Any Ideas on a Christmas Gift That a 3 Year Old Can "Make"?

I'd love to have my kids make something for their grandparents for Christmas...but the oldest is 3. They constantly color pictures for them and make cards so I'm looking for some other ideas...any thoughts? We're already planning to bake cookies...any other ideas? Thanks!

These are all fantastic ideas! I can't wait to go to the craft store and try some of them. Thank you all so much! Happy Holidays!

Here's an idea of something I did with my kids a few years back...the grandparents (who we gave them to) loved them!

Here's what you need...

blue ball oraments (plain color)
white paint
paint pens or different color paints
and the note to attach

You paint the childs hand white then gently place the oranment in their hand and let them grab it then when they let go you should see a white handprint. Let it dry. Then when it's dry, each finger is a snowman so you decorate it, I usually do this part, to make it look like 5 snowmen standing together and maybe make some snow coming down around them. Then when you're all finished you attach a note that says...

"These aren't just five snowmen
As anyone can see,
I made them with my hand
Which is a part of me.
Each year when we trim the tree
We'll look back and recall
Christmas of 2008
When my hand was just this small."

I googled it and found a video on YouTube, here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weHExt5Aw-k

this idea comes courtesy of a long time elementary teacher (who happens to be an aunt to my nieces on their other side of the family). She helped them create a reindeer doormat. After buying a plan, cheapie door mat, she had my nieces step in a bowl of waterpaint (or a giant stamp pad will do), and create footprints on the map. Then their aunt drew the remaining parts of the reindeer.

If you go to the Family Fun magazine website, there are a plethora of easy, cute craft ideas.

Why don't you go to a craft place like Michael's or Hobby Lobby and see if you could purchase an age appropriate kit. They always have such great ideas available, or it may spark an idea of your own. Have fun!

I just did this yesterday with my 3 year old. Michael's stores has a craft ornament kit where you make little picture frames from Christmas trees, sled and snowflakes. Your child's job is to decorate each one - with stickers (comes with in the box). We did this yesterday and we made 16 ornaments to give as gifts - I just had to get wallet size pictures and I glued them in.

I always love handprints in plaster or those plaster kits. Also - "peppermint candy wreath ornaments are fun - just for decoration purposes, not to eat! Use hard red/white candy, place in a wreath-shape circle on lightly greased piece of aluminum foil, giving them a little room between candies so they can spread, bake in oven, watch the candy melt slightly and join together. Take out of oven, take 1/2 of a paper clip and immediately stick in the top of the wreath before they harden. Once hardened, glue a little bow on it. You can also varnish before you add the bow. Good luck.

T.,
Check out Family Fun Magazine, they have excellent craft ideas every month.
We also made Tshirts for the grandparents. I had the kids draw a giant red heart with puffy paint and then I painted their hands with whatever color puffy paint they wanted and then put their handprints over the heart edges so it looked like they were holding the heart and then we wrote MY GRANDKIDS HAVE A HOLD ON MY HEART.
We also make Christmas cookies every year and the kids can decorate them anyway they want or use christmas cookie cutters and we hand out tins of homemade cookies to anyone who purchases a gift for my children but I don't "purchase" gifts for them.

I'm not crafty, so I go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and buy either the wood or ceramic ornaments that need to be painted and have my son go to town. He is also 3.

I also picked up large wooden snow flakes and had him paint one for us and one for his grandparents.

For thanksgiving I found a turkey that he painted. I plan to try to find something for every holiday.

I like the idea of trying a ceramic store. We did a grill plate for my husband for his first fathers day and we plan on going again to make a plate for Santa's cookies.

Hi T.,
How about Snowman ornaments using your son's hands. We used blue ornaments with white paint. Then black sharpies to draw hats and faces. A "low mess" option is to take clear ornaments and roll the paint inside (a hint: a little paint goes a long way). Or if you have a pottery place near by you could have your older son paint a plate an then at the end put their handprints on it and Grandma could use it each year for something special (rolls, eggs, veggies, etc).
Best wishes for a happy holiday!

1 / 3