Am I Really Overweight or Is It Just in My Mind?

I am 48 years old. I am 5'4" and weigh 170 - 175. Everytime I look in the mirror, I think I am overweight. When I married my husband 20 years ago, I weighed 110. I noticed that I gained every January that I had gained 5 pounds from the previous year. I am very healthy but not very physically active. I have been more aware of my diet over the past few years.

Thanks for the great and varied responses! The family helped me pick out new tennis shoes and we have been going to the mall to walk as often as possible. Hubby likes to do that with me and I feel lucky there. Also, I have been making a lot of fitness drinks instead of meals. I weighed at the doctor's office yesterday and I am down to 169 pounds! Thanks again for all the support and encouragement!!!

Hello, visit my website and complete the learn more section and I can provide you with a company I shop with online for great wellness products. livetotalwellness.com/huntleigh

A very general guideline for women and their weight is at 5' they should be 100 lbs. For every additional inch you add 5 lbs. So at 5'4" you should be approx. 120 lbs. Again, this is a very general guideline, but if you used to weigh 110 then it's probably a pretty reasonable expectation to shoot for about 120 lbs. A book that has really taught me a lot about taking care of myself physically through both diet and exercise is "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips. Good luck!

C.,

I am a 37 years old, 5'2 1/2" and weigh about 138 (a good size 8). I was hoping that seeing a range might help...

Best wishes.

You can go and visit some web sites that will tell you what is a good weight for you by just keying in your age and height. I like www.prevention.com. I read an article that stated many women are very healthy but that they are still at risk for obesity. If you are getting more concerned about your weight issues start off by doing some light activity such as walking. I love to use Leslie Sanson's videos. She has people of all different ages on them and she's so talkative and energectic. Remember you have to like what you see when you look in the mirror. Embrace the woman you are now and see the woman that you want to become, as far as your body is concerned. Good luck!

Unfortunately yes, you are overweight. I am too, and actually consider my perfect weight to be 170, but I'm 5'8" and even then 170 for me is considered overweight by about 10-14 lbs. You can find weight chart guidelines online in a bunch of different places or at your doctor's office. The chart will list what you're supposed to weight for your age and frame-size and height. You probably are starting menopause, but being overweight can make you feel hotter.

I am almost 5'10" and weigh 173lbs. and my doctor said that I was borerline overweight. I think the key is doing some sort of physical activity which I have tried to start lately. Watching what you eat is great but, that alone will not completely help with weight loss.

It sounds like you are overweight based on your height and previous weight. Perhaps you should make an appt with your doctor- OBGYN or primary care- and decide on the ideal weight for your height and frame.

I am in my mid 40's, 5' 3" and weigh now....180!!

My norm is 120 - 125.

I am in denial.

I'm FAT!!

FAT!!

I think to be healthy I should be around 130 - 140.

Perhaps we should both drop 20lbs and see if we FEEL better!

C.,

Best wishes.

Through the scale out. If you feel good and you are healthy and you are eating a good diet...what difference does it make what the scale reads? I am the same size as you...you are not alone. I eat healthy, but I have always had a slow metabolism. I think the suggestion to stop eating processed foods, no fast food, no fried food, read the ingredients so you know what you are putting in your body. If you are not happy then that is a different story. I think menopause affects how you are feeling about yourself. When the weather changes, start walking. You sound like you have a good family, you are healthy, just find your happy place...it still is there, just hiding. Be patient and be good to yourself. Look at your body and love it. I look in the mirror naked and say, "I love my body, I love my stomach, I love my legs,...". LOVE YOURSELF.

1 / 3