Ants with Wings in My Bathroom

I have these ants with wings in my bathroom. They don't seem to be able to fly, they kind of jump. How do I get rid of them. R.

It could be ants or it could be termites. Many ants have wings while they are getting ready to re-nest. This is the time of year both ants and termites will be swarming. Carpentar ants can be a big problem as well as termites. We have battled both, and prefer to use a exterminator for those jobs. Carpentar ants will often take over area's that have been previosly decayed from termite damage, or rotting wood.

Both ants and termites will drop their wings fairly quickly as they are only used to swarm to a new location, usually a short distance.

Termites have bodies that are tubular sections (like tiny sausages) while ants have more rounded portions.

Whether ants or termites, you've got an established nest in your house and the fliers have just hatched out and are looking to breed and/or establish new nests. Get an exterminator asap.

We don't have a lot of termites here in Illinois. They are most likely flying ants. Don't let anybody tell you there aren't such things as flying ants, because there are! Termites are bigger, brownish and fatter than a flying ant. If I were you, I'd have an exterminator out to evaluate the situation, just for your piece of mind. Ants chew on wood too -- I had to replace an awning over my front door because of ants chewing the wood.

yeah, ants don't have wings, so I agree it is either termites or another kind of insect that really needs to be addressed by a exterminator before more damage is done.

We had the same problem two years ago, turns out we had a massive carpenter and and termite infestation. They were found in the bathroom around the bathtub. Get this checked out ASAP!

Those are termites. Call an exterminator. We thought they were ants last year, but they aren't.

I am in agreement with the termite posts. We had them, it totally grossed me out. If it is termites you will probably be able to look around and find some really tiny hole/s in your wall and there will be a little dirt right at the opening of the hole. If you see that, it's definitely termites. We tried to get stuff that you can buy at home improvement stores but it didn't work. Finally we just called an exterminator and they came and took care of it and then they come yearly and do a check and it there are ever termites again, they take care of them for free, other than the small fee we pay for them to check. To get the problem resolved was about $400 for us, but that was two years ago and we haven't had them since. Good luck!!

You need to clean with diluted bleach. Google it, the result is kind of disgusting. Apparently those bugs eat the residual organic matter found in the bathrooms (i.e. the residue washed from your body but stays in the pipes, etc.) My son used to bathe in our jacuzzi and we just ran some bleach water through the system and that did the trick. Good luck

1 / 3