Am I the Only One? (Toddlers Taking off When Your Back Is Turned)

Our2 yo daughter has recently figured out how to open the front door and go outside all by herself. I usually am sitting right there watching out the front window or outside with her. but the other day my husband and i were hanging out on the bed, and he had just shut the door, and i told him to leave it open so i could keep an eye on her. but he shut it anyways. a few minutes later we heard a crash, i ran out to the living room and the front door was open and our daughter was gone. i ran outside to find her, usually she is just out front or went up the neighbors steps. but i couldnt find her. i ran all around our building, screaming her name, she wasnt at the park that belongs to the apartments. after 10 agonizing minutes of screaming and looking for her, our neighbors found her around the very back of the apartments. i was so happy that she hadnt been taken, or in the street or something, but still, i was absolutly terrified. since then we have been pretty good about making sure the front door is locked at all times so she cant get out when we arent looking.but Today! i was playing with her outside, and we came in to put her shoes on so i could take her to the park. she put her shoes on and i was smooching my husband for a minute, and i went to get her to take her to the park, but once again, the front door was open, and she was gone. once again i ran around calling her name, and couldnt find her. i ran back inside to tell my husband that i couldnt find her and ran back out again. i found her in the streetlike-parking lot trying to run to the playground by herself! a few neighbors saw her and when i ran up to get her, they all gave me dirty looks! i just scooped her up and took her home. AAAAAAAAH my heart!!!!!!!! i am pretty sure any more of this i will have a heart attack.

Am i the only one this happens to???? i am afraid those neighbors are going to call CPS or something , the way they were looking me! i am usually really good about keeping an eye on her, but sometimes she just takes off and she is FAST! its not like i dont watch her or something....idk. i am so freaked out!!!

Toddlers... take off.
thus you need to get real serious, about safety proofing the home.

Put latch locks on the doors, up HIGH, like 6' up. So that the child cannot reach it and get outside. That is really not safe.
It takes but a few seconds, for a child to escape/run off/get lost/get taken, etc.

And if running off in public, there is traffic, cars, crowds they can get lost in.

A Grandpa told me once, that his grandson, ran off in front of their house. Onto the road. He got hit by a car, and died.
Thus, he was COMPLEMENTING ME... on using a Toddler Harness, for my son, when he was that age.
My son, was a RUNNER, and VERY fast.
I had to use the harness, for this age of his life.
Kids this age, have NO IMPULSE CONTROL, nor is impulse-control fully developed yet, in this age.
Thus you need to use, precautions.

ALSO: get "door knob alarms". It will sound, whenever someone touches the door knob. You can see what it looks like online at Amazon. It goes over the door knob.

I had them run but never hide. Yikes!

My favorite was hearing my older daughter whisper to my older son, she can't catch us both. She was just a bit over two at the time.

Toddlers... take off.

My son, was a RUNNER, and VERY fast.
Thus you need to use, precautions.

I had them run but never hide. Yikes!

Time to put a childproof lock on the door! They are inexpensive and can be a life saver. We have a childproof lock on all 4 of the doors on our house.

You have had 2 close calls now. Don't let it happen again. Its natural for children this age to try to sneak off, its our job as their parents to keep an eye on them at all times in order to keep them safe.

I know they can stop your heart. Mine has stopped my heart a few times. Good luck keeping tabs on your toddler.

Oh, please! Never smooch your husband, never go to the bathroom, never take your eyes off your children for an instant!

Or....

Invest in some childproofing. We put handle covers on the doors we don't want our son going through without us. That's bathrooms, outside doors, guest room (where breakables hide.) When my brother was a toddler, he got out of the house and into the horse pasture. It's a miracle he wasn't trampled, but there he was. Playing right near the most vicious of our horses. We discovered my two year old son was capable of opening the front door when our neighbor across the street knocked on our door with him in his arms. We had put a mattress by the side of the road for trash pickup and my son thought that would be a cool place to take his toys and play. He was in his socks in the middle of December, so our neighbor realized something was amiss.

It happens. But now is the time to take measures to make sure it doesn't happen any more. After you're done with the childproofing, have a celebratory smooch with your husband.

You've got to get a chain latch or sliding bolt on your door - tonight. And put a sign on your door, your mirrors, your kitchen cupboards, your pillow, everywhere, reminding yourselves to LATCH it every time you are inside until you and your husband do it without thinking. That is so scary.

A friend of mine in college had a daughter when she was in highschool, and lived with a friend who also had a baby. They took turns caring for each other's children while one was at school during the day, and the other at night. One afternoon my friend put both babies to bed in their cribs for a nap (kids were 2.5 and almost 2), latched the chain-bolt on the front door, and lay down on the couch to nap while the kids were sleeping. She woke up to find a chair by the open front door and no kids. She shot out of the apartment and found them 1/2 block away, walking down the sidewalk holding hands! The older child had climbed out of her crib, helped the little one out, dragged a chair across the carpet so she could stand on her tip-toes and get that chain latch open! After that day, if my friend napped when the little ones did, she slept on the floor in front of door.

We had friends who put a latch at the top of the door so their daughter could not reach it to open the door. That worked and she was not able to go out because you had to know how to open the latch and she was not tall enough to reach it.

Mine ran outside in the time it took to put laundry from the washer to the dryer. She happened to be naked, and she decided to go and visit my 50 yo bachelor neighbor who was fishing in the lake, about 100 meters from my house.
I was gone maybe 3 minutes, and she opened the door and was gone. I now have balls on my doors that lead to the outside world, in fact nobody can get out - even my 8 yo, and my MIL! I had the worst runner of a child I have ever seen, I just had to turn my back to say hi to someone and she would be gone - she is better now she is 3, but it took a long time of harnesses and hand holding, strapped in a strollering.

put the door handle covers on the doorknobs, put a chain latch lock or something on your door to keep her inside, a deadbolt

1 / 3