Am I Am Aunt?

This question will probably seem so stupid, but I really want to know! My sister in law is having a baby this May. I am wanting to know if that makes me an official aunt, even though it is by marriage? My sis could never have kids and I did not grow up around any extended family, so I don't want to overstep my bounds. But as far as I know, our kids are first cousins right? I mean my husband is her brother, so I am thinking I am all good. I just am so excited at the prospect of having a niece, but want to be sure I am correct, thanks!

Yeah, I am so excited! I am throwing her a ladybug baby shower in a couple weeks:) I really liked the idea about the onsies that say best aunt in the world etc.... Plus I only have boys so far so this is a great opportunity to get my pink fix!!! Thanks everyone:)

Yes you are!

You know, it's funny, because the English language is so imprecise, but in many other languages there are very specific terms to describe different kinds of aunts and uncles -- whether it's the mother's sibling or the father's, and by marriage or blood on either side.

But in English, an Aunt is an Aunt is an Aunt...is YOU.

Yes, you are an aunt! My brother doesn't have any kids either, but my sister in law does have a daughter and she is my niece. Enjoy, Aunt J.!

Yes, you are and Auntie!

Being an Auntie (that is what they call me) is the coolest thing I have ever been/done in my life! You get to love them, spoil them, spend lots of time with them...then give them back, HA! *It has made me come to grips with the fact that being a grandma some day wont be that bad either:)

Congrats!

Congratulations, you're an aunt. But never underestimate the power of "pseudo-aunties" my kids have a few and they are every bit as good as the real thing! Have fun with your new neice or nephew!

You are definitely an aunt and feel free to tell them how excited you are about becoming an aunt. My SIL shows minimal interest in our kids, despite me constantly showing an interest in my niece (her daughter). It's annoying and hurtful. I would be thrilled if she was excited about being our kids' aunt! You don't have to be blood relatives for it to be meaningful.

Yes you are an Aunt! Even after my Aunt and Uncle divorced my Aunt was always there , so it doesnt matter that your not blood related! :) Congradulations!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
You are an official Aunt!!!!!
Blessings

Yes you are!

Congrats on becoming an aunt!
It is so interesting, in my culture/language we have different names for different aunts (mom's sister, dad's sister, and in-law aunts all have different names). So you wouldn't be asking this question at all :-))
Maybe it's better in English, in that there is no distinction between blood and in-law aunts.

LOL......of course it makes you an aunt!!!!! Enjoy!!! =0)

1 / 3