Antiperspirant/deoderant and Breastfeeding

Are there "better" or safer antiperspirants/deoderants to wear while breastfeeding? I never remember to ask my doctor about this, so I was wondering if anyone else had asked their doc.

The only thing I would be concerned about is using something with a strong smell/fragrance. Go with an unscented or something light like a powder scent and you'll be fine.

I use the brand "Tom's", it doesn't have aluminum in it. For special occasions, though, I use traditional antiperspirant because it does still work better than the aluminum-free ones.

I am not breastfeeding but in our home, all of our household and personal care products are safe, non-toxic products, we shop for them at Melaleuca. They would be fine for you as well.

I never heard of any problem with wearing any deoderant while breastfeeding. The only info I got was to use mild soaps and lotions; nothing that would make the baby sneeze, etc.

there are natural deoderants you can make online out of baking soda.

Many deoderants have a chemical in them that they are now finding in breast cancer tissue....

You will never find a "safe" antiperspirent, but Tom's of Maine has great deoderants. I don't think I even thought about my antiperspirent use while breastfeeding! Something to think about!

You can find a lot of natural recipes on the web that work pretty well. There is one involving coconut oil that works GREAT!!! Who knew!
As far as the post about natural recipes for deoderant being dangerous if you don't know simple chemistry.......keep in mind that there are thousands of cooks making meals for their families everyday who don't know simple chemistry. Homeade recipes are all made with edible ingredients so you won't have to worry about endangering yourself or your baby.

I am a recent cancer survivor, and there appears to be no link between the use of deodorant ingredients and cancer at this time......

Here is a document from the National Cancer Institute regarding the issue:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/AP-Deo

As far as breast feeding, you should be fine to use anything you find over the counter - you may want to avoid Clinical Strength products.

Baby powder, corn starch and baking soda are all products that have long been used for the purpose as well. I'd caution you that using an "all natural" recipe may end-up being more dangerous to you and your baby if you don't know simple chemistry.

I tried to to avoid anything with fragrance in it since fragrance is known to mimic estrogen in the body. I also try to avoid antiperspirants, which have aluminum in them, although the studies are mixed about whether this is necessary. Other than that, I don't think there is much research on it either way.

1 / 3