Any Experiences with a Child Having Tonsils and Anenoids Removed?

Hello, my four year old goes in for surgery to have his tonsils and anenoids removed and new tubes put in his ears. We have been through the tubes before, as he has had it done and so has his sister (twice); but I was wondering if anyone has any advice to share about having tonsils removed (both surgery and post-op) that they would care to share.The doc sends home papers of course, but it is pretty cut and dry. I had my tonsils removed at 3 and it was a big deal then, but now seems to go very smoothly and is only day-surgery. So, if you have been through this, what do wish the doc and hospital had told you before hand? and any advice for a cranky four year old that hates the doctor and hospital(he has been multiple times in the last six months, a sick little boy)?
Thanks, B. C.

My daughter had her adnoids out and she did ok. My brother had his tonsils out and did ok, i think he just like the fact the doctor told him that he could have all the ice cream he wanted. LOL. I think it will go smoothly and as they say kids bounce back faster then we do. As for not liking the doctor, i think after he gets this done he will feel better and since he probably wont have to go so much to see him he will do ok. Good Luck

Hi B., Wow, all of these kids that are having their tonsils and adenoids removed are so young!! My son had his out at age 8 which was 10 yrs. ago. I was more scared than he was, he was in and done in 20 minutes! He went home that night. The big thing is that they will probably throw up (blood and whatever else is in their stomach) and soft diet, take the paid medicine RX or at least ibuprofen and any antibiotic given. They will experience a sore throat and poss. pain in the ears for about a week. I had mine out at age 8, 30 yrs. ago and it pretty much went just the same way, I remember it hurt pretty badly afterwards. They will give him some type of sedative before surgery so he's relaxed and then take him to surgery, put him to sleep and he's done pretty quick. The scary thing is that my son was bloated from the anesthesia and he had a few red bruises around his mouth from them stretching his little mouth all out and they are kind of "weird, out of it" until the drugs wear off, this was the difficult part for me because I had never seen him this way before. But this went away in just a couple of hours and the nurses were really great about reassuring me and checking on him regularly.
Try to get some good sleep the night before (tylenol PM works)
and plan on just babying him for a few days, lots of fluids too. Hope I didn't scare you, good luck!!

Hey B.~

I want to let you know that I have a now 5 year old little boy and he is doing great. He had his surgery about a year ago. The doctor that did his surgery was great. They explained to me and my hubby that we need to feed him "junk" for the next two weeks. This includes pop, ice water, slushies, frozen pops, ice tea, etc..... The doctor was not worried about him eating at all. Just as long as he stayed hydrated. I will admit he did lose some weight, but he has gained it all back and then some. He is healthy, and alot better off than he was a year ago. I want to also let you know that anything he drinks or eats "should NOT" be red!! You don't want to get it confused with blood. They made that clear to me. He did not really start eating some sort of solid food until about the fourth day after. He was starting to suck on some jello and applesauce. I didn't push it. He went about a month of not really eating anything good for him. I do want to let you know, make sure you keep his throat wet at all times. If his throat goes dry he will be in alot of pain. We kept ice water with him 24/7. The surgeon made it clear that he needed to keep his throat moist. If he doesn't you could be back in the hospital. I don't want to scare you, but you should know. If you have any more questions just holler at me. Good luck to you.

~S.

How funny! My daughter just had this same thing done the day after Christmas this year! She turned 6 just a week later, so I would say our kids are similiar in ages, so maybe I can help you. My other girls had a bad experience with this also, so I was prepared to spend the whole day/night at the hospital, imagine my delight when 2 hours after surgery she was eating chicken noodle soup and only 6 hours later we were on our way home! I would say that the hospital had a huge impact on how this went, also her surgeon, we live in a small community with a local hospital, but she has really bad asthma, and I didn't feel comfortable having it done here, so we went to a larger city to do it, with the same surgeon. I would say also that YOUR attitude will greatly impact the outcome. I didn't play it down, because when you're little it IS a big deal, I was just honest with her, answered her questions the best I could so I didn't frighten her and if I didn't know an answer we asked the nurses or doctor. After we returned home, a almost 1 hour and 15 minute drive, I made sure we kept up on the tylenol, in fact, she never did need the prescription that the dr had given us, although I had it filled just in case. She ate just about everything she normally did, but not chips the first 2 weeks. I was really apprehensive about having all of this done, I just went through a really nasty divorce/custody battle with her father, so I wasn't sure how this stress would affect me, but I just kept my head up. Let me know how you do. I also bought a new backpack for her and filled it with coloring books/crayons, new FLOAM(the newest coolest stuff!), some new lipgloss, and little things to keep her occupied in the hospital and on the way home. It was fun for her to get a suprise, and made it go well. Hope this helps!

E.

Hi B.!

From a medical aspect, I would suggest no dairy products (they tend to cause a lot of mucus in the throat). And do not give your son any jello or ice pops that are red, just in case he should have any bleeding you will want to distinguish between the two. The first few days he may have very little appetite, and generally that is ok, but try to encourage fluids as much as possible. As long as he is urinating several times a day, that is a good sign that he is staying well hydrated. Good Luck!

my daughter just turned two when her tonsils and adnoids were taken out. They took her back and called us about 20 minutes later to be with her when she woke up. She was really out of it and when she could drink half of the juice cup, they said it was ok for her to go home. We got her to the house and she was vomiting blood (which freaked me out). She was so out of it she didn't even notice. She slept a lot (keep something washable under your son at all times until he has "come to" fully) The dr. said the vomiting blood was from the blood she swallowed during surgery. They said it was normal. Very soon she was up and talking very squeeky and horse at the same time and acting fine. She was mad that she couldn't eat what the other kids were eating but turned out fine.
Good luck with this, it broke my heart to see her in pain but now she's healthy and we don't hear her snoring from across the house anymore (which took some getting used to).

At 1 my son had his tonsils and adnoids removed I was amazed at the recovery process they kept him in the hospital over night because of his age but he was up running around within 2 hours it never stopped him from being a kid. Getting him to eat again I would say was the hardest thing the doctor told me he would eat soft foods right away and he refused it so it was basically drinking for the first 2 days and not eating anything. They gave him Morphine in the hospital and then sent us home with Lortab. I wish the best for you both.

None of my kids have had their tonsils taken out, but my niece has. Here in Enid and Integris Bass it is outpatient surgery. She went in 2 hours before surgery. Then they gave her an IV and medicine to calm her. After the surgery, she had to stay in the hospital until she peed. Then she went home. She went in at 6am and was out by noon. I hope this helps.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

surgery tonsils tubing