Anyone Give Vitamins to Their One Year Old?

I just brought my daughter for her 12 month check up and asked my doctor if she now needs to take vitamins because she will no longer be on formula. To my surprise, she answered that is wasn't necessary as long as she was eating well. When my son was her age, I remember his doctor at the time (different from the one we have now) said he now needed to take the poly-vitamin drops after he turned one and was no longer on formula. Just wondering what others have heard and were doing. Thanks!

My doctor told me that it is important that they take the poly-vitamin for their teeth. By them taking the vitamin it makes the adult teeth very strong even though they are still developing in the gum. Both of my kids were on them since they were 6 months old and I had used 2 different docs.My daughter is 6 1/2 and my son is 10 months.

My doctor told me the same thing when my daughter was younger. As long as she was getting a balanced diet he felt it wasn't necessary. I did start her on one this past year because she has become a picky eater & doesn't eat as balanced a diet as I think she should. Be careful if you decide to give her one because with some of the vitamins a dose is 1/2 a pill. They do sell vitamins now for under age 4.

We have a two year old and I have been giving her a supplement since she was 1. We have a close family friend who is a nutritionist. He says that even though the child may be eating well, so many of today's foods are processed and have extra preservatives / additives that a multi vitamin is very important for these developmental years. I give liquid drops (Baby Plex by Nature's Plus) in a small amount of juice in the morning as well as a fish oil supplement (for the Omega 3 fatty acids).

I definitely think the more modern approach is no, if they are eating a healty diet. Don't forget, we are under incredible pressure and exposed to so much marketing to make us think that we "need" things for our kids. On the other hand, I have also heard that it can't hurt, but you can overdose your kids on stuff, so don't do more then the one dose a day. My aunt is of the opinion, and I have seen this reflected in some science journals, that because of the changes we have made in the mass production of our food, that it isn't as nutritious as even a few decades ago, mineral content depleted in soil, etc., so you could take that into consideration. I would look into getting one that has no additives, preservatives, or sugars, though -- why put bad things in when you are trying to only increase the good?

As long as the child is eating a healthy balanced diet then a one year old isn't going to need a vitamin. Most toddlers and preschoolers will go through a picky eating stage and that's the time when a supplement will come in handy. Most vitamin chewables will tell you to take half until age 4, but follow the bottle directions. Children's nutrition should be from their food and drink. Only when they're lacking that balance (not amount as children don't need much) will they NEED a vitamin. Wait for their picky stage, then offer them.

K. B
mom to 5 including triplets

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarrisburgPAChat
Chat and events, within 2 hour radius

I have a four year old and a 7 month old. i have spoken to my doctor about giving my 4 year old vitamins. he told me that it would serve no purpose for her because she eats well and is growing and developing well.

My little guy just turned 1 and I asked my pedi the same question. He said it's not necessary but it's not going to hurt so do it if I want to. That seemed a little inconclusive to me! So my son has been seeing a hematologist for anemia (which I thought might be another good reason to give it--clearly he isn't getting what he needs through his food alone). The hematologist said definitely give the vitamin.

I'm not sure what the "right" answer is. I have friends whose pediatricians say "yes definitely" and mine and others say it's not necessary. I am now choosing to give it due to my son's anemia and the increased vitamin D recommendations and I figure it can only do good. But I seemed to get the same answer from my pedi as you. Who knows!

Is she a good eater? If so, it probably isn't necessary. Keep in mind that kids eat in weird patterns, too. One day they might eat up a storm and the next day not have much interest in food. That's normal. But if overall her eating is good, I wouldn't give a vitamin. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Hi L.. Our son's pediatrician said the same thing as yours. But, I just was not certain that he was getting everything he needed, so after asking around and checking, we started giving him the poly-vi-sol drops in his milk in the morning. They seem to do the trick! Hope that helps!

1 / 3