Any Lunch Ideas for 5 Year Old?

Hi, my 5 year old boy is starting Kindergarden on Monday. He's never gone to any kind of daycare or Pre-K, so this is the first time he'll go to school. I need some ideas of what to put in his lunch box for lunch. I can purchase lunch through his school, but I would like to send him a lunch from home some days instead. He loves eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch, but he needs more than that. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you all for the great ideas! Now I have a better idea of what I can give my son whenever I don't use the school's food service. Thank you!

Go online and google best sack lunches for elementary school children. Menus and more should come up.

Veggies with ranch dip are a great choice. SO is fruit, granola bars, chunks of meat or cheese and 100 calorie pack snacks. It's great you're trying to give him healthy lunches! As a K teacher I know many parents who do not appear concerned with this.

Here's what my son likes: A sandwich (ham and cheese), a frozen Go-gurt (yogurt you can eat without a spoon, I freeze it and know it's still cold when lunchtime rolls around), a little container of animal crackers (or Teddy Grahms, Scooby snacks, etc), fruit snacks, and sometimes a cheese stick, banana, applesauce, or Nutri-grain bar. I buy the Minute-Maid orange juice (100% juice), or the Capri Suns Water Beverages. I have a little ice cooler "thing" in the shape of a football that I put in with his lunch to make sure it all stays cold. I would suggest you just pack up some things that you know he likes to eat and won't need a lot of assistance with opening or eating. I hope he has a wonderful first day!

I have 2 kids, 10 & 8, so I feel as though I'm an old pro. My suggestion would be to invest in a good lunch box sized thermos. It's expensive to start (around $12 -$15) but ours has lasted through the years. I use it at leaset once a week. It's great for left overs, i.e. spaghetti, mac & cheese w/ cut up hot dog, stir fry, etc. The trick is to fill it with boiling water, cap it, turn it over and let it sit upside down for 5 min. before you empty it and put in the heated up food. Food will stay hot/warm until noon.

Another trick is to freeze Gogurts. They will act as a freezer pack and be thawed out by lunch time.

I'm all for healthy snacks as a rule but on the 1st day I usually pack a treat to make it feel extra special.

The MOST important 1st day lunch box item is a note from you. Sounds hokey but I always put on my brightest, loudlest colored lipstick and kiss a note card and write a big "I love you". Even my macho 10 y.o. boy thinks it's funny!

My 5 year old loves her pb&j sandwich, carrot sticks, apple sauce, a banana, and a couple of cookies with a 100% juice box or her water bottle. Some other things to mix it up a bit...yogurt, pudding, baked chips, cheese crackers, hummus w/carrot sticks, tuna or egg salad, cheese quesadilla (I make it with 2 whole wheat tortillas grilled with shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese).

Don't forget to write a note everyday with a special message on his napkin!

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is always fine since the peanut butter has lots of iron which is great for kids and adults as well - you will more than likely find out that they should pack two snacks and two drinks as well. One snack and drink will go with their lunch and the other snack and drink will be eaten at a seperate time in class to give the kids that extra burst of energy to get them through their day (that is if Kindergarten is full day - which is usually the case in most States now. Anyway, I always change up the snacks, but make sure they are healthier - teachers frown upon "junk" food for snacks such as candy. Depending on what your child likes here are some suggestions. . . cheeze its or cheese nips, pretzels (not the sticks though - Kindergarteners like to be silly and poke each other at times - plus it can cut the roof of their mouth), natural fruit roll ups, etc. You can actually get bags of pretzels at the Dollar Tree type stores. As far as drinks - there are the smaller box drinks and larger ones - keep an eye on how much your son drinks to see that you aren't wasting the drink - with me working as a sub-monitor at lunch time I see lots of kids throw most of their drinks away - they just don't always drink alot - I alot of times pack a sport type drink and fill it up with things other than milk - since obviously that will perish quickly even in a cooler type lunchbox. Then you can actually see how much they really drink. I wouldn't buy capri sun drinks - little ones have difficulty punching the straw into the drink and either spill some or won't drink it at all because they are too embarrassed to ask someone to help them especially when there are sooooo many other children to compete against to get the monitors attention (my daughter is shy and wouldn't ask for help - so I made sure to give her things that are "easy open"). Anyway, I hope these few tips help. I also would put a note inside their lunch box that they could read - such as I "heart" U - draw the heart for I love you!! or make a silly pic of something - kids LOVE to see a note from their Mom's!!! Good luck with everything . . . Another At-Home-Mom ~C.

Don't pack too much of anything. You do need to have some veggies and/or fruit in each day. Stay away from the cakes and cookies as many will just eat the dessert and throw away the rest. Carrot sticks, celery sticks with some ranch dressing is eaten by many children. Use the zip lock bags and little plastic lidded containers and cut up cantaloupe or watermelon when in season. My granddaughter likes to take tuna salad & crackers and also cottage cheese and canned peaches. On the days you use this you may want to put in a peanut butter cracker. Some also like cucumbers. If you will dip the cut up apple in orange juice it will not turn dark and only put in about 1/2 apple. Small amounts of things he likes will be eaten much more readily if there is no more than he can really enjoy. With fresh peaches in season right now you can also cut them up and soak in orange juice. Be sure all the fruit is bite sized. V.

Fruit is always a heathly choice and perhaps some carrots or celery? Ants on a log? Celery with peanut butter in it and raisens on top like ants. You can always put a little special treat like pretzels or sunchips if he eats that sort of thing. I'd also include a little homemade card, since he's not reading well yet, you can cut out a heart or make a smiley face with "I LOVE YOU" on it and his name. I'm a little sappy that way, but I bet he'd like it! Good luck!!!

My son will also start kindergarten, you think the world is small enough they will be in the same school and/or classroom??
I also think about sending my son to school with lunch money some days and home made lunch on others, what I thought about doing is checking out the school menu for ideas, they have like three different choices for each day of the week..
You can ask the teacher for the lunch menu list for each month and you can take it from there..

1 / 3