Anyone Get Periold While Breastfeeding?

Hi ladies, I"m exclusively breastfeeding my 18 week old. I thought I showed signs of ovulation...now I just seemed to have gotten my period? Anyone have this? I heard you shouldn't while nursing. Also, was your period different? help!

I've known many people who had their period. You don't even need a period to ovulate. I've known so many people who got pregnant, but had no period!!

With my first child, I got mine for the first time 10 mo. after giving birth, the second and third at generally the same time. All of three of my children were breastfed for between 15-19 months.

I got my first period around 11 months only lasted a few days and then didn't get another until 13 months. At 14 months it was like clock work already! :S

Help what. Of course you can ovulate while breastfeeding. Many women don't, but many women do. In fact, I have a friend that has 3 kids. She started ovulating at 4 weeks with all of them.

I personally don't ovulate while breastfeeding.

So use condoms! In fact, even thought I know I don't ovulate while breastfeeding, we ALWAYS USE PROTECTION, unless of course we want to create a baby.

I think I got my period back around the 5-6 month after our daughter was born; we breastfed until she was 21 months. I was a little disappointed because I, too, thought that it wouldn't come back until we were done BFing. My period IS different now; I have really bad PMS now and I never had that before. That really sucks!! BUT, my period now only lasts for 3 days.

I got my period back after 3 months of exclusive breastfeeding. My period was DEFINITELY different. Pre-pregnancy, I never had ANY cramping, bloating, PMS, or anything associated with periods. The only way I knew I was on it was when I noticed blood after using the bathroom. NOW I get it all. My poor hubby thought he was the lucky man who's wife didn't PMS. LOL! I also had to change tampons... the kind I used before weren't doing anything. I switched from tampax pearls to Playtex sports, with a liner as backup. I think 'down there' must have been rearranged or something. O_O

If you are worried about getting pregnant again, I would play it safe and get on the mini-pill. (It's progesterone only, so safe for nursing mothers.) Or condoms.

Almost every breastfeeding mom I know has gotten her period before weaning. The actual timing of it varies from mom to mom, but I've known women who've gotten as soon as six weeks after giving birth.

Nope. I went almost a full year period free, when it comes back, it comes back slowly and spotty. so some will get theirs earlier, then may skip a month or two... while others like me will go a long time.

C.,
Congratulations on breastfeeding your baby! That is the best thing you can do. And exclusive. How wonderful! So much more healthy for the baby. AND YOU!

yep. I had it first month back after both boys.

period comes back when it comes back. It's a nice vacation when you can get it, but, well, can't depend on that like your real vacations. ; )

However this time I didn't get as much nutrition after baby, and went through lactational amenorrhea, several months. It was a nice vacation but the reason for it wasn't so nice. I've lost 60 pounds since baby a year ago. I'm putting a little back on, but still losing in other areas.

This however doesn't mean you specifically are not getting enough nutrition - but check to see that you are getting not just 3 meals a day but snacks in between to support your nursing - and you!

Best thing you can do is high-calcium snacks after Noontime. Why? because your body absorbs calcium when you sleep - into your bones. Which is where nursing takes it from.

You don't mention how your period is different though. how do you need help?

Drink water, continue your prenatal supplements (although I have changed when I take mine to late morning then all after noon. ie: recommended dose is 4 capsules. I take one in late AM, then space out the other 3 over the afternoon. If I took them all at once, my body can't use all that at the same time and just flushes what it can't stuff into my cells, wasting them. You can tell if you are too close together with your vitamins if your urine is a dark yellow. Also if you're not getting enough water for you and nursing at the same time.)

Yep, I breastfed for 8 mo and my period started like a clock 8 weeks after delivery.

1 / 3