Antibiotics Again????

Hi guys,

Well I'm feeling very frustrated lately. My 10 month old daughter is sick again with what seems to be another sinus/respiratory infection. She is in childcare about 3 hours a day and I assume she is contracting these viruses non-stop from there. Everyone tells me it is a good thing because later she won't be as sick but I'm sorry to say that that information doesn't help me any now. She has been on antibiotics pretty much non-stop since she was 6 months. Just when one virus leaves up another shows up what seems like days later. This time she is coughing and has the same runny nose (no fever, and seems to be in good spirits.....she is such a trooper). What I am struggling with is the decision to take her to the doctor for another round of antibiotics. I want to let her try to fight this out but I'm afraid she'll get even sicker. My question is if anyone has any information on the long-term effects of continual use of antibiotics at such an early age and/or advice on any other ways of treating these symptoms. Thanks so much.

I have a friend who's little boy had constant ear and sinus infections from the time he was a baby, and he was always on antibiotics. She finally took him out of daycare and had him taken care of by her mother at home, just to keep him away from all the germs they get exposed to at daycare. Other than that, nothing really seemed to help until he just sort of started growing out of it around the age of 2. Good luck.

long term use of antibiotics at any age is not good,and they are useless against viruses anyway,one thing I would suggest is to go to a health food store and get some liquid echinachea and give her doses of that to help build up her immune system thisis also something you do not use constantly but rather for short time then take a break so like use it 7 days take a week or 2 off then again for 7 days,I would give a teaspoon twice a day for 2-3 days then once a day the rest of the week you should notice a difference by then,you could also go to www.mywellnessoils.com/heidikeitz.htm and I would recommmed a few oils,the immune support,breathe, and allergy relief,these can be used by all age groups and do not interfere with any medications you might be taking,if you would like further information feel free to email me at ____@____.com put oils in the subject
hope this helps
H.

HI L.,

Eventually the antibiotics will not be effective. My family and I went through the same thing. We would take the kids to the docs, get ab, and a week or two later we'd be back for the same thing. We found out it was what we were using to clean the house with. The bleach, phosphates, and other chemicals in the cleaners were making us ALL sick; yes me and my husband as well.

I'm not trying to promote here but I have to share; I found an online wellness store that has your everyday things with no toxins or chemicals in it and within the first week, we noticed the difference; the kids were not sick for the first time in a long time, and neither were me and my husband. We've been with this store for almost two years now.

I can give you the info if you like.

Give me a call.

###-###-####

Hi L. ,
I know it can seem never ending . I have three daughters and we went thru a lot when they are in school . When you drop you daughter off at daycare , how many children are there with her ?
I do daycare out of my home . I do it part time for one lil one and I have rules that she can not bring him with a fever or intense infection . What does the place you do regarding sickness ? A lot of times people do not wash there hands enough when going from child to child .I use non toxic products in my home to help keep the environment clean from germs .
Also , since you work in environment with other people you could possibly be a carrier as well . I thought when my kids were little that I was a carrier for strep but figured out it was only during the school year . We can't protect our children from all germs but just know that eventually she will grow immune to a lot of the germs that are affecting her now .
Your child may be growing immune to the antibiotics . Do not be so quick to put her on them . I spoke to a pharmacist at CVS a couple of weeks ago and she mentioned trying the homeopathic route at health and nutrition store . This way you are not putting anything that is more toxic in your daughter . I know there is a great store on RT 71 near cardinal fitness (Oswego). I am not sure what town you live in but try looking into talking with someone from there.
Let me know how it all works out .

www.youravon.com/sharonsnyder

Ugh. No fun. Have you tried probiotics? They are great to boost the immunity, but also to keep the good bacteria around while your child is on an antibiotic (which gets rid of all bacteria...even the good ones we need). I use Nature's Sunshine's acidophilus. You can get it on their website or I get mine at the Village Herbalist in downtown Glen Ellyn. If you called there, they are very helpful and may know some other natural ways to take care of things.

Continual use of antibiotics is not good, and can definitely have long term effects. My friend's baby went through constant ear infections, as a baby, and then again as a toddler. The doctor just kept giving him antibiotics. He now has problems with his liver, and his body cannot handle any more antibiotics! I am serious! He is a very sick little boy, constantly in and out of the hospitals, and when he is at his peak of sickness, he has to remain in the house, away from germs. It is very sad. He is now a teenager, and has never recouped. I would first, find out if the daycare is using a antibacterial cleanser to clean up after the children ( such as a bleach substance), to eliminate the germs that are left there on the surfaces and toys that children are playing with. I am not a doctor, but, I would definitely be very careful on how many times you give your baby/toddler antibiotics. It can cause much harm. My friend, Monica will tell you the long term effects of doing so!

When my children were young, I went through the very same cycle: round of antibiotics, then after 10- weeks off, and the same symptons again, same cycle again. Until, a friend (not the pediatrician mind you) recommended an allergist. Sure enough, it was allergies, even leading to a bit of asthma. Once on the allergy medication, all was fine. Good luck

If she is catching viruses, then antibiotics don't work on viruses. they work on bacteria. you may want to discuss this with your doctor. Long term use of antibiotics can produce resistance, though she is still quite young and so doctors may be inclined to be overcautious. This is definitely a conversation worth having with your doctor.

1 / 3