and have foods with fiber. Don't just "cut-out" foods, but replace them with lots of veggies and good stuff.

My husband has IBS, for him it means he's a little more sensitive to some foods (esp. pork products), and well, visits the "powder room" frequently.

I had the same problem,, pains worse than labor. It was my gallbladder. It is now gone, and I am able to eat normally. Have you checked it out?

I would suggest getting a thorough physical if you haven't already done so, and perhaps keeping track of your stomach aches in a journal (time of day, food/drink consumed prior to feeling ill, etc.) to see if you notice any patterns. Is it possible that you have an ulcer or you that you are taking some kind of medicine that causes an upset stomach? One time I was putting off a dentist's visit because I knew I would need root canal for a deep cavity that had just been filled. I was taking lots of ibuprofen for pain. I started waking up every night with a knawing, uncomfortable feeling in my upper abdomen. Sometimes I had nauseous moments during the day. My husband said I was describing some of the symptoms of peptic ulcer, but when I stopped taking a ton of ibuprofen and got the root canal done, the stomach problems went away. I also used to have a lot of problems with certain birth control pills, and most recently, now that I am in perimenopause, do experience some nausea from time to time due to hormonal changes. Don't know if any of these apply to you. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Yes, I suffered with IBS from when I was about 19 until about a year ago (I'm 40). Usually people with IBS have problems with frequent diarrhea (or for some, constipation)... If all you have is nausea I wouldn't think it would be IBS.

I had problems with frequent stomach aches a year ago or so. I was starting to feel nausea every day- ____@____.com turned out to be gastritis. If that's what you have, you need to get medication before you have more serious problems. Have you seen a gastroenterologist? If not, you may want to consider it.

Here's some information about gastritis:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseas...

Hope you feel better soon :)

Added: Things I had to avoid included: spicy or acidic foods, ibuprofin, and soda.

Whether it is IBS or not, you have a problem that needs to be fixed. Getting an IBS diagnosis only gets you drugs and that will not help it. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, which is one of the worst digestive conditions there is, at eleven and lived with the doctors giving me meds and telling me to do the WRONG things for most of my life. I was in and out of hospitals more than the doctors were. I don't have UC anymore because I decided to take control of my health.

Your digestive system is pivotal to good health. Your stomach should be acidic to digest food. If it's not, you need to add acid. If you take antacids, please stop. They do more harm than good. You can buy HCl supplements or you can simply eat a dill pickle with each meal (for the vinegar) or put a lot of lemon juice in your water. That will add the acidity most need.

You also need probiotics/prebiotics and probably digestive enzymes. The key is to jumpstart your digestive system to do what it was supposed to do in the first place. This may be TMI but if you aren't having a bowel movement about an hour after EVERY meal then you are retaining toxicities. You need to remove the waste that is left in your intestinal tract. You simply will continue to absorb the toxicities left there and nothing will get better. Fiber is absolutely neccessary. I can recommend a good supplement if you need me to. (I don't recommend a colonic because of the possible irritation you have.) Please eat foods high in fiber. The low residue diet that doctors had me on simply made my condition worse. It helps to toxify the colon and causes you not to eliminate enough to stay healthy. That will lead to diverticulitis as well as polyps and cancers.

A good absorbable multivitamin is also a good idea, especially while you are trying to heal. Don't buy anything at Walmart, GNC or a low grade store. Vitamin Shoppe is a nationwide chain that sells pharmaceutical grade supplements. I get my vitamin online and trust it not to add free radicals.

Please know that these conditions are not hereditary but only occur in families because of similar eating routines. You CAN get rid of whatever this is. If you would like to talk, I'll be glad too. This was a life long battlle for me. I'd love to help you avoid that!

God bless,

When I was diagnosed with IBS there was no definitive way to diagnose it. IBS was diagnosed based on symptoms and ruling out other conditions. IBS always involves bowel movement issues. Either diarrhea or constipation or having both.

IBS presents in many different ways and is believed to be cause by different things. My symptoms increase the most with stress tho food also irritates my intestines. Often there is no obvious cause for symptoms. You have to experiment to find what helps you feel better or worse.

Keep a journal listing what is going on in your life when you have spell. Try out different foods and write down results. Include date, time, events, symptoms.

I also suggest that you read up on IBS. You can find info on the Internet as well as in books.

Well first you need to calm your stomach down so I would stick to the BRAT diet till that gets better! Then start off slow and try different foods its like being a baby all over seeing what you can and can't have. I do have IBS and internal hemorrhoids that they found when doing a colonoscopy. Good luck!

1 / 3