Anesthesia for 5 Year Old???

Please help! I'll make a long story short. After several vists to our pediatrician and opthamologist, it is agreed upon that my five year old son has a skin tag, about 1/4 inch below his right eye. The opthamologist said there was a 30-40% chance that it would go away. It does not (physically) bug my son, but he does get questioned about it...alot! It kinda does look like he has a (sorry) booger under his eye. My husband and I really want this taken care of, and we're thinking that since he's so young, we should do it now. The opthmologist did say that it is a very quick procedure, but due to his age, that he would be put out under a local anesthesic. This SCARES the bejesus out of me!! Has ANYONE had this done and what were the results? I know that we will have a talk with the anesthesiologist, but I am still so frightened! Any thoughts on comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a million:)
****** AFTER SEEING TODAY'S REPLIES, I'VE REALIZED THAT I SHOULD HAVE SAID "GENERAL ANESTHESIA", NOT "LOCAL". BECAUSE A FIVE YEAR OLD WOULD NOT TAKE TOO LIGHTLY A DOCTOR REMOVING THE SKIN TAG SO CLOSE TO HIS EYE, THEY WOULD HAVE TO PUT HIM TOTALLY OUT.*******

My 15 month old daughter went under general anesthesic
when she had tubes put in her ears. She was under for 10 minutes if even that and was fine right after, she was running around the house and was not affected by it at all.
I wouldn't worry about the affects of anesthesic to much.

My now 5 year old has gone under 2 different times - once when he was about 15 months old and again around 4 1/2.

He doesn't react well to anesthesia at all - he wakes up VERY angry and very violent. I usually wake up from anesthesia crying, so my son's reactions make sense.

It takes a good 10-15 minutes for him to calm down - after that, he's fine. But, those minutes are VERY long.

Good luck to you.

Hi K. - I know exactly how you feel. My now 14-year-old had something similar on the side of his eye when he was two. His kept bleeding so he had to have it removed. It was terrifying at the time, but I promise you, once it's over he and you are absoloutely fine - and you'll be so relieved. I'm sure everytime you see it it bugs you - it will be over. My five year old recently had two teeth taken out - adult teeth came in without baby ones falling out - and it was extremely stressful for the 30 minutes it took because he was awake. I felt awful. I think it's better that your little guy will be asleep - try to make it seem like an adventure and get him some treats like sticker books or whatever to take to the hospital. Best of luck - Alison

Hi!

My son had an angioma underneath his eye, high on his cheek. It was constantly rupturing and bleeding and sometimes, after hours of trying everything we could think of, we would not be able to get it to stop. We took him to a dermatologist and they removed it using local anesthesia. He was only 2. He did get scared but it was a very quick procedure. I don't know if it would be the same for a skin tag or not.

You are right to be concerned about putting your son completely under as their are risks. If you trust the doctor then I'm sure it would be fine. My daughter had surgery at 6 weeks old, plus went under general anesthesia again at 4 months old as well and she did fine. Go with your gut. :O)

We just put our 2 1/2 yr old under for a re-circumcision. It was a 1 1/2 hour procedure and he was under for that entire time. I was very nervous to do it and put such a young child under, but the doctor said the younger the better because they tend to forget it easier. The only drawback is in the recovery room where they are not quite "with it" for a while.

It is scary for the parents while they're under, but after doing it with no complications, I would do it again.

Hope this helps!
A.

Hi there. My daughter had surgery at just under 4 years old and I was a mess about the anesthesia, not the surgery!!! She was under for about 2 1/2 hours I think it was and the doctor told me she did great. She looked absolutely horrible when we saw her in recovery. However, we discovered later after we left the hospital, that she was just a drama queen. Not a single doctor or nurse explained that kids can be dramatic and not to panic. We, as parents, had never been through anything like this and were horrified when we walked in to the recovery room to see our baby girl look like she was dying, she was in so much pain. Next, they said they were going to discharge her 24 hours after the surgery and we were mortified.

Here's the kicker, we walked out the hospital doors and she turned right back into herself and asked if she could go play with grandma's dog at her house LOL! She was petrified after all we talked about before hand, she just didn't know what to expect next. There were lots of needles for blood and IV and cathetars, etc. So, I don't think you should be concerned about the anesthesia as much as how much your child understands what is going to happen and how he can let you know what he is feeling when it's done so you are not confused about the outcome of the procedure.

I hope I didn't go on too long, but I wanted to share how scared we were afterwards. I also had to have my son put under at 6 1/2 months old for an MRI and that went wonderfully so I completely agree with the younger the better because he was just very sleepy afterwards, no complaints since he can't talk! Best wishes to you and your child. :) H.

This was from last year...but I guess I will go ahead and respond. My daughter has been sedated probably 8 times and she is 4 years old. The first time was for an MRI to check her puitary gland. She was 2 years old. She suffers from Precocious Puberty. During that time she was diagnosed with a large optical tumor behind her left eye. So a month later, she was sedated again (1st time using gas because they couldn't hit her vein after 3 tries...but we were at an adult hospital) and we had to do a PET Scan. They woke her up after the IV was in place and then sedated her again an hour later. 6 months later, we had another MRI done to check the growth of the tumor. A year later, another MRI. She then started showing signs of the Precocious Puberty and started spotting, this was age 4. So she was once again put to sleep for an MRI and we did a Suprelin LA implant at the time to halt the CPP. 6 months later, the implant was not working...so we did an MRI of the adrenal glands & replaced the Suprelin LA implant (once again requiring sedation). Today we had to do sedation to check the brain because last month she was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis. This can create tumors attached to the nerves in the brain....so we are checking the Pituitary, the brain, and the optical tumor for growth. So I can almost say I am an expert at child sedation!lol Each time has been different. She did better when she was younger. Today she flipped out after waking up and she cried for an hour and half. Normally she only has flipped out when she saw the IV tubing....they said it was from the medication given to her before hand to calm her down. Next time, we will stick with just the numbing cream & Propofal (spelling).

Hello K.,

Our little guy had a skin tag on his earlobe when he was born. Because of the size of it they had to surgically remove it. He was put under the anesthesic at 6 months to have this taken off. We also worried about the anesthesic part of the procedure but he came through it just fine. We always remember the bad results when we hear things on the news, etc. and it is very natural for us to worry but I think the chances of something happening are very slim. The results for him as he gets older will be far greater because they do say that kids can be cruel with teasing, etc.

Good luck to you and try not to worry, but before you know it everything will be done and he will be at home just like the day before.

Skin tags have been the bane of my life for years! The good thing is that they're easily (and quickly) removed, but since your little boy has one so close to his eye I can see why the doctor might want to be extra careful when removing it. I've also had a few that bled right after they were removed, and depending on how your son reacts to the sight of blood, it might be helpful to give him something to keep him relaxed. You're right to question the need for him to be put out completely, though. I always thought a 'local' just meant the immediate area was numbed. You could ask the doctor for more specifics about the anesthesia. Good luck!

I would think there would be something safer than going all the way under. I have 2 sister in laws that are doctors and they have always said not to go under all the way unless you MUST....life or death! When my daughter dislocated her elbow, to set it they gave her a mix of (I think) demerol and vallium. She was mostly out, didn't feel a thing when they popped it back into place and came out of it very quickly. She was 7 at the time. I would get another opinion before putting him under for a skin tag. My husband had some skin tags removed. I guess since he was a grown up they just clipped them off, no going under. That is a tough decision. It's on his face and I'm sure you want it taken off right so he doesn't have a scar. I would imagine kids can be unkind about things like that too. At the other end of all this...some skin tags just fall off on their own. Go with your gut.

1 / 3