Any Tips on Where to Start with Finding Assistance with Childcare?

My first child is not due until March and once he is born, I will be on maternity leave for 6 weeks and then will have to return to work. I have been searching the web and also reviewing by word of mouth how to find reliable daycare for him. One of my biggest issues is that the pricing that i am seeing for the per week rate is unreal! I wish I made the amount of money that they are asking for! Does anyone know of anywhere that I can contact to see about getting financial assistance for childcare? I am a first time mom, so i have no idea where to start. Any leads would be great! Thank you so much for your help!

Episcapal Children Services is really good. They will give you ideas on centers, they will also give you tips on what to look for in a center. I also believe they provide tuition help if you qualify. They are in the phone book. Hope this helps

Try contacting Episcopal Children Services. Their website is esc4kids.org

Try your local Dept. of Children and Families. They should have childcare on a sliding scale depending on your income level.

you need to contact social services (DCF) to see about qualifying for assistance with childcare - be aware, they will try for child support from daddy if he is not in the picture.

I don't know where you live but I live in Okaloosa county and our local Family and Children Services (or Child Services) helped me with something called 3rd party. It is awesome! My daycare is 18 a week for two kids! I was paying over $200 and I am a single mom. So check with your health department or Child Services. Not all daycares participate but our elementary school and the daycare the kids were already attending did. Good luck.

Congratulations N. on your upcoming birth! :)

Being a mom of twins, I completely understand what you mean about the price of daycare...that is why I'm a stay at home mom. Financially better for me to stay at home, than waste my paycheck on childcare. If you can afford to stay at home, that of course would be the "ideal" situation...of if your hubby or significant other did, but you have to be realistic. I don't know if the company you or your other source of income has the capability of having it taken out of your paycheck. Like paying for medical bills and supplies. For example: My husband works for T-Mobile and they have a program where they give you say $2K for medical expenses, and every paycheck it is taken out for that purpose. He has it for child care are well. Does that make sense? I can't remember what it is called off the type of my head....something along the lines of "Flexible Spending" or the like. That may be an option.
The other option might be a "nanny" or a college student that has a very flexible schedule. Short of family or a close friend, is all I can think of right now. I haven't found anything on the internet for finacial assisance, but maybe the government has some "FREE" money for a grant or something. Just an idea. :)
Sorry, I couldn't be of more help. If you find something, please share, so we can also know about financial assistance, for us moms that don't work outside of the home.
Take care,
God Bless,
J. D
Pensacola, FL

Mom to Ashleigh & Austin ~ 2 1/2

School Readiness program is finally opening enrollment for Hillsborough County call the Neighborhood Service Center at ###-###-#### and they can direct you futher. Good Luck

1 / 3