Any Input on These Two Vehicles?

Ok, so the transmission on my Honda Odyssey went out, and with 200,000 miles on it we decided not to fix it and get a new car. We have narrowed it down to the '05-'06 Nissan Pathfinder, and '04-'06 Honda Pilot. Anyone who could share their experience with these 2 models would be great. We've got to buy soon, and I don't know anyone that's had either.

Well, we test drove both, and I really loved the pilot just like everyone else. But we couldn't ( at this time) justify the extra money it would take to buy a comparable Pilot. We found a really great deal on a Pathfinder that made it really easy for us. It's not a Pilot, but it is VERY sporty, which I love and it has a sunroof- I've always wanted a car with a sunroof. Anyway, thanks all for the input.

Never driven a Pathfinder, but I bought a used '03 Pilot in '07 just before my twin boys were born. LOVE IT!! Great space. Very reliable. Comfortable. I have 107000 miles on it and plan to drive it for as long as I can. Then, will probably do another Pilot. Hope that helps.

I have a Pathfinder and I never regretted my decision until....we had our 2nd child. If both of your kids are in regular car seats, great. But, if your 9 mth old is still in an infant carrier, there will not be enough room for the carrier to be in properly and the passenger seat to go back to a comfortable position for an adult. (doesnt work on drivers side either) That is my only complaint, otherwise its been a great reliable vehicle. I will be trading it soon for an Armada because I want a bigger backseat!! Good Luck!

Hey K.. We had the 2005 Pathfinder and it was hard with 2 small kids. Just maneuvering in a out w/ my newborn and 2 year old was pretty difficult. Parking spaces are so narrow these days that doors that swing out are hard to manage w/ small kids. And when you're trying to get kids into car seats, or especially when trying to remove an infant carrier from the base in the car, I found it to be often frustrating. I felt like I had to turn my children on their sides (while buckled in the infant carrier) just to be able to squeeze them through the space available when opening the door as wide as I could, trying not to bang up the car beside me. (Are you just looking at SUVs? I swore I would never drive a minivan, and would always drive an SUV, until we rented one while on vacation. They are MADE for people w/ young children. I swallowed my pride, and ended up loving mine.) Additionally, there were things about the Pathfinder that were just not well made: the seat cushions are *very* hard (I thought firm would be advantageous) and after more than 30 minutes in the car, I became very uncomfortable. The key fob is an engineering disaster. Very sensitive and so very easy to set off the car alarm when keys are in your pocket or bang up against something in your purse. We even called Nissan to see if they had updated the key fob and would send us a new one -- they didn't/wouldn't and even said they'd had a lot of calls . . .
Does the one you're looking at have running boards, to step up on to get into the car? We had to have some put on because it was really hard for me to get in -- although I'm not terribly short (abt. 5'4"), I was 8 months pregnant at the time we got it. But still needed a little boost to get in, even when not pregnant.
I'm sure there were more disadvantages. But that's about all I remember right now. The benefits that I miss about an SUV are cargo space, cargo space, and cargo space!! Plus being higher up off of the ground was a benefit to me as well.
Hope this helps!
Margaret

---------------
After re-reading, I see that you've had a minivan, so you know all about them! Good luck making your decision!

I have an 08 Honda Pilot and I LOVE it. I feel it hugs the road, and I looked in the Baby Consumer Reports for 07 and Honda Pilot ranked #1 for small SUV. I was used to driving a little car so I test drove a couple of SUV's and I never felt they hugged the road like the Pilot.

About the Pathfinder... I think there is a safety issue there. I think they roll over too easily. I had a couple of friends flip them in college. (I am sure it had to do with their driving too, but I steered away from that one because of that.)

When I was buying my 08 pilot there was a couple who had had an 06 and they were gettning another pilot. They assured me I would love it. I feel it was a good purchase. We also got a GREAT trade in value on my old car from the Honda place. My only gripe about the pilot is that the lights don't come on automatically... they go off automatically, but I don't know why they didn't make them come on by themselves. That seems like it would be an easy improvement. (I was used to that in my previous vehicle.)

G.

I agree with the Pilot people. I just traded my 2007 Pilot in for a 2010 yesterday. I have never had a single problem with the '07, and look forward to to the same with my 2010. They have plenty of room for whatever you need to lug around-strollers, groceries, kids, etc. I test drove a Pathfinder before I got the '07, and I thought the ride in it was not as comfortable and there was not as much room in the back seat as the Pilot. I should add that I REALLY wanted the Pathfinder before I went test driving, and was disappointed when I found I didn't like it as well. Good Luck!

A friend just sold their pilot in your age range because they needed more cargo room. They have five kids, so it seated everyone, but then there wasn't much of any room for luggage, and they'd have to borrow a cargo thing to go on top. Other than that, they loved it. They bought an odyssey to replace it.

I'll be the sole voice for the Pathfinder :) I've got a 2006 model, and have really enjoyed it. It's got plenty of room for us, really have no complaints to speak of. My husband has his eye on a Toyota Sequoia because of the larger backseat (he's 6'4", so I understand, but he NEVER rides back there, so what difference does it makes?!?!). This is my second Nissan, and I've had good luck with both. Good luck with your choice!

try Consumer Research

1 / 3