Any Other "Co-sleeping" Children?

My children have always been very close. They hardley fight and everyone always told me "just wait, they will". Well, at 5 and 9 they are still like PB&J. Anyhow, my daughter(9) has a king sized bed so when we have guests they can stay in there and she stays on one of the bunks in my son's room. But most nights he sleeps with her in her bed. If I tell him he has to sleep in his room he does without argument, but given the choice they always choose to sleep together. I have gotten a little flack about how appropriate it is to have boy/girl sleeping togehter, blah, blah. I disagree (obviously) but I wonder if I am in the minority. I am just wondering if any other parents allow this. I told my daughter she could decide when she needed privacy and she hasn't decided that yet so I figured I would just let them do it until they decided otherwise. I am curious about opinions out there.

I really appreciate all the positive (and few negative) responses to my children co-sleeping. As their mother I feel it is in no way harmful and there are many benefits to their relationship and security. I was really happy to hear many people agree and give me some constructive responses to people who approach me in a negative way about it. Thank you all.

I would not worry at all!!! I believe that they will do it on their own once they are a tad older!!! You will see... meanwhile enjoy this because it will be gone in a blink of an eye!!! Love, G.. :0)

I totally agree with you, and I say let them sleep together if that what they want to do. How lucky you are to have two kids that get along so well! I'm envious!

My boy is 5 months old and my girl is 2. I hope when they are that age they will bunk together if given the choice. This is not a situation of "a boy and a girl sleeping together" This is brother and sister. Family. I think it's wonderful they are so close. Throughout their lives I think they are lucky because they always got eachother.

Hi K.!
Good for you!
How awesome that your daughter and son are so close. I hope mine will be as well.
My daughter and son share a room, only my daughter is in bed with my husband and I a lot still (2.5 years) and my son (6 months) is in the crib all night, but if/when he starts waking in the night we will bring him in bed with us, and when we have a more spacious home or when we get rid of the crib, we'll buy a bed that they can both fit in and my guess is that they will be in bed together to cuddle and feel safe and secure and before I know it, my daughter will be 9 and I'll be asking the same question you are right now!
:)
I have a masters degree in clinical psych. and would say that developmentally, if your children feel safe and loved, then YEAH!!! They will be just fine!
:)
If your daughter is still okay with her little brother being close, awesome. And she may be okay with it forever.
Privacy shmimacy, right?
She may go thru moodiness and times when she doesn't want him around, but she may go thru moodiness and be lonely sometimes and WANT him around, so as long as you help him understand boundaries, it's all good.
Sometimes he may be sad if she isn't wanting to cuddle, but if you and your husband are always the back-ups, then he won't feel so alone if he gets shunned or sent away from her.
Maybe it's because i have my little boy in my lap right now that I am being sensitive to his feelings and what may happen, but it sounds like you are teaching your daughter to stand her ground and state her needs, and that is perfect.............
so my 2 cents is:
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
You are doing AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
El Segundo, CA

I only have one two-year-old daughter, but I think it's beautiful that your two children like sharing a bed. Leaving it up to your daughter is wise; once she's uncomfortable with it (I give it a year - two tops!), then it will stop. Enjoy their precious innocence while you can!

HI, Co sleeping is so natural in other country's! America is so segreagated.
My kids are 4 & 7 brother and sister and they LOVE to sleep together in fact I think they sleep better together. My husband I tend to fall asleep when reading to our kids and end up sleeping next to one of them. When my children are out in public , or a group gathering they socialize with the adults as well as the kids, they don't cling to our laps.I believe part of that comes from being well nurtered at home, they feel safe. I mean come on does it really make sense that that we MOm & DAD grown adults sleep together in the other room and we say good night kids sleep ALONE in ur BIG dark room Sweet DreaMS> NO NO NO Tell ur friends to braoden their horizons....with that said they'll grow older and sleep alone, for now let them be comforted kids! K.

I have 4 kids and the oldest 3, all 2 years apart are very close. My son is the oldest, 8 and he has a queen bed for the same reason your daughter does. My girls 6 & 4 love it when we allow them all to sleep together. We found though, that they ended up playing more than sleeping, so we only allow them to sleep together on the weekends or make it a special "sleep-over."
We did have to go over some rules though, as a few years ago they became curious with one another. We no longer let them bathe together and they change in their own rooms. As long as they can respect one another and know that they can have provacy when they want it, go for it!
I think it is beautiful when kids get along and are close!

you know your children better than anyone else. If you think they are better off, then they are!!!!!
Never question your parenting. That is when you will make mistakes.

You go girl!!! That's how I grew up, partially because we didn't have the money and partially because my brother was my protector. Even when I didn't feel good it was always ok -until he got to an age that wasn't "cool" :P - to share a bed.
Anyhoo, I did/do co-sleeping with my sons and I think it helps make them more secure.

If your 9 yr. old daughter is ok with it and you are then thats all that matters. Whats right for one isn't always right for another!!!

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!

My children are three and four and they do everything together. I think you should allow them to continue to sleep together as long as they are behaving. My children sleep together every night. I just make my kids change in another room and they do not take a bath together any more. They are very curious so I thought it best to seperate them already when they are not dressed. I just hope that my children stay as close for as long as your children have. Consider yourself blessed and those who do not agree with you probably just secretly wish their children would be that close.

1 / 3