An Example of a Feeding Schedule for an 8 Mos. Old

Hi. My daughter used to be on a great schedule. It was like clock work. She would eat every three hours and take naps at the same time every day. Now that I've introduced solid foods, her schedule seems to have shifted, which is fine, but I can't figure a routine out. Even her nap times are inconsistent. Can anyone give me an example of a typical day of feeding and nap times for an 8 mos. old. I realize my child may not follow exactly someone else's routine, but at least I'll have something to go by. My doctor wasn't much help. How often should she be having a bottle of formula? How many times a day? How many meals(cereal, fruit, veggies, meat) should she be having a day?

Hi, I am a mother of a 3.5 girl and my son is now 8 1/2 months. I had both of my children on this schedule and it seems to work for us. My son sleeps from 7PM to 7 AM. At 7:30 Am I feed him about 3 tablespoons of cereal with a stage 2 fruit. At 9:30 I give him a bottle and put him down for a nap. around 11:30-12 I give him meat/veg jar food maybe a cookie or cheerios. At 1:30 I give him a bottle (all 8 oz) and down for a nap (if I am not running around with my daughter somwhere)At 3:30 -4 I give 3 tablespoons of cereal with stage 2 fruit and at 7 a goodnight bottle.

Is she interested in the solid food?
Sometimes when children are not ready for solid foods they will have an issue with it like this.

I know that my son who is 7 months old has changed his routine too. I noticed he takes less bottles in a day, i think he takes 4or 5 and sometimes he will drink them all (6oz) and sometimes will only take 4oz. I give him 3 tlbs of cereal with some fruit mixed in, lunch I only give him a fruit and dinner I give him another 3tlbs of cereal and a stage 2 dinner. You can go to gerber.com and they have a schedule of what you should be giving your baby at what stage, its very helpful.

Hi M.! I have an 8 month old son and he has been on the same schedule since he was about 6 1/2 months old. He gets up around 6AM, he gets a bottle at 6:30. At around 8:15 we have breakfast (which usually consists of cereal, yogurt or fruit). He naps at 9. At around 10:15, or whenever he wakes up, we have another bottle. At 12:15 we have lunch (which consists of fruit and veggie). At 1 he naps again. At around 2:30-3 he has another bottle. Dinner at 5 (fruit, meat and veggie). Bedtime is 7PM and he has a bottle right before that. My doctor told me that the ideal schedule is wake-up, bottle, breakfast, nap, bottle, lunch, nap, bottle, dinner, bottle, bed. It works really well for us and he seems to thrive on the predictability of it. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

At 8 months she's naturally going through a lot of different changes right now. She may be going from 3 naps to 2. With solids introduced she's now taking bottles more for thirst than total nutritional needs. My son is almost 10 months and this is his typical day. Up at 6:30am nurse. breakfast at 7:30. Nurse at 9am and down for a nap. Up at around 11am and nurse again. Lunch at around noon. Nurse sometime in the afternoon. Usually at 1:30-2:00 when he goes down for his 2nd nap. 3:30-4:00 nurse when he wakes up. Eats dinner with us at about 6pm. Then nurses to sleep at about 7:45pm. Hope this was a little helpful.

your daughter's schedule is going to change as she grows...needing to be fed less and naps less. She is old enough now to fit into your schedule(more or less)...if you are a morning person then start her day with yours...I'll lay out a typical morning for my lil ones and of course this maynot fit you...and don't worry you really can't go wrong when it comes to feeding your baby....just remember not to give the bottle before or with food always save it for the end of the meal or after(milk fills up kids and they eat less)....I still follow this rule and my kids are 8,7,6,4, and 19months.
Our schedule:
7am wake up
730 breakfast
8-10 chores/play
10 snack(bottle if baby needs, 6oz)
1015 nap(if baby needs, otherwise I am 8-1130 errands/chores play)
12 lunch
1230 nap
1245-330 mommy time....(aka laundry/ mopping/phone chat time)
330 bottle(if needed...my kiddies have a small cookie)
330-430 playtime
430-530 T.V./pack-n-play time during dinner prep(those who can help with table setting do, etc)
530-family dinner
630 cleanup/bathtime(my hubby cleans kids...I do the kitchen)
700 bedtime lil ones/ me time...t.v./book/scrapbook
I hope this helps, you don't have to follow it and remember somedays something will change but kids are better behaved if they know what comes next...and the best thing I can stress is never miss the afternoon nap...all playdates, mommy groups, doctor apts and shopping fit in the a.m. or they don't happen...besides you don't get a lot accomplished with a screaming overtired baby....oh and since she is still young you may want to give her a bottle before she goes down for the night...remember schedule time for you, that way you don't get mommy burnout....whatever it is it can wait, "clock out" when kids are sleeping and be you, not mommy.good luck!

I can only tell you what happened with my daughter, hopefully it will help :)

By 8 mos, she wasn't really liking her formula too much but really liked "food". I cut her bottles down to 3. The first one (8oz) as soon as she got up (this was always her best bottle)(say 6:30), then about an hour later I would give her cereal (2oz of formula mixed with baby cereal), she would go down for her first nap around 9. She would sleep for @ 1.5 hrs and then she was up. I'd give her a small snack followed by another bottle (6 oz) @11:30, followed by lunch @ 12:30-12:45. She would go down for another nap around 1:30. She would sleep 1-2.5 hrs. Her last bottle would be around 4:30 (6-8oz) with a small snack. Dinner would be around 6 and then bed by 8. She never took a bottle at bedtime (I know most kids do) so I didn't have that issue to conted with.

Hope this helps!

My daughter is 8 months old as well. Her daily routine goes something like this:
7:30-8:30 - wakes up
8:30- breakfast (fruit, cereal, waffles, yogurt... any one of those, then a bottle)
9:00 - 10 - 10:30: plays
10:30 - nap
12:00 - lunch
2:30 - 3:00 - nap
4 - 4:30 - plays
6: - dinner
7: bedtime
She is usually asleep by 7:30 - 8.

She typically eats every four hours, and sleeps for an hour to an hour and a half. And she eats everything under the sun... except of course, honey and nuts. Hope this helps!

I have just started my 7 month old on solid foods regularly. He is on the same feeding schedule he was on with formula (about 4 hrly). When he wakes at 7, i offer him a full bottle of formula, but take it away when he first comes off, usually after about 5oz. At 8 i feed him rice cereal mixed with banana. 11am is lunch and i give him a serving of protein (we're vegetarians, so lentils or something like that) and a serving of fruit. Straight after lunch i put him down for a nap on my bed and he will sleep for a few hours. At 3pm he gets a serving of starchy food like potato or yams and a serving of vegetables. Then he gets a bottle to start his bedtime routine at 6:30. If he gets cranky in between meals (usually before the bottle), i give him finger food snacks. I have read that up until 9 months, a baby should get 2-3 starches, 2 fruit /veg servings and 1 protein. Hope this helps!

Hi M.-
When my daughter was 8 months old she had a great routine going that worked so well for us, that when my son came along, I put him on it as well. This is what we did -
Get up around 7-7:30am, Bottle- 8oz around 7:45am followed by breakfast at 8:30am- cereal and fruit mixed with whatever formula wasn't taken in the bottle. The first nap was around 10:30-10:45am and I always offered a small bottle of formula as part of the nap routine which included reading the same three books each time. They'd be up again by 12 or 12:30pm and lunch- a jar of stage 2 veggie - was served around 1pm with a little diluted juice in a cup. Around 3:15-3:30pm I'd offer another big bottle of formula - 8oz and then we'd get ready for the second nap which usually began between 3:45-4pm. This was their shorter nap and most times was 45 minutes. I found they went to bed better with a shorter afternoon nap. Dinner was served as late as possible- usually around 7pm and was cereal mixed with some formula and a stage one veggie and fruit. Then we would do the 4 B's - bath, bottle - 8oz, books and bed at 8:15-8:30pm. This was our ideal day. Some days they did not follow this at all. They would take an hour morning nap and I'd have to put them down at 3pm for the afternoon nap and hope it was longer. I tried to make the routine by keeping them up for at least 3-4 hours at this age. I tried for at least 24oz of formula a day between bottles and mixed in cereal. I tried for one jar of stage 2 veggies for lunch and one stage one fruit and veggie at dinner. My daughter had some teeth so she also ate some finger foods at 9 months - cheerios, puffs, veggie dices. My son did not until closer to 12 months. I hope this helps.

1 / 3