Announcing a Second Pregnancy

Hi moms!
My husband and I just found out that we are pregnant with our second. YIPPY!! Anyway, I was looking for some cute ideas of how to announce the news to our parents, siblings and especially our son (who is turning four in July). I am horrible at keeping good news a secret, but if you guys say I shouldn't tell my son for 3 months to protect him, I will (but I must admit it will be VERY HARD for me). So if you have any ideas that worked really well, please share, I am all ears!!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas! My husband and I decided to announce by ipod touch as we were showing the vacation pictures, at the end we slipped in a picture of the positive pregnancy test. Everyone one screamed and congratulated us. As far as my son, we WERE planning on holding off per everyone's advice, as I did agree with the possible negative situation if I miscarried. So we never told my son, but everyone else was talking about it around him, even though I told them we weren't telling him. So a few days ago out of the blue he asked about "when he is big brother" and can it "please be a boy." I felt it wasn't right to pretend like it wasn't happening so we explained to him how my tummy is going to get bigger because there is a baby inside. To which he looked a little alarmed and quietly asked ... "did you eat a baby?"

My Cousin just announced that she is preg with her second... She wrote on her daughter's diaper on the front in big bold letters "I am going to be a BIG sister." and then she asked her mother in law to change her diaper. She did that for both sides of the family. It was really funny.

See if you can find a t-shirt that says "I'm the big brother". When he asks why he's getting that, tell him.

Congratulations!

Our son and daughter-in-law announced their second pregnancy in a cute way.

The family (both sets of parents) were gathered for our grandson's first birthday. At Sunday brunch each parent was given a thank you card for gifts given the day before at the official birthday party. Inside the card was a photo of our grandson wearing a tee shirt that said "I'm going to be a big brother." It was nice that both sets of parents learned the news at the same time. Apparently there is a website where you can order tee shirts with your own sayings, which is pretty cool.

I always waited a bit to announce my pregnancies just to be sure that everything was okay, but I definitely would tell your son prior to informing the rest of the family just so you can answer any of his questions in private. Through your art you can also illustrate for him how your appearance will change over the next nine months and maybe he can color pictures of himself helping with his new brother or sister.

A little about me:
I am a youthful sixty year old mother of three (35, 32, 21) and grandmother of one with one on the way.

With our first (you could do this with any though), we were going to dinner at Mom's house. We offered to bring the dessert. I had a cake made with a stork on it and the words "we're expecting". The cake was in the box until it was time for desert. We pulled it out and didn't say anything, waiting for everyone to look down and realize what the cake said.

M.,
My oldest daughter, who was announcing the pregnancy of our first grandson wrapped up a Christmas ornament "for grandparents". When we opened it up we were shocked because we didn't know they were trying. Now this was in the fall and don't know whether you could find an ornament but check out the Hallmark stores they might have something.

Congratulations!

you could buy your son and "I'm the Big Brother" shirt and tell him that way, and then take a pic of him wearing the shirt and email the pic to people. That's kind of what we did, I made a shirt for DS that said that and took a picture of him wearing it and we used that pic for our christmas cards and that's how we told everyone. Actually, I told my mom by emailing links of some maternity tops that I wanted her to get me for christmas, she emailed me back "are you trying to tell me something?"

Or you could email people a birthday present idea for your son since his bday is coming up, to a link of a Big Brother book that he might want.

my daughter is almost 3, I put a "i'm the big sister" shirt on her to tell everyone... including my husband. So she knew first. I don't think it hurt her one bit. toys r us always has the shirts.

I bought sweatshirts for the grandparents. Angels for my mom, lighthouses for my dad. Under each a/l had a grandchilds name. I put an extra angel/lighthouse on each sweathsirt with no name. When they opened them it took them a minute to realize there was a blank one but they figured it out. It was fun and the whole family thought it was a great way to tell them we were expecting. Good luck and congratulations!

1 / 3