Any Tricks to Making Black Clothes STAY BLACK and New?

Hi Moms.

Is there any tricks to making black clothes staying and looking new and black? After a while they fade..but I would like to know if there are tricks to making them last a little bit longer.

Thank you to all in advance. I really appreciate it.

They make a woolite dark made specifically for dark clothes. I use that as my hubbys uniform is black pants and black cotton shirt.

Wash them inside out w/ only darks and like materials (do not wash denim with lightweight cottons) and do not dry them. I wash mine in warm with regular Tide - they have not faded.

Most detergents contain ingredients that actually cause clothes to deteriorate and fade. I suggest washing in cold water w/ Mela Power. If you need info on how/where to purchase let me know.

I was having this problem and I tried the following, which has seemed to work for me:
- always turn them inside out
- always wash blacks with ONLY other black clothes (no other colors)
- always use cold water and a gentle detergent (woolite or dreft)
- always tumble dry low

I also like the other suggestions you've received so I'm willing to try those, too! Thanks for asking the question and good luck!

I think it comes down to the fabric content. I can't say my blacks fade. I typically wash them in cold water with nothing more than regular detergent (free and clear).

Now if I could figure out how to keep my whites from graying/yellowing I'd be happy!

Wash inside out, with dark colors. Woolite dark also helps.

Part of your problem, however, is your latitude. My blacks fade like crazy when I'm living in sunny states (like CA, FL, even the north east... because they have sunshine in the winter). Here in WA, I can have true blacks for YEARS... because the sun doesn't bleach them as I walk around. Most of our days are overcast if not actually raining, and even our sunny days, the sun is "weak".

One trick for super sunny areas is to get sunscreen mist, and to mist your clothes as well as yourself.

There are a couple of detergents on the market that are made especially for dark clothing. Also, reducing friction in the washing machine and dryer...don't overload.

Myself? I basically wear black all the time. A couple of times a year I throw them all in the washing machine with a couple of bottle of RIT dye. It does a good job of refreshing everything and keep them in the same shade of black.

White vinegar or woolite.

1 / 3