Any One with a 16 Going on 17 Daughter

Tell me your not the only one who's daughter is going to DIE if her cell phone is taken away. All of the messages I read have to do with little ones but I need help with the bigger ones. They all grow up and I need some advise.

I can't believe how many responses I have received. I thank each and everyone of you. It sure helps to know I am not alone. Thanks for the support to stick to my guns. Can you believe that we all have made it and we didn't have cell phones?

I have a 17 year old son and it is DEFINITELY the only punishment that is effective with him. If you want to really get her attention and show her you are serious about whatever issue than I recommend taking the cell phone. It's amazing how quickly they get it together!

Ok, my 14 year old son begged us for 3 years to get him a phone, we finally relented this past christmas and even bought him the first 500 minutes. We decided to make him responsible for all his minutes but bought him a really nice phone. It has worked wonders but he lives for that thing! THen to make it even worse he LOST the dang thing. Life ended for approximately a week and since he can't find it and we will not buy him a new one he has decided life can continue without a phone. Give her a week and she will realize there are other forms of communication, hopefully!:)

i don't have a teenager, but i do remember being one who had a hard time letting go of phone time. at that age, my parents were trying to enforce a 15 minute limit on my phone calls, for reasons that made sense to them, but they were unaware of how much i needed to talk to my friends on the phone at the time. i had a few close friends and that year we had no classes together. i even shared a locker with my best friend and was lucky to see her for 2 minutes in a day. i was lonely and counted the minutes until my friends got home from various meetings and practices so that we could finally talk. none of us had access to cars and my parents were very busy with their businesses (part of the reason for the phone limit), and couldn't drive me to friends' houses. i tried to keep the phone rule, but i just couldn't because emotionally i needed so much to talk to my friends. so my parents eventually took away all phone privileges to enforce my respect of their rules and i went into a depression. they were clueless about it. now, i don't necessarily believe that teens need cell phones, even if they help pay for it with their own job. i just think sometimes their money could be better spent or saved. but before further limiting her phone use, please consider first if she would have her social/emotional needs met without it.

That's me! She's 16 going on 17. I only pay for the basic cell phone because it's really for me. I need for her to be able to call me when she's finished with an activity at school (or something similar) so I can pick her up. I do not pay for any texting. She is well aware that she'd have to pay for any extras from her money. Guess what ... we've NEVER had any extra charges. If you are intending to take away her cell as punishment, make sure you're not punishing yourself. If so, get her a trac phone (sp?) with limited minutes to be used only to contact you and/or she can only have it when it benefits you. She's going to DIE because you have her attention. Do it! You are in charge and now more than ever she needs to know that. Cell phones and car keys are the two most impactful recourses.

Blessings,

I have teenagers, and I have to say we all need more advice on our teens than on all these little baby issues! As for your teen, everything is soooooo extravagant! They will just die over everything!?! But how else can they learn lessons and responsibility for their actions? I've had to take my kids' cell phones away a few times, they just have to deal and realize that not everything is roses, and there are rules and consequences. She'll get over it, just give her incentives to earn it back.

Hi R.!
I have a 17.5 year old and when she needs to be brought down to reality, I take her phone away! This is the one thing she cannot live without. SO...when I need her to get something done, or she is out of control, I take that phone and it works like a charm!

A., seasoned mom to a 17.5 year old, an 11 year old and an 8 year old.

Hi R.,
My daughter is 17. She just got grounded and her phone besides other things got taken away. She is adjusting rather well considering one month she had 11,100 text messages. What other questions do you have?

Not only can my 16-year-old daughter (who will be 17 this August) not live without her cell phone. WHEN (not if) she breaks it (she's on her fifth or sixth phone) from flipping it open too hard or dropping it or whatever, she seems to think we are responsible for purchasing a new one for her. Best thing I ever did was put insurance on her line. $50 is a lot easier to swallow than $200 or better, but she still has to work it off. This is THE most effective punishment. This and taking away the car keys. Without either, my husband and I are considered the ultimate worst parents on the planet!
My kids are 16 (G), 8 (G), and 3 (B). I feel your pain.

Hi R.. I have three teenage daughters, 17, 15 and 13. I don't quite understand your question, so try again and I am happy to respond. Thanks.

1 / 3