Almost Four.. Boy.. Wants Me to Paint His Nails. When Do I Stop!

So, my little boy sees me paint my nails and wanting to be like mommy, he wants me to paint his; and I do. I let him pick the color and we go to town! I explain, usually girls only paint their nails and so on, but for the most part, I don't make a big production out of it. Two questions here.. When should I say "No" - Should I say "No"? And then, I get people that make somewhat rude comments. "he's a boy... what do you paint his nails for?' (They act like I take him to get manicures or something!) "Hmmmm, a little boy painting his nails, wonder what THAT means?" My comments to these people are pretty much along the lines of..."Really, are you serious?" but what do I even say!? They make such a big deal out of it. I don't think its a big deal. What do you think?

Them: "he's a boy... what do you paint his nails for?'
Me: "because he asks."

Them: "Hmmmm, a little boy painting his nails, wonder what THAT means?"
Me: "That means that his mommy loves him very much and he is free to enjoy his childhood."

I'd stop when he wants to stop. There are boys in my neighborhood that like their nails painted too and they are very well balanced and healthy people. Honestly. There are MUCH more important things to focus on than nail (or hair) choices.

I personally would've never started, - but to each his own - my brother when he was in high school used to paint his nails black.....he is normal - i don't really think that there is anything WRONG with it, just not something that I would do to my son. If when he is older he chooses to do that, then i guess we will cross that bridge then....LOL ~ I certainly wouldn't be judging anyone though. I think it is normal for a boy to see his mom doing that and want to do it. They don't understand that it's "for girls"....to them it's just being included in something mama is doing. I wouldn't stress about it - do what you think is best. It is really no one elses business.

Paint them as long as he wants it. Ignore the rude comments, or come up with a snappy comeback. Q: "What do you paint his nails for?" A: "Because he's creative and asks for it. Why does it bother you so much?" Q: "Wonder what THAT means?" A: "Why don't you tell me?" If they say what they are thinking "Because maybe he's gay," you can say "Good heavens, what in the world would be wrong with that?" If they are REALLY persistent and follow the "gay" theme which is really what they are getting at, you can respond, "The primary problem with being gay is meeting judgmental people" or "I didn't think anyone really thought that way anymore."

It's not a big deal. Just laugh at them gently and shake your head like you cannot believe THEM. Turn the tables.

Me: "because he asks."

My son likes wearing all my clothes that doesnt fit me. He loves painting his nails, He was a witch in a girl dress and everything two years ago for halloween. He loves make-up. He loves to play the girl parts in the role playing play at school. My family is very homophobic. I am not, my best guy friend came out when he was 19.

Do I think my son will be gay? nope. My family and my hubbies mom have made fun of him to his face, behind his back and in front of me. Mama bear comes out to defend him. He will just be a more sensitive gentleman.

You tell those people that he is a growing little boy who doesnt need comments from others to dictate how he should act. They dont get on little girls for wanting to play sports!!! they think it is good. endearing even, she embrace her manly side. BS little boys then can have girlie sides and not need to take heat.

Dont say no. let him do it. if you say no, it is like holding the candy up really really high for him to see yet you wont let him try it. He will slowly work through it. my son is a ballet loving, princess playing(castles and all) make-up loving boy. There are so few who support of dont make fun of him for it. So, my house is a safe house for him. he can do and wear as he pleases. He knows mommy will have no repercussions. when my hubby gets home i normally have to step in and calm my hubby down. yes he too has a hard time with it. it took me pulling teeth and hair to get him to ok b bop going into his ballet class. Do his nails...let them be loud and wild. Just tell any one who asks to mind their own, and let them know you dont need to explain why your son has his nails painted.

Sorry this question is near and dear to my heart. I have been defending my son for so long. He loves girls. Mine started young too...at about three...sorry i keep glancing up and see something new in question i have not answered.

Hang in there. Just be glad you will have a boy that is more sensitive!! If you have questions..or more concerns...or how to rid yourself of the bully parents out there..let me know. I am very very much use to them now. I have been walking this path with him for awhile now. I will never make him feel silly for it. I just hope embracing it with him does make him a better man when he is older. If it does turn out he is gay....oh well, i will love him no matter. Will i let people go see i told you so. NOPE. I dont know what the plan is for my b bop. i think it is too soon at the age of almost six though to label him a gay pride parader for life!

OH for the love of God!!!
People can be so rude can't they?
In a couple years he will be in school and probably in baseball and soccer. Your nail painting days are numbered, enjoy them.

What's the big deal? The kid is four and probably is just having fun spending that time with you. He'll surely outgrow it when he gets to school or even before. Enjoy this time with him. Forget what other people say!

Your son is still probably too young too realize that nail polish is meant for girls, so keep painting them. Who cares what people think. My husband always tells me that Im going to turn our 2 yr old son "gay" because I put blush on him when Im doing my make-up and I let him play with my makeup brushes. Hello! he is 2, and wants to be like his mommy!

My son is 3 too, and I paint his nails for him. In fact last time he had purple nails and pink toes. There is nothing wrong with it. He wants his nails painted like his Mommys and little sister (21 months)

At first I was iffy about it, and I would say things like don't you want blue, or green polish instead of pink?? But then I realized that I was doing the exact thing that I said I never would with my kids. Who am I to say if my son can't like the colors pink or purple?

As I'm typing this he is running around with superhero underwear on his head and purple nailpolish on his fingers. I will never tell him to not do something he wants because "people/kids will make fun of him". He is a child and life is going to be tough enough when he is older. I am going to let him be as free spirited as he wants as long as possible.

You paint his nails for as long as he wants you to. If that means 4, 5, 6, 8, then whatever. He's probably not going to be asking you to paint his nails at 13... so don't stress. To answer your question, I don't think I'd ever say no. It's a form of self expression and a very healthy stage for any child... wanting to be like a parent. I have a four year old daughter who likes to dress up as Spiderman and Superman. People ask me all the time if she's a boy. She has long curly hair and wears pink everything with her costumes so I usually just look at the person like they're an idiot. If that doesn't work for you, reply with "why do you ask?"

People are dumb sometimes.

1 / 3