Alternate Lyrics

Ok this might sound a little strange but has anyone actually heard the lyrics to Rock-a-Bye-Baby?? It's a morbid song! The baby falls out of a tree for crying out loud. So, does anyone know (or has anyone made up) alternate lyrics?? My daughters like to sing it, I'd like them to sing something that isn't about a baby falling from a tree. (who puts their baby in a tree anyway?)

I think I like the "mama will catch you" version. Thanks for your help.

I don't know of any alternate lyrics. I think this song is more about the melody anyway. I only hear people singing this to babies...not small children. Whereas babies cannot understand what the meaning is, they do get soothed by the melody of it.

This version came out of a precious moments book my daughter has.
Hush-a-bye baby
In the tree top
When the wind blows,
The cradle will rock.
When the bough swings
So gently and sweet
Baby will safely and tenderly sleep.

While I might not know of any alternative lyrics, I must say that I feel the same way. My 17 month old daughter LOVES the song. She always asks for my husband and me to sing it to her. We sing it,but both of think it's just wrong. How can such a soothing melody have such terrifying words? Good luck.

I was a child with a very active imagination and that song terrified me as a young child. I can't sing it to my daugther, but it does have a soothing melody. That is kind of what makes it even more twisted to me. A nice soothing song about a child plunging from a tree. Crazy. Anyway I made up a song to sing to my daughter to the same tune it goes like this:
Rock a bye baby, safe in your bed
Close your eyes, and rest your head
The sweetest of dreams are waiting for you
And always remember that mommy loves you

Wikipedia explains some possible origins of this very old song. The main theory refers to how Native American mothers would fashion a crib from bark and suspend it in the low boughs of a tree to rock their babies. The song could also have a political, metaphorical meaning that has to do with King James of England. You can check out all the theories and some alternative lyrics at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-a-bye_Baby.

Personally, I think the original lyrics have been sung to and by children for centuries. I don't think anyone has suffered too much from them, so I'd stick to the traditional. Have you ever analyzed old fairy tales? They're pretty twisted, too, but they're traditional. Have fun with whichever version your girls choose to sing!

I am laughing hysterically right now, not at you just at the fact that it's true.
I know and yes that Ring around the Rosie what were people thinking back then?
What about Jack and Jill? Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.
What about little Ms. Muffit got scared to death by a spider.
I don't think any of my kids sang those songs or was encouraged to listen to them.
There was a CD out that was just probably a freebie, it was put out by Baby Magic and was some of the nursery rhymes with just the music.

I actually had it and just gave it away on FreeCycle.
In regards to Elaine P. comments, I don't think that just because they are traditional we should except their twisted themes. Not saying that we should shelter our kids to a ridiculous state, but excepting a way just because it's traditional should not lend to you doing it.

rock a by baby in mommy's arms
gentle and sweet with all of your charms
i'll give you comfort
i'll give you love
cause your are my baby
sent from above

we sang these lyrics as a second part to the song once at the library and i loved it. i agree with you on the original version. when i come across lyrics i don't agree with, i just change it up to be more positive and loving :o) hope this helps!

Here are the 2nd and 3rd verses.... alot of children songs are about horrible things though... London Bridge is falling down.... Ring around the rosy pocket full of posy.. that's about the plague.... I don't know who writes this stuff most of it is unknown author.

Baby is drowsing
Cosy and fair
Mother sits near
In her rocking chair
Forward and back
The cradle she swings
And though baby sleeps
He hears what she sings

From the high rooftops
Down to the sea
No one's as dear
As baby to me
Wee little fingers
Eyeslink to a non-NIEHS site wide and bright
Now sound asleep
Until morning light

I always sang the last line:
But Mommy will catch baby, cradle and all.

Hi. Got these from Disney Baby book...

Rock a bye baby,
mommy's sweetheart
when the moon glows
the baby will rock
when the dawn breaks
may light from above
shine down upon baby
cradled in love.

Enjoy!
A.

1 / 3