Ants in the Kitchen

All of a sudden I have ants in my kitchen, it is not terrible but today i found 2 on my counter. I scrubbed the place down and think they are entering from a crack in the foundation just outside my kitchen door. With small children in the house and constantly in the kitchen I really don't want to use Raid or similar smelly, poisonous sprays. Anyone have a 'natural' way of keeping ants out of the house. I am looking for something that I can use as an indoor/outdoor kitchen perimeter barrier.

thanks

Thanks, my husband found both products and we are using them once all the kids are in bed.

Update # 2. We sprayed the Terro around the foundation by our kitchen door where we found some cracks and then after 24 hrs we silicone sealed the cracks. I also used a white vineger and water solution to clean the floors and counters and also the cabinet where we have the garbage. It hs been 48 hrs and so far not a single ant by the kitchen door or in the kitchen....not sure what worked but i am HAPPY!!!

My 5th grader is interested in the chalk, baking soda and pepper/tobasco theories, so we have found his Science project for next year. And we are planting some mint this weekend, if nothing else we can use it for Mojito's this summer.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to give me their ideas. blessings to you all and have a safe and happy summer!

Hi there -
We have the same demographic - I have 9n yo boy, 5 yo girl, 3 yo b/b twins and an ant problem! I was told yesterday that sprinkling Borax around the perimeter of the house works. I also know that they do not like mint. I put mint oil on a sponge and in the mop bucket when I clean (which I will now add borax to as well. Good luck!

If they are sugar ants, and you know where they are coming in, use cinnamon or ceyanne pepper. We've always had luck with the cinnamon and it's super safe for the kids and pets.

Hi M.
Ants don't like cinammon nor do they like chalk. Line the doorway with either and they won't croos it!!
Good Luck!!

I'd heard that planting mint around the perimeter of the house keeps all sorts of ants away. It spreads nicely, so a neighbor should be happy to clear some out of her/his garden for you. Could also make a cayenne mixture (cayenne powder w/ water - you'd have to look up proportions) to spray either outside and/or inside. Not where your kids crawl around, though! Not toxic, but super hot/spicy. Good luck.

M.,

I can sympathize....the last two years we've been getting invaded by the little buggers as well, as soon as it starts to get warmer outside.

One thing that we've found that really works is a product called Terro Carpenter Ant and Termite Spray, which you can spray along the foundation of your house, where it meets the ground. That will cut down a lot on how many actually come into the house. Supposedly, once the spray dries it is harmles to children and pets. We have 3 dogs, who have the run of our yard, and have had no problems with the dogs while using it. It is also odor free, once it dries.

Terro also makes a plastic ant bait, which is filled with liquid for the ants to feed on. These can be placed under things on your kitchen counters, such as your microwave or dish drainers. The ants that show up on your counter will enter the bait, feed on the liquid inside, and take it back to the nest for the others to feed on. Within 3 or 4 days, the ants are gone!

If you need to treat somewhere that its impossible to keep your children or pets away from, such as in window sills, or under pet food dishes, another thing that works and is harmless to kids or pets are Bounce Dryer Sheets. Ants hate them, and will not crawl over them, not even to get to a full dish of pet food. They can also be placed between your indoor windows and storm windows, which will keep the ants from coming in the cracks in the window sills. We also fold them up and thumb tack them on the bottom of our front and back door, and have had good results with that.

I hope this information helps. Good luck with getting rid of the little pests. They drive me nuts every summmer!

Hi there -

I use ant traps. They are small squares that you put in the corners of your kitchen. There is no smell! I also have ants stakes outside my doors. They go right into the grass so you can't even see they are there. Good Luck!

I just saw on the show "The Doctors" that you can put salt (they eat it, get thirsty and then drink themselves to death) or draw a chalk line - apparently they hate chalk.

My Mother-in-law had told me about using Boric Acid. You get it in the pharmacy section of the stores. Sprinkle some where your doorways are. I have used it by my sliding doors and it has worked.

Hello M.,
Ive been through the same problem, it seems between april to mid June, they come out and then disappear till next yr. Try the ant houses. I beleive raid has them, they are little houses with 4 entrances and are safe for kids since nothing spills out of them and the holes are to small for fingers. Here is the link. Good luck!!
http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_ab.asp

Wipe your floors, counters, etc.. with white vinegar.

1 / 3