American Girl Dolls - Fort Worth,TX

I have a 6 year old (soon to be 7) DD. She wants an American Girl Doll for her birthday next month. I went online and looked at them and they are $100 plus dollars for the doll and book. I know they are the "in" thing with this age group but I have a hard time shelling out that much money on a doll. What do you guys think?

Are there any good alternatives for similar but much cheaper versions and will she be ridiculed by friends/playmates because she has a "fake" and not the real deal?

Thoughts and advice please?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you guys so much for your responses! I am a little suprised at how many of you said it was well worth the money as I thought there would be more absolutely nots! I think I am going to search on Ebay and if I can find a good used one for a decent price then I will get her one for her Birthday next month otherwise I will save a little each month and have "Santa" purchase one at Christmas. She really has never played with dolls other than Barbie so I think that she wants it only because her friends have it. I personally love them and if money were no issue with buy them all with their accessories for myself!

Okay, I have an 8 year old girl.
Since she was 6 she's asked for that Doll.
It is too expensive.
AND I also know my girl, everyday she changes her mind, about what she wants. Sometimes she likes that doll, other days she could care less.
So to me, that is not reason, to buy a $100 doll!
I will never buy, a $100 doll.
I wouldn't even buy that for myself!

I do NOT care, if it is "in" or not. Or if her friends has one or not. Or if she has an 'imitation' AG doll.
My Daughter also knows, that she does not have to have, everything that other kids have. SHE has her OWN tastes. She is her own person.
She will actually say, "I don't care if other girls has that. I don't like it myself. I like other things. That is me."

My Daughter, has never wanted the AG doll, BAD.
Just in passing.
I know that.

And, as for other kids 'ridiculing' a kid for having something 'different' than what is 'in', so what.
Those values they have, are not even worth, entertaining.
Nor will my kids, entertain them and their ideas.
IF a kid, tells my kids something about a toy and "I have one and you don't" kind of teasing... they do.not.care.
They know, they don't have to go according to what other kids say.

all the best,
Susan

My SIL got her the real doll but the Target accessories (off the top of my head I think the knock off version is called My Generation or something like that).

On another note, I think she is old enough to be able to decide if she would rather get 1 American Doll, or 4 barbies (just an example a I really have no idea of how much any of these things cost).

GL - after the doll phase, it may be $200 jeans that she wants!

My neice loved hers and she only stopped playing with it this year around 10 ... so 100 for something she will get 3-4 yrs of play sounds worth it to me.

Wow I hope she wouldn't get teased at such a young age! That kind of thing usually happens in middle school (and I live in a pretty upscale community.)
My youngest daughter has two, Emily and Kaya, they were both "major" Christmas gifts, meaning that was the biggie from Santa. She loves them, and has played with them (only with friends) from about age 7 to 10. I never got into buying all the outfits, furniture, accessories, etc. I think that's where they really take your $. My husband, who is NOT normally a handy kind of guy, actually built the dolls a bunk bed when she was begging for the one from the catalog (after he saw the cost!) and I made VERY simple bedding, out of fabric remnants.
On the upside, they are beautiful, well made dolls, and if they are taken care of, they will be passed on to the next generation. And I must admit, when we took a trip to NYC a few years back, having tea with my daughter and "Emily" at American Girl Place was the absolute best! For $15 we even got her hair done in the doll salon and it was beyond precious.

My 8yo daughter loves her AG Doll and plays with them everyday. So from that perspective it is a good buy. She has also read all the book sets for each doll and is now reading the mysteries. They are actually really cute books and they also learn about history from the book. I would not have spent that much money for those dolls but luckily my MIL was happy to buy it for her. She also plays with the dolls with her girl friends. Knowing how much she enjoys playing with the doll I would buy it for her. My older daughter however had a few and probably did not get her money worth out of it. My MIL purchased them too.
I have never bought AG doll clothes. I shop on-line and get great outfits in the $10 - $15 range.

There are knockoffs just cannot remember what the names are. You can
probably research it on line. If you are worried about her being ridiculed
by her friends at 7 and get her an AD based on that, you are setting your
self up for trouble.

If you can afford it, I'd buy the real doll and then go to Target or etsy for accessories and outfits. From what I've seen with my friends' daughters, the fake dolls are seen as fakes... not the real thing. I'm not sure if your daughter would be ridiculed, but everyone would know (and say) that it's not a real one.

My sisters bought each of their daughters one when they were around 7yrs old. 1-2 years later, they didn't have any of their original clothes and were just thrown around in the toy box, to be played with once every few months (BTW the girls begged and begged for these dolls). Now that the girls are 11-12 i don't even know if they still have them. So if you don't mind shelling out the $100 then go for it, otherwise understand that this is by no means an investment. Its another fad toy that they will get tired of, so don't get angry (as my sisters did) when you see that the dolls are no longer being played with.

My sisters also grew up with Cabbage Patch Dolls that they had "adopted" so they were more into the doll thing than I ever was. I dont have the emotional connection to those types of things. Maybe they wanted their daughters to have these dolls for when they grew up (both my sisters still have their Cabbage Patch Dolls from when they were young). Who knows?

Okay, I have an 8 year old girl.
It is too expensive.
I will never buy, a $100 doll.
I wouldn't even buy that for myself!

Just in passing.
I know that.

all the best,
Susan

I think it's way too expensive and creepy. Kids should be playing outside.

1 / 3