Anyone Had a Child with an Anal Fissure?

My 3 year old daughter has an anal fissure due to hard/large stools. The doc put her on Miralax and it's helped her stool be soft, but she still bleeds at times. I took her to a pediatric gi doc and he suggested strong laxatives to clean her out. I am nervous to do this but I will. Does anyone have a child with a fissure that took a while to heal? The whole thing has me very worried.
Thanks,

Thank you to all the wonderful mamas out there who were kind enough to take time to write me. This group is an incredible resource! I feel more relaxed about the whole thing now and have some great ideas to try! I bought prunes today which I finally coaxed her to try and she liked them. I am going to buy some flax oil to put in her juice. I'd already started her on probiotics and had been searching for fibrous foods she likes (not just cheese!). It really helps to know these things can take time to heal!

Dear L., My name is A. Bofinger.I have a child with cerebral palsy he suffered similar problem for years. I've met some people they helped us,now I'm helping others.Best way to rech me on my phone ###-###-####.There is a chance to talk to parents who allredy been helped, best way to learn.

I am a child care worker. I have had many children in my care that have had this problem. A few of my parents resorted to putting mineral oil with liquids. Not much, just a half tablespoon or so in a sippy cup. The bowels came out easier without having to use anything as harsh as a laxative.

My 17 month old son has two anal fisure and they take a long time to heal. His doctor told me to give him as much fiber as possible and to limit dairy to make his stools super soft. I do notice a difference in his stools and he cries less when pooping but they still aren't healed. Apparently it just takes time. She also suggested putting vasaline on his anus to help heal and make it even easier for the poop to come out. I put it on with every diaper change. Good luck!

J. W.

Hi L., I read through your responses and you definitely got some great advice. My son struggled with constipation for 4 years - I tried EVERYTHING. I had the most success by far with Flax seed oil. I snuck it into everything. My favorite way to use it is in peanut butter - which is otherwise binding. Buy the natural kind, pour the oil off and replace it with flax oil. Then use only fruit sweetened jam and knarly whole grain bread when making a p&j. My son loved p&celery. Buy it at Whole Foods so you get a good brand like Barlens or Spectrum - with lignins is best. Keep cold! I also buy the "Golden" Flax seed (tastes better) and grind it in a coffee grinder fresh each morning to add to oatmeal (steel cut or multigrain) and smoothies and yogurt.
The second thing that helped were the probiotics (again, Whole Foods)
After that, exercise and water~! Oh yeh, a cute "potty" book helps too :)
Let me just say, you will get through this - there was a time I thought I may need to be committed, UGH, such a day to day emotional thing.
OH, as far as the fissure - my son had 4, 2 of which were caused when the Dr. did a colo-rectal biopsy :( I found a Tea Tree cream online (from Australia I believe) that finally worked wonders.
P.S. No amount of prune juice, fruit or veggies ever helped. Miralax did help but I loved dicovering flax - it gave me back my sanity~!
Feel free to write and vent, I know how trying the whole scene is.
Best of luck ~
By the way - I found bananas to be fine as long as they were very ripe.

I don't know about an anal fissure but I myself have battled constipation over the years and my daughter has a lot of food allergies so I do know of some more natural approaches to laxatives. First, it would be a good idea to add probiotics to your child's diet. This will balance out the bacteria in her intestines. You can find them at health food stores. I know Whole Foods has some for kids. They're also found in yogurt and keifer. You can also add 1/4 tsp of flaxseed meal (refrigerate after purchasing) to her diet. It can be given right off of a spoon or mixed with yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal etc. This will add fiber as well a lignens and Omega-3 fatty acids. You can also do an equal mix of bran, prune juice and applesauce and serve that daily. The problem with mainstream laxatives is that the body becomes too dependent on them and after a while can not regulate without them. In time, they can also cause constipation. Bananas and sweet potatoes can be constipating so if she is a lover of either those, you may want to make sure she's not eating them daily. Good luck. I hope some of this helps.

So sorry about your little girl's fissure. Witch Hazel is known to offer topical relief for the pain & works wonderfully to reduce inflammation. It's also great as a compress after childbirth! You can pick it up at any grocery store, usually by the pharmacy & it's around $1. Just saturate a cotton ball or cloth & pat/wipe softly. It's cold, but feels good when applied to a sore, inflamed area.

you're probably looking at her diet to see if there are constipation triggers, but keep in mind that it's VERY common at this age for kids to hold their poop & she might not even have allergies. Toddlers become very aware of their bodies & are trying to figure out how things work. There are side effects to all medication, even Miralax. Some very effective things that are healthful, can be used daily without side effects & can also be used in conjunction with medications if needed, are probiotics & also Omega fatty acids.

I swear by these & they are staples with us & our children. The yogurts with the live strains in them are okay as well, but contain alot of sugar & when you're having constipation issues sugar makes it worse. So does the dairy. A very reputable children's brand is Nature's Plus "Acidophikidz". It's a chewable tablet that my kids love & they're pretty picky.

Spectrum Essentials "children's DHA Omega 3 for Brain & Vision Development" is an excellent way to keep you child's intestinal tract healthy & moving things right along, even though it's labeled to promote vision/brain devel. This product contains 500mg Flax Seed Oil,which is hard to get down otherwise due to the taste & why I love this children's version. They are tiny little chewable gel caps that are naturally flavored with strawberry/banana & contain no sugar. Flax Seed Oil offers a ton of healthful benefits & is something you can use as a daily supplement.

And the most important thing is to of course trust your instinct. Testing can be very invasive & many dr's are quick to write a Rx & order a test to rule out the worst, but make sure you're comfortable with whatever course you take. We've been through quite a lot with both our daughters & the medical system. Every time I trust the dr's over my own judgement, I regret it.

This has come up a couple of times with my son's and the best thing is to encourage more fiber. I like Raisin Bran Crunch cereal as it is sweet and stays crunchy in milk but has a lot of fiber and helps a lot. It has 4g of fiber per serving. If she doesn't do cereal something else with lots of fiber might work. We put A&D ointment on it to keep it moist and it works well. We never used a stool softener or laxatives. Good luck!

Yes, my older daughter had very hard stools around that age and would bleed. It was so awful! The Miralax helped, and instead of using a prescription laxative, our doctor prescribed mineral oil. We would give her about 2 tablespoons by mouth a few times a day until she had runny poop. Then just Miralax in all her drinks after that. Also we took her off of regular milk, since that turned out to be the reason she was so backed up in the first place. At this point we give her soy milk or raw cow's milk, and that has kept the problem from recurring for us. Good luck; this is such a miserable thing to watch your child go through. It does take a while to get past it at first but she (and you) will get through it!

Hi L.:

My name is N. S. and I have a 21 month old grandaughter who was suffering from the same thing. She had stomach problems since she was an infant. Her pediatrician also put her on Miralax and that helped as long as we kept her on it. Since we did not want to keep her on stool softeners we would stop and then the problem would re-emerge.

We began to give her a teaspoon of mineral oil daily instead of the Miralax and also started her on prune and apple juices everyday. Although her stools are still large, she is not bleeding like before because they are soft enough to pass through and the mineral oil keeps the lubrication.

We give her crackers to make her thirsty and then give her a sippy cup with water and ice cubes which she loves. The bottom line is keeping the child hydrated all the time, which can be a challenge, but using juice, water and fruits that help in digestion will surely help.

The doctor also recommended putting a small dab of preperation H on the hemmoroid to keep the swelling down.

Good Luck.

Hi L., I am at the other end of the age spectrum. With a problem with constipation. This is what I do: eat plenty of dark green vegetables (broccoli works best) and I have been using Activia Yogurt made by Dannon, which contains"Bifudus regularis." Basically good bacteria. I am not a doctor, you might ask your doctor about this, but you might consider trying the yogurt. The decision is yours.
C. Peet

1 / 3