Any Ideas About a Painful Lump Right Above C-section Incision?

I had an emergency C section about 5 weeks ago. It hasn't been infected (my incision is still closed and intact) but noticed a lump directly above/along the upper, left edge of my incision. I noticed it forming the day after surgery (about a centimeter in length) and it never really bothered me. Starting 2 weeks ago, it's very sensitive and tender to touch. I can't even wear my pants above it. Could it be a keloid? sometimes it gets red on and off during the day. Otherwise it's the same color as the rest of my skin. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I'm scared it will continue to cause tenderness, as I've read on the internet and heard before that there's been some people who have experienced pain for a long time after their surgery.Any suggestion is greatly appreciated

Hi Z.,
I don't want to frighten you, but I had a similar experience. My incision was infected, however. When the doctor couldn't drain the infection from the outside, she decided to perform surgery the next morning. Thank goodness she had to open me up, because she found a blood clot the size of a large egg. It was removed and I had to wear a wound vac for 6 long weeks after that, but I am truly grateful that it was discovered. Please call your OB so that he or she can look at it and run the appropriate tests to find the problem!! Good luck, I will be praying for you. Please let us know how it all turns out.

I've had two c/sec. My first one was a (FILL IN THE BLANK). My scar still gets very inflamed about 3-4 days before my period and then stay swollen and painful. But its all across- not just one spot! I'd call your OB and just ask what it could be. Maybe more scar tissue in that one spot? In any case, it totally sucks and you've got my sympathy!

I had that - it turned out to just be scar tissue and went down about a year afterward. But I would definitely see your doctor about it to rule out anything serious. Everyone heals differently and for me it took about 6 months before I felt like my "old self" as far as the pain went. But I know other women who have had c-sections and have recovered well after 2 months or less. I'm due with my second in April and really hoping for a VBAC so my recovery time is less!

i went to my doctor cause i'm dealing with a lump centimeter in size and very painful/tender/sore to touch...its right above and close to my c-section scar. my doctor felt the lump and all around the area..NO hernia NO infection NO cyst NO scarring..said i healed very well and the lump seems to be endometrial scarring. he said it may take a bit to completely heal..if bothersome or gets worse they can perform surgery and cut it out. it only hurts if touched or when holding something like a laundry basket for example..so i choose to not mess with it..i rather NOT have surgery..c-section was bad enough. i just pray and hope it gets better and goes away. hope this helped anyone...i was terrified it was something way worse...but its always best to see your doctor if you have any concerns..only you know whats best and in this case i needed my doc to ease my mind=)

Hi - I also strongly suggest you talk to your doctor about any pain or anything strange relating to your incision, or even get a second opinion if you are not sure you are healing properly. A C-section incision is a major wound that can take a long time to heal, some of us seem to take a much longer time than others. I had a C-sec with my first, and while I didn't have any weird lumps or sharp pains or infections, it took about a year for the incision site to stop feeling strange and uncomfortable - it was easily irritated, alternately numb, tingly, sensitive, uncomfortable, and just plain strange for most of a year - which my doctor said was not anything to worry about medically. BUT ASK YOUR DOC!!! Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

Hi Z., and congrats on your sweet daughter!

The same thing happened to me after my 1st C-section. I went in, after thinking I might have a hyrnia or something, but they told me it was just scar tissue. These C-sections are really invasive (I've had 2 now) and it just takes your body a while to recover from it. Take it easy if you can, keep it clean, and if it persists be sure to have your Dr. take a look. Good luck! Enjoy that baby girl!

It's a good thing that you should have a 6 week check-up with your OB very soon! Depending on how long it's been painful, and how long it is until your check up, I'd even call in the morning and ask to talk to the triage nurse.

I had a c-section almost 7 weeks ago, and my very unattractive "dunlop" above my incision is also getting quite tender to the touch. I'm glad that I had to postpone my 6 week check up so that I can ask my OB about it. I get very nervous about it.

Might be scar tissue but I would call you doctor, he might be able to tell you over the phne or he may want you to come in before you 6-8 week checkup. I had a c-secion but do not recall any lumps.

1 / 3