Anyone Else Dislike Their H.E. Washer?

We bought a GE Profile top loader HE washer last summer and I have done nothing but complain about it. I hate it... I can't even get simple dirt out of our clothes. I have had GE come out several times to make sure the unit is working properly. Now the stinking machine is leaving black oil marks on my clothes.

Hubby has agreed to get a new washer this weekend for me... ya!!! So, any recommendations. I think I want to go back to my water wasting more energy using washing machine that gets the dirt and grime out of our clothes. Is that bad of me?

Edited - We bought this last summer and it was replaced already once by GE. The first one was replaced within 2 weeks of purchasing. So, I agree I may have a lemon. GE is coming out again today to see about the grease oil spots it is leaving, but evenif they fix that part I still dislike the machine. Thanks.

Even tho I only have 4 responses at this time.. I am not feeling so alone anymore, lol. Someone feels the same as me about these stinking washing machines. What a relief to know I am not the only one! Ok, hehe, anyways... now I feel more comfortable going out washing machine shopping.

I have a Fridgidare(sp) front loader HE and although I feel the clothes are clean and mostly dry I hate the fact that the clothes sometimes fall on the floor when I take them out. I try to be careful but there is always a piece or two that end up on the dirty basement floor. I try to stick an empty basket in front of it and just pull them out into the basket then transfer to dryer. I wouldn't have bought it had I known I would have went with a top loader. I just bought it a couple months ago so I have years to go before it dies.

This is why I will not get a HE washer-even though I LOVE the looks of those front loading ones. They are notoriously horrible at cleaning. I don't want to gross you out but I have read of tests done on clothes cleaned with them and there was actually fecal matter still on them! I have the "old fashioned" top loader that probably uses a ton of energy but cleans perfectly. I will baby that for as long as I can-I don't care how unsexy it is.

02/17/2012 I purchased a beautiful Samsung 4.7 Cu. Ft. HE, Top load with glass lid. Samsung’s mistake is the glass lid. Me, my cat and 3-year-old grandson watch through the lid as dry clothes barley move theough the wash cycle. The “NORMAL” cycle is 70 minutes in length so clothing will absorb water by the end. Yuck!

After 3+ weeks of rewashing loads of clothing and numerous calls to tech support, the technician asked me to consider returning the washer. The technician said, “Trust me on this…return the washer”.
Narrow escape

I love mine but it is a front loader. I can't see how a top loader could even be high efficiency.

Anyway mine is a Samsung and works great.

Ugh, I am with you! We also have a GE HE machine, not sure if it's the same one you have? I was completely fine with our washing machine but then it up and broke 5 days after our son was born. Great timing. So we bought a GE HE because it was on sale and I am NOT happy with it. I have to do a second rinse on anything (which defeats the purpose of high efficiency, doesn't it???!!!) my son actually got a terrible chemical burn on his arm because our detergent (which is clear and fragrance free so we didn't see it) didn't wash out of his jammies. and it seems to be making my clothes pil faster. ugh. not much we can do about it now though, since it's only 5 months old and we can't afford a new one...
but yes, I'm with you, I hate it!!!

I have a Maytag Neptune HE front load washer and it is awesome, I've had it for about ten years and it has run/cleaned perfectly.
Maybe GE is not as good? Or maybe you just got a lemon :(

I got a new LG HE Top Loader a few months ago and I LOVE it! I don't understand how it uses so little water and gets my clothes so clean. Sometimes I get mesmerized just watching it wash my clothes (it has a glass lid). If I were you, I would check into LG washers and dryers. I did a lot of shopping around first and read a lot of reviews and LG consistently had high reviews. Also, I love having a top loader vs. a front loader. We were recently on vacation and our rental property had a front loader and I hated when I found one more sock, etc. to toss in the machine but I couldn't because I had just started the washer 30 seconds earlier. My mom also has a front loader and she's not crazy about it either.

I am so with you! We had a cheap no name top loader washer & matching dryer that we bought for like $400 for the pair from best buy, we had them for more than 4 years never had a problem. Last year we bought a front loading h.e. fridgidaire washer & dryer. I hate them! We have had to have the washer fixed 4 times now and let me tell you how fun not having a washing machine with twin infants is. I also have the same problem Mel f has with everything hitting the floor. I cant wait to buy another top loader. I regret getting rid of my cheapo set.

1 / 3